Current Hannibal Bridge

Transportation topics in KC
miz.jordan17
Strip mall
Strip mall

Current Hannibal Bridge

Post by miz.jordan17 »

My dad works for BNSF, and has heard in passing that there's talk of replacing the bridge with a newer rail crossing in conjunction with a new Broadway Bridge/North Loop closing. He said there's interest in using the Hannibal Bridge as a pedestrian connection. All rumors so far, unless someone can confirm what he has heard.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Current Hannibal Bridge

Post by normalthings »

Maybe a new Hannibal and Broadway bridges would change the landscape enough to allow for a train station in the north loop. Dave said that the geometries wouldn't align under the current set up, but maybe with a new bridge/ new rail connection that would change.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Can confirm that railroads have been approached about using the North Loop project as an opportunity to build a new crossing that would allow them to straighten out the kinks in the system around the river crossing.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

smh wrote:Can confirm that railroads have been approached about using the North Loop project as an opportunity to build a new crossing that would allow them to straighten out the kinks in the system around the river crossing.
...true, but they want to control their own destiny (in other words, don't bank on a modot/kcmo/bnsf cooperative).
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

smh wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:51 am Can confirm that railroads have been approached about using the North Loop project as an opportunity to build a new crossing that would allow them to straighten out the kinks in the system around the river crossing.
Did this ever go anywhere? I can't imagine that the Hannibal Bridge has many more decades left in it. In this photo from the 1980s, the bridge was already looking like it needed a replacement.

miz.jordan17 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:01 am My dad works for BNSF, and has heard in passing that there's talk of replacing the bridge with a newer rail crossing in conjunction with a new Broadway Bridge/North Loop closing. He said there's interest in using the Hannibal Bridge as a pedestrian connection. All rumors so far, unless someone can confirm what he has heard.
I would assume that the current bridge would probably have to be moved regardless of where the new one goes?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

normalthings wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:11 am I would assume that the current bridge would probably have to be moved regardless of where the new one goes?
Why would it be moved?

Once the current Broadway Bridge is gone just remove the small rail bridge over the levy and realign the track with a different curve that connects on the south bank further west. A ped use of the Hannibal could swing around to the east to drop down to a trail below both bridges
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

normalthings wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:11 am
smh wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:51 am Can confirm that railroads have been approached about using the North Loop project as an opportunity to build a new crossing that would allow them to straighten out the kinks in the system around the river crossing.
Did this ever go anywhere? I can't imagine that the Hannibal Bridge has many more decades left in it. In this photo from the 1980s, the bridge was already looking like it needed a replacement.

miz.jordan17 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:01 am My dad works for BNSF, and has heard in passing that there's talk of replacing the bridge with a newer rail crossing in conjunction with a new Broadway Bridge/North Loop closing. He said there's interest in using the Hannibal Bridge as a pedestrian connection. All rumors so far, unless someone can confirm what he has heard.
I would assume that the current bridge would probably have to be moved regardless of where the new one goes?
I haven't heard anything new. But I'm a little out of the loop.

Get it??