Bird Scooters Have Landed

Transportation topics in KC
bspecht
New York Life
New York Life

Re: Bird Scooters Have Landed

Post by bspecht »

TheSmokinPun wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:59 am It's unnerving since there are so many good bike lanes all over that city as well.
There are a few, but the bike lane network really isn't that strong – and they rarely will get you to near the front door where you're trying to go. Living in DC, people do use the sidewalk a good bit – I've never really felt threatened by them, happy to share the space.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

If there were 500 out everyday (there obviously weren't) that would be 2.6 rides per scooter per day....which I believe is right on their number of profitability.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Though it's more rides/day/scooter because Bird started out with 100 scooters first few weeks, then about 200 and more recently 500 in system.

Lime rollout this Friday?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Right.
mykn

Post by mykn »

I've been looking into getting a motor scooter (Vespa, Buddy, etc...) for a little while now but hated that I couldn't find something electric. This is super interesting. If the price is cheap enough, I might try to import one of these if it's not too difficult.
mykn

Post by mykn »

WOW thanks for that link, that page has a link to this and it's EXACTLY what I'm looking for: https://electrek.co/2018/06/07/electric ... n-the-usa/
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Juicer pick up is Friday afternoon... Saturday am launch?

Moved to Monday and Tuesday.... So a week out for lime it seems
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

mykn wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:44 am WOW thanks for that link, that page has a link to this and it's EXACTLY what I'm looking for: https://electrek.co/2018/06/07/electric ... n-the-usa/
That GenZe seems like the model to beat.
mykn

Post by mykn »

smh wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:36 pm
mykn wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:44 am WOW thanks for that link, that page has a link to this and it's EXACTLY what I'm looking for: https://electrek.co/2018/06/07/electric ... n-the-usa/
That GenZe seems like the model to beat.
The WeRide Volta is exactly what I want but I think the company no longer exists
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:44 pm Juicer pick up is Friday afternoon... Saturday am launch?

Ideally Lime will plant deeper in midtown, next to multi unit buildings.
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

earthling wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:08 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:44 pm Juicer pick up is Friday afternoon... Saturday am launch?

Ideally Lime will plant deeper in midtown, next to multi unit buildings.
So far serving areas are adjacent to streetcar stops DT, Crown Center, 39th/Westport, UMKC/Rockhurst and the Plaza.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Bird isn't placing morning nests on Plaza. They took away the redzone but maybe with agreement they wouldn't plant nests there.

Hopefully Lime covers some gaps rather than focus (as much) on same commercial stretches. Is likely most regulars will have accts for both services, not avoid one.
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

earthling wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:44 am ^Bird isn't placing morning nests on Plaza. They took away the redzone but maybe with agreement they wouldn't plant nests there.

Hopefully Lime covers some gaps rather than focus (as much) on same commercial stretches. Is likely most regulars will have accts for both services, not avoid one.
I'm well aware as I'm a charger.

And like I said, at least with initial zones, Lime is very constricted in nest placement, whereas Bird has already spread out, which with time, I'd assume Lime would do the same.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

I love how bird is really filling in the massive pedestrian gaps we have in KC. I saw people riding through Penn Valley Park (near the lake). I've noticed people in several places were you rarely see pedestrians.

This may help deter crime as well!
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Midtownkid wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:59 am I love how bird is really filling in the massive pedestrian gaps we have in KC. I saw people riding through Penn Valley Park (near the lake). I've noticed people in several places were you rarely see pedestrians.

This may help deter crime as well!

Classic induced demand. Provide a system that's easier than the alternative and people will use it.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

KC appears to be much more tolerant of these than some other cities but will be interesting to see what happens when Lime rollout doubles scooter count.

I heard that Lime delay is due to Bird getting an exclusive period with the City, true?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Looks like Lime is starting to launch around P&L area for now, odd high concentration around 14th/Walnut. Is that really the case? As expected, just scooters no bikes. Time to install the app...

edit: They're dispersing quickly. Apparently they did first dump near P&L Live and maybe Juicers dispersing them.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

They appear to have launched all through midtown as well.