bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: KC to STL Hyperloop

Post by bobbyhawks »

tower wrote:
shinatoo wrote:
DaveKCMO wrote:
Southwest Airlines: We have just the flight for you!
Yeah, flying is fun and convenient&

If SWA is your answer then why look at high-speed rail at all?
Even if it was physically possible and was not immediately blown up/shot by a terrorist/disgruntled farmer, Hyperloop would be a lot more similar to flying than HSR. 30 minute drive to it, security, limited space, cramped, but with virtual windows (or none). And I'm not even going into the prices because no one has any clue what those would be (no matter what the Hyperloop companies say.)
Why would it be substantially different from HSR? Open-rail trains are actually more at-risk, and a closed tube environment allows for greater control and awareness of a breach in the pressurization. Ideally, you could release more trains more frequently, which means you wouldn't have to cram as many people onto each train, and the smaller pods would be less attractive targets than a huge train.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Train Break Down: Just walk off.
Monorail Break Down: Wait for fire department to send up a ladder
Hyperloop Break Down: Stuck in a small chamber with no oxygen where the nearest exist is dozens/hundreds of miles away.

The below video has some good explanations for why it won't work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNFesa01llk
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Airplane breakdown.....
tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tower »

shinatoo wrote:Airplane breakdown.....
Well yes, but it is also a harder target, and it takes more effort to plan. Take out a section of a Hyperloop track and multiple pods are probably screwed. Even ones past that spot will have to be... towed, I guess?
shinatoo wrote:QUIT SHITTING ON MY DREAM!
Lmao. I probably shouldn't be shitting on Hyperloop dreams because at least it gets people excited about a form of transportation that isn't cars or planes. It just kinda annoys me that people take this seriously, but no one with any real power talks about HSR.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

That video kinda jumps to some conclusions and focuses more on describing how difficult some of the engineering will be rather than whether or not solutions can be designed to account for these things. Obviously, the pods won't be without oxygen, and there will be tons of emergency releases that can both bring in external air and let people out. Whether it is feasible or not considering the cost and other things involved is another question, but I think it is disingenuous to say "busted" as if it is not at all possible. It is most certainly possible.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

tower wrote:It just kinda annoys me that people take this seriously, but no one with any real power talks about HSR.
What makes you think this research won't improve HSR? The difference between a train in a tube and a train on tracks is what it runs on. The material science and engineering involved will absolutely feed into more advanced trains.

At some point HSR will hit a practical speed limit and this will be important early research to find out if this is a possible replacement technology. The tunneling technologies being investigated could prove important for the expansion of train systems alone.

Things aren't all cut and dry and non-overlapping.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

shinatoo wrote:Airplane breakdown.....
In The Sky: They are very good at gliding. 777's can glide 130+ miles.
On Ground: Generally easy to swap.
tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tower »

flyingember wrote:
tower wrote:It just kinda annoys me that people take this seriously, but no one with any real power talks about HSR.
What makes you think this research won't improve HSR? The difference between a train in a tube and a train on tracks is what it runs on. The material science and engineering involved will absolutely feed into more advanced trains.

At some point HSR will hit a practical speed limit and this will be important early research to find out if this is a possible replacement technology. The tunneling technologies being investigated could prove important for the expansion of train systems alone.

Things aren't all cut and dry and non-overlapping.
I hope it will. Actually, while Musk originally envisioned Hyperloop as something very different from rail, most companies are currently focused on running it as a maglev train through a tube. This concept actually existed before, and was called vactrain, which was originally seen as the next thing after maglev. There will be quite a bit of overlap between hyperloop and maglev. And yes, we probably won't be able to get an open-air train to go much faster than 350 mph.

However, I think that Maglev or steel-on-steel HSR are a lot more practical, and would serve a need that is currently not filled. Who knows if hyperloop will? A working system may be 50 years down the road. Also, if we want better HSR tech, the best way to do that is to research HSR tech, not something similar.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

...or just follow the lead of Japan, China, Spain, etc.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

cityscape
New York Life
New York Life

Post by cityscape »

The biggest issue I have in that video is that he makes the assumption that Hyperloop will be a complete vacuum devoid of any air. When in reality it will be a vacuum in the sense that there will be more of a suction (lower pressure in front of the train, higher behind) and then having mag lev push the train faster. That is not as complex and doesn't require all the crazy over engineering that guy touts. He is definitely someone who is a nay sayer.
tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tower »

cityscape wrote:The biggest issue I have in that video is that he makes the assumption that Hyperloop will be a complete vacuum devoid of any air. When in reality it will be a vacuum in the sense that there will be more of a suction (lower pressure in front of the train, higher behind) and then having mag lev push the train faster. That is not as complex and doesn't require all the crazy over engineering that guy touts. He is definitely someone who is a nay sayer.
Funny, people on YouTube are usually known for their nuanced, moderate opinions on everything. :lol:
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

tower wrote:
cityscape wrote:The biggest issue I have in that video is that he makes the assumption that Hyperloop will be a complete vacuum devoid of any air. When in reality it will be a vacuum in the sense that there will be more of a suction (lower pressure in front of the train, higher behind) and then having mag lev push the train faster. That is not as complex and doesn't require all the crazy over engineering that guy touts. He is definitely someone who is a nay sayer.
Funny, people on YouTube are usually known for their nuanced, moderate opinions on everything. :lol:
the site someone of poor moral standing can find an inappropriate comment to report on most videos?