Phase Three Streetcar Expansion

Transportation topics in KC

What route should the third phase of streetcar expansion follow?

Linwood: Main to Michigan(71 Highway)
13%
Country Club ROW: UMKC to Brookside/Waldo
15%
Country Club ROW: UMKC through Brookside/Waldo to Prospect
18%
Linwood: Main to Emanuel Cleaver 2
10%
City/County Wide Rail Project
38%
Other
5%

Total votes: 39

ldai_phs
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: Phase Three Streetcar Expansion

Postby ldai_phs » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:14 pm

Riverite wrote:Google thing?

I think the over arching transit goal was to double the number of jobs accessible by public transit and use transit to build the city of the future. Then they said they have a partnership with Google that is transit related

tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Postby tower » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:27 pm

ldai_phs wrote:
Riverite wrote:Google thing?

I think the over arching transit goal was to double the number of jobs accessible by public transit and use transit to build the city of the future. Then they said they have a partnership with Google that is transit related

New urban mobility platform. Only a few cities chosen. Details in January. Because they said Google, not Alphabet, it will probably be something not too far off of the core Google services. So not a self driving Waymo bus or anything like that.

ldai_phs
Colonnade
Colonnade

Postby ldai_phs » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:59 pm

Couple Updates: I heard at a meeting today that an LR line from downtown KCMO to far down 71 highway (Harrisonville was mentioned) would only cost roughly $700m. Keep in mind that a single highway interchange costs roughly $500million. The ROW already exists and is gov. Owned so The only costs would be associated with building the line and stations and buying trains. The cost to build a standard rail line is about $2-3 million per mile.

Additionally, I was a able to confirm that next rail used a consistent mileage price for all routes including their CCRW analysis. That means my estimated price ,that was much lower and actually affordable when compared to next rail's, is likely accurate.

JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Postby JBmidtown » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:37 pm

That would be nice

tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Postby tower » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:38 pm

ldai_phs wrote:Couple Updates: I heard at a meeting today that an LR line from downtown KCMO to far down 71 highway (Harrisonville was mentioned) would only cost roughly $700m. Keep in mind that a single highway interchange costs roughly $500million. The ROW already exists and is gov. Owned so The only costs would be associated with building the line and stations and buying trains. The cost to build a standard rail line is about $2-3 million per mile.

Additionally, I was a able to confirm that next rail used a consistent mileage price for all routes including their CCRW analysis. That means my estimated price ,that was much lower and actually affordable when compared to next rail's, is likely accurate.

I'd only support that if 71 was getting downgraded. I'd rather pay more to have it be somewhere else and have the possibility for good TOD and high ridership.

Also, just realized that it is April and we still don't know any more about the google thing, unless I completely missed something?

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place

Postby flyingember » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:33 pm

tower wrote:
I'd only support that if 71 was getting downgraded. I'd rather pay more to have it be somewhere else and have the possibility for good TOD and high ridership.

need to be careful here, last thing wanted is to take everyone taking 71 into downtown and move them to 435 into JoCo
and a lot of people would choose this path

ldai_phs
Colonnade
Colonnade

Postby ldai_phs » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:57 pm

71 Highway is a high traffic route with a preexisting transit ROW(the center median is built to handle BRT or Rail). TOD is still possible even though it is median running.

tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Postby tower » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:09 pm

Depends on where they are coming from. Going from topgolf in OP to the Sprint center, 435 west to 35 is the same time as 435 east to 435 north to 70. Either way is only 2 minutes slower than 71. Of course there will be more traffic on 70, but if we tore down 35 going into downtown, then we have more traffic on the Kansas side of 70 as well.

With a 35 teardown through downtown, the Kansas vs Missouri traffic would be the same. Just slightly more traffic all around but thats fine with me.

Of course, running rail somewhere else would be the more politically feasible option than downgrading a highway.

tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Postby tower » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:16 pm

ldai_phs wrote:71 Highway is a high traffic route with a preexisting transit ROW(the center median is built to handle BRT or Rail). TOD is still possible even though it is median running.

Right, but people don't really like to live next to highways. It's a little off-putting. It's sounds ok, especially if we expect electric cars to take over, but that's just your brain talking, and since when have humans ever listened to that thing when deciding where to live anything?

Just like busses. Technically better than streetcars, but why do people prefer the streetcar?

Return to “Kansas City Transportation”