Re: Bird Scooters Have Landed

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I think I like lime more. Its easier to use and u don't have to scan a license
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Does Bird use the scanned license information for any Marketing-related purposes or sell to third parties?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

kcjak wrote:Does Bird use the scanned license information for any Marketing-related purposes or sell to third parties?
(iii) Bird may disclose aggregate and other data about Riders in accordance with applicable law, including, without limitation, general latitude and longitude data for Rider addresses (provided this would not allow any individual’s address to be separately identified). In addition, Bird may disclose individual data to a third party upon Rider’s express permission and consent (e.g. enrollment in a study).
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Grabbed one after getting off bus this morning and motor wouldn't kick start, acted like breaks were on even though 'unlocked', I heard scooter click to unlock. I finished the ride right a way and gave it a one star rating, it asked why, and clicked the problem. So far it's still showing a charge ($1.15). Will see if it makes it to CC. No issues with other rides.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

earthling wrote:Grabbed one after getting off bus this morning and motor wouldn't kick start, acted like breaks were on even though 'unlocked', I heard scooter click to unlock. I finished the ride right a way and gave it a one star rating, it asked why, and clicked the problem. So far it's still showing a charge ($1.15). Will see if it makes it to CC. No issues with other rides.
This was the issue I had last night. The braking action on the front wheel actually managed to tip the scooter and scratch up my ankle. Such is life on the bleeding edge I suppose.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Will post results of charge.

One view that thinks Uber will win scooter wars in the end...
https://www.recode.net/platform/amp/201 ... -spin-uber

Any word on general complaints from biz/residents so far?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

earthling wrote:^Will post results of charge.

One view that thinks Uber will win scooter wars in the end...
https://www.recode.net/platform/amp/201 ... -spin-uber

Any word on general complaints from biz/residents so far?
We had a Crossroads neighborhood meeting last night and lots of businesses were present. Most found them intriguing, but already had stories of people behaving badly. Residents love them. Of course, we sort of forget how badly drivers behave all over the place all of the time. How about this asshole?

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

It always surprised me how hostile many businesses are to the neighborhood around them. I've not owned a retail business but I feel like your role as a business isn't to shape the hood but to support how that neighborhood grows and matures.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

What's with the scooter that seems to be perpetually parked at what looks like maybe a countertop manufacturing facility over in Armourdale? Seems like a bizarre place to be staging one as opposed to, say, Strawberry Hill.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

scooterj wrote:What's with the scooter that seems to be perpetually parked at what looks like maybe a countertop manufacturing facility over in Armourdale? Seems like a bizarre place to be staging one as opposed to, say, Strawberry Hill.
Maybe it's someone's house? It also doesn't appear that it got charged overnight (55% at 11am?).
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Someone rides one to West Bottoms (near Edge of Hell) each morning too.

One popped up near downtown Overland Park almost 100% charged this morning. As if someone from downtown drove it to work. But it's gone now.

Seems to be notably fewer in operation today. Some stolen? Broken?
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

DaveKCMO wrote:
scooterj wrote:What's with the scooter that seems to be perpetually parked at what looks like maybe a countertop manufacturing facility over in Armourdale? Seems like a bizarre place to be staging one as opposed to, say, Strawberry Hill.
Maybe it's someone's house? It also doesn't appear that it got charged overnight (55% at 11am?).

I noticed the one in the Plaza is only at 25% charge. I'd be surprised if that could even make it back up the hill let alone get back downtown.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

earthling wrote: Seems to be notably fewer in operation today. Some stolen? Broken?
Twitter reports of them being broken already.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Less than 50 in service now vs about 100 two days ago. Could mean a whole lot are checked out at once as well (they don't show up on map when checked out). Some have low charge by 3PM, could be some so heavily used they need to be recharged mid-day. More likely a combination of many factors.

Also saw many riding on sidewalk along Main over lunch. I kindly commented they are not supposed to ride sidewalks, city may then ban them.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Is any of the problem business owners not knowing what they are and having them removed?

Also why are the hours limited? Is that city policy or they don't have lights or don't want drunk people (I assume the latter)?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

The hours of operation may have more to do with logistics of Chargers and they appear to start picking them up around 7pm. Looks like over 70 are back in service as of this morning. Another factor could be the reliability of Chargers, that is some may be holding them longer than they should.

BTW, I was charged $1.15 for a problem ride that never got started (mentioned earlier). I put in a Help request in the app yesterday but no response.

Milwaukee is now attempting to ban Bird. They are still in city but apparently about $100 fine if riding them on city street/sidewalk...
https://shepherdexpress.com/news/daily- ... /questions
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

City council should hear a resolution next week that will set up a temporary structure while they establish a pilot program. No other cities in the region are doing anything, despite at least two (NKC/KCK) having some migrate* inside their borders.

*see what I did there?

It's entirely possible that Bird will grow in the next two weeks, given the initial usage.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

KCMO has built up a decent reputation as an 'easy to do biz with' city, especially private/public partnerships like Google Fiber and one of first cities to officially allow Uber. It would be great to see KCMO work with scooter companies as perhaps a model for other cities - with the 'living lab' concept the City is trying to build up as other cities are hostile toward scooters.

Bring on the expansion...
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

So just did a spot check on map and it shows less than 50 again. In this case appears to be about a lot checked out at once in active use as the number of map updates per minute higher than through the week. Makes sense given streetcar ridership also higher on weekends. Will streetcar/scooter complement or compete for riders?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

earthling wrote:So just did a spot check on map and it shows less than 50 again. In this case appears to be about a lot checked out at once in active use as the number of map updates per minute higher than through the week. Makes sense given streetcar ridership also higher on weekends. Will streetcar/scooter complement or compete for riders?
Anecdata alert! My scooter trips have mostly replaced walking trips, and a few bus trips (my office is located on several bus lines but they are relatively low frequency and only take me to the East Side or the CBD). I plan to reduce the scooter/walking replacement trips when it's no longer 80 degrees at 7:30am.