Commuter coach buses

Transportation topics in KC
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Commuter coach buses

Post by GRID »

I know the KCATA purchased some commuter coach buses this year and I'm assuming they will be using them on routes like Liberty, Blue Springs and Lee's Summit Express. I have also heard that they use similar buses on the Lawrence to OP route. Has anybody seen them on the streets or have any photos of them?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Commuter coach buses

Post by GRID »

I did find one, but I don't think it's one of the new ones.

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

the larger effort was a trial. the only permanent coach route is the #510 (K-10 Connector), as shown above.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

DaveKCMO wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:17 am the larger effort was a trial. the only permanent coach route is the #510 (K-10 Connector), as shown above.
Is there any chance these style of busses could be utilized for an express US/DT to MCI routing Dave? I know you’re no longer with the ATA, but I’d imagine you’d have some knowledge on the matter.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

This is the solution we need now. When these buses are running full every 10-15 minutes then we can talk about light rail to KCI. If there is any reason this "can't" be done then I've lost all faith.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

FlippantCitizen wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:10 pm This is the solution we need now. When these buses are running full every 10-15 minutes then we can talk about light rail to KCI. If there is any reason this "can't" be done then I've lost all faith.
A consolidated pick up point at the new terminal makes it much easier to accomplish too
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Would be an awesome solution for now. Where would they pick up from downtown? I assume Union.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

FlippantCitizen wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:10 pm This is the solution we need now. When these buses are running full every 10-15 minutes then we can talk about light rail to KCI. If there is any reason this "can't" be done then I've lost all faith.
100%
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

UMKC Roo wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:33 pm Would be an awesome solution for now. Where would they pick up from downtown? I assume Union.
That ties into the other thread I found, use the lower level of the front parking plaza and utilize O.K. Street to feed into the terminal, have convenient access to street level with the stairwell renovated and the elevator bay to access and feed the streetcar line
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Light rail to US, Coach from US to MCI, no more than one stop in the Northland. I would use that.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

shinatoo wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:49 pm Light rail to US, Coach from US to MCI, no more than one stop in the Northland. I would use that.
I think just about anyone would use an express or express limited from US to MCI if they lived anywhere in or near the core.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

The airport is a hard one. An Uber from my door is just so easy, cheap, and timely it will hardly ever compete for lost I think.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

If we made the bus ride free then it would beat any other option
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

UMKC Roo wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:01 pm If we made the bus ride free then it would beat any other option
Frequent travelers at the airport are almost entirely business travel. Business travelers are not cost sensitive and instead are generally time motivated (company will pay for an Uber that is easier and faster).
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

normalthings wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:12 pm
UMKC Roo wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:01 pm If we made the bus ride free then it would beat any other option
Frequent travelers at the airport are almost entirely business travel. Business travelers are not cost sensitive and instead are generally time motivated (company will pay for an Uber that is easier and faster).
Our airport serves a fair mix of passengers that I would wager the service would be heavily utilized. The current busses that operate to MCI are some of the more full busses that I have anecdotally seen across the metro. I don’t have specific numbers but I imagine it would be competitive. Ridershare shouldn’t be the expected form of transit from an airport
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

normalthings wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:54 pm The airport is a hard one. An Uber from my door is just so easy, cheap, and timely it will hardly ever compete for lost I think.
Have you priced an Uber to the airport recently? Insanely expensive right now. I picked my brother up on the 30th because he was getting quoted 120 dollars for a ride from MCI to Volker, he lives right down the street from me so I just went and got him and brought him home. Almost as much as his flight from MSP! When I tried to book an Uber to Union Station for my early morning SW Chief departure on the 20th they quoted 38 dollars for the 9 minute trip from my house. I got a Z-trip booked for like 12 bucks instead but on arrival back in KC no Z-trips were accepting our ride and we ended up paying 26 dollars plus tip to Uber, again for a nine minute ride.

Yeah, folks with expense accounts clearly DGAF but there is more than business travelers using the airport. And if there was a frequent and reliable express bus direct from US to MCI for a reasonable cost of >15 dollars I imagine at least a small portion of business travelers for whom it would be convenient might opt for it.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

People would also be more likely to stay downtown, as it would have direct cheap transit
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

FlippantCitizen wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:11 pm
normalthings wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:54 pm The airport is a hard one. An Uber from my door is just so easy, cheap, and timely it will hardly ever compete for lost I think.
Have you priced an Uber to the airport recently? Insanely expensive right now. I picked my brother up on the 30th because he was getting quoted 120 dollars for a ride from MCI to Volker, he lives right down the street from me so I just went and got him and brought him home. Almost as much as his flight from MSP! When I tried to book an Uber to Union Station for my early morning SW Chief departure on the 20th they quoted 38 dollars for the 9 minute trip from my house. I got a Z-trip booked for like 12 bucks instead but on arrival back in KC no Z-trips were accepting our ride and we ended up paying 26 dollars plus tip to Uber, again for a nine minute ride.

Yeah, folks with expense accounts clearly DGAF but there is more than business travelers using the airport. And if there was a frequent and reliable express bus direct from US to MCI for a reasonable cost of >15 dollars I imagine at least a small portion of business travelers for whom it would be convenient might opt for it.
Yeah Ubers are insanely expensive right now. I think it was $80 from my place in the CBD to MCI last week. Drove to the airport and parked for the first time in years instead.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Yes but my point is most users of the airport are business travelers and therefore don’t have a budget
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

normalthings wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:35 am Yes but my point is most users of the airport are business travelers and therefore don’t have a budget
What percentage of people in an airport are business travelers? I really have no idea so I'm genuinely asking, 50 percent, 70 percent? And what percentage of that are working in a position with a bottomless expense account. There is some category of folks traveling ostensibly for business who might retain price sensitivity e.g. self employed, small start up companies, meager per diem etc.

The business travelers not contributing to ridership might be a piece of an argument for not building a multibillion dollar rail line to the airport. But these buses, c'mon man. This is the bare minimum. Having these running would be the minimum level of service to our airport that wouldn't leave me feeling embarrassed, which I currently am.