Phase Three Streetcar Expansion

Transportation topics in KC

What route should the third phase of streetcar expansion follow?

Linwood: Main to Michigan(71 Highway)
11%
Country Club ROW: UMKC to Brookside/Waldo
16%
Country Club ROW: UMKC through Brookside/Waldo to Prospect
18%
Linwood: Main to Emanuel Cleaver 2
10%
City/County Wide Rail Project
37%
Other
8%

Total votes: 62

alejandro46
Pad site
Pad site

Re: Phase Three Streetcar Expansion

Post by alejandro46 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:49 pm

The Next Rail study provides the exact type of systemwide rail planning and alignment review that is needed. Decision makers already have a good idea of which areas are most suited for Streetcar and transit-oriented development. Armour is awesome, but no streetcar was needed for the development to take place. 31st/Linwood and Indep. avenue have much greater potential for development in the future vs. development that already occurred.

http://kcstreetcar.org/wp-content/uploa ... erview.pdf

beautyfromashes
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by beautyfromashes » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:31 pm

DaveKCMO wrote:
beautyfromashes wrote:
DaveKCMO wrote: Since no one is planning for this, it hasn't been decided. 8)
And I guess no time or money can been spent on planning on a larger rail network due to the stupid Dejanes initiative vote.
Actually, the city can do all of the planning they want after Q1 was modified by Council vote...
So, you said no one is planning for this, but said the city has picked Linwood as the E/W route, but we chose to move the Linwood Main St stop to 31st and dump E/W cars into the middle of N/S streetcar traffic on Main?

DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveKCMO » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:52 pm

beautyfromashes wrote:
DaveKCMO wrote:
beautyfromashes wrote: And I guess no time or money can been spent on planning on a larger rail network due to the stupid Dejanes initiative vote.
Actually, the city can do all of the planning they want after Q1 was modified by Council vote...
So, you said no one is planning for this, but said the city has picked Linwood as the E/W route, but we chose to move the Linwood Main St stop to 31st and dump E/W cars into the middle of N/S streetcar traffic on Main?
The city approved an expansion plan based on NextRail... four years ago. It was Main Street to 51st, Linwood to Prospect, and Independence to Prospect.

Since then their larger TDD plan failed at the ballot box, one route was plucked from the ashes and a smaller TDD passed by the people, Q1 was narrowly approved then modified, and no one is doing systemwide planning for streetcar beyond the Main Street and Riverfront extensions at this time.

normalthings
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by normalthings » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:17 pm

I still think that the price of a line to Brookside was way over exaggerated. I should have a basic report done sometime this summer about this.

kcmiz
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by kcmiz » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:00 pm

normalthings wrote:I still think that the price of a line to Brookside was way over exaggerated. I should have a basic report done sometime this summer about this.
I agree this was a missed opportunity not extending to Brookside or Waldo as part of Phase II.

I suspect the political will was not there to fight the NIMBYs, even if they were a small (but vocal) minority.

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by flyingember » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:05 pm

Good info on growth areas.

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2018/07/ ... wn/566078/
The 22-35 age group has mostly been moving into the near suburbs 3-10 miles from downtown as the 0-3 mile range.
The most interesting is the 10+ mile range grwoth is now static.

10 miles is
Claycomo
About Barry and N. Oak
Parkville the close side of Riss Lake
KCK through about 80th
75th and I-35
Bannister Rd and Troost
The close side of Raytown
Downtown Independence

This backs up existing knowledge and quantify shorter 5 mile lines distance commuter lines. A streetcar system that reaches 5 miles in 5 directions would serve the most popular growth areas and encourage moving into existing suburbs instead of greenfield development.

normalthings
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by normalthings » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:41 pm

There was a group at Union Station today with what looked like schematic type drawings of a jackson county rail system. They said something about having a campaign office open up soon, going on city visits, and some other things. Talked a bit about the Rock Island Corridor,etx
They were pretty obviously not associated with any of the usual suspects (Dave,Clay, etc).

Does anyone know more about this?

Chris Stritzel
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Chris Stritzel » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:23 pm

normalthings wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:41 pm
There was a group at Union Station today with what looked like schematic type drawings of a jackson county rail system. They said something about having a campaign office open up soon, going on city visits, and some other things. Talked a bit about the Rock Island Corridor,etx
They were pretty obviously not associated with any of the usual suspects (Dave,Clay, etc).

I wouldn't be surprised if some sort of light rail system would be proposed again. They may want to start a campaign to have voters decide on construction a wide range system.

DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveKCMO » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:02 pm

normalthings wrote:

News to me. Not to humblebrag, but I think I'd know about something legit. Jackson County has pretty much lost interest in all things transit since Sanders left, and the railroads scuttled his plan (and I doubt the prices or attitudes have changed).

There is a rogue group -- Citizens for Progress? -- that always shows up at KCATA board meetings to lobby for "cheap" elevated rail or a fantasy subway plan that's been cooked up for awhile. They don't have any backers or political support, as far as I know.

Also, there's no office space available at Union Station and we all know the billion dollar price tag of modifying the trench for more trains there...

normalthings
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by normalthings » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:07 pm

DaveKCMO wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:02 pm
normalthings wrote:

News to me. Not to humblebrag, but I think I'd know about something legit. Jackson County has pretty much lost interest in all things transit since Sanders left, and the railroads scuttled his plan (and I doubt the prices or attitudes have changed).

There is a rogue group -- Citizens for Progress? -- that always shows up at KCATA board meetings to lobby for "cheap" elevated rail or a fantasy subway plan that's been cooked up for awhile. They don't have any backers or political support, as far as I know.

Also, there's no office space available at Union Station and we all know the billion dollar price tag of modifying the trench for more trains there...
I would expect you to know of any legitimate plans. If the group is ever out and about again I’ll try to get more information from them. They mentioned their office was going to be in Raytown if that helps. It very well could be that Citizens for Progress group you mentioned.