Re: Independence Ave MAX

Post by shinatoo »

the straighter the better.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Both 11th/12th and Grand have clear value. Both hit the financial district and government district well enough but you trade the convention district for Crown Center. Neither are bad choices.

But it seems like we're missing an opportunity. Whatever is picked riders will need to transfer to go a different direction and it misses out on serving a part of downtown better than we do today. Why is the only option to follow the same loop as so many other routes or overlap MMAX?

For example, follow 7th to Grand to 11th to Broadway, go down the 12th St viaduct into the bottoms and turn around and follow 12th to Charlotte and to Indep Ave?

Compare to 24 today
http://ridekc.org/assets/uploads/route-maps/24mwk.png
It trades 13th for 11th and adds service to both hospitality and light industrial jobs as well as adding a branch to the east village as it builds up.
This overlaps all or part of three original phase 2 streetcar corridors as well. It gives a higher frequency bus to connect to the bottoms which could use better bus service at peak use and it follows the transit emphasis corridors planned for downtown. http://www.kcata.org/images/uploads/dt_map_0215.jpg

I would trade a little straightness for better system connectivity without deviating from existing plans too much.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I think it should just go to RM and turn around at 3rd and grand in downtown. Transfer to a max or streetcar from there. It is supposed to be an express bus. Meandering through DT to hit specific points detracts from that.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

kboish wrote:I think it should just go to RM and turn around at 3rd and grand in downtown. Transfer to a max or streetcar from there. It is supposed to be an express bus. Meandering through DT to hit specific points detracts from that.
OR. combine this with the State Ave (101) and make this an express that runs a straight shot from Independence to the Legends running through RM. That would be amazing.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

kboish wrote:I think it should just go to RM and turn around at 3rd and grand in downtown. Transfer to a max or streetcar from there. It is supposed to be an express bus. Meandering through DT to hit specific points detracts from that.
Almost every model will show increased ridership if you terminate anywhere along 12th Street in the CBD. You would have to prove another benefit by stopping at 3rd & Grand.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Then I would do that little stair step over to 11/12th and do that little blue loop only. Its pretty difficult to tell what all the options are frankly.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

There are too many buses on 11th/12th now. They back up at main street and can't make that double turn very well.

Puting it down grand to the crown center would make the most sense to me.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »