Streetcar to the riverfront

Transportation topics in KC
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Streetcar to the riverfront

Post by FangKC »

Proposed Pedestrian/Bicycle Span to Downtown Riverfront Well-Received
“Based on our feedback, running a separate pedestrian lane is a huge piece of the puzzle, not only for the streetcar but for riverfront development,” he said.
In December, CityScene KC first reported that Port KC and the Streetcar Authority had dropped the idea of using the Grand viaduct as a shared route for the streetcar, vehicles, pedestrians and bicyclists, opting instead for a separate ped/bike bridge.

Making the job a bit less expensive, when the current Grand viaduct was built in the 1980s a second parallel span was contemplated to the east. Three support piers were built in anticipation of that project and could be used for the envisioned bike/ped span.
https://cityscenekc.com/proposed-pedest ... -received/
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

FangKC wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:07 pm Proposed Pedestrian/Bicycle Span to Downtown Riverfront Well-Received

Great! Now make one more adjustment to that design by adding a connecting ramp to the HOA's bike/ped lane.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

scooterj wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:42 am
FangKC wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:07 pm Proposed Pedestrian/Bicycle Span to Downtown Riverfront Well-Received

Great! Now make one more adjustment to that design by adding a connecting ramp to the HOA's bike/ped lane.
Or, we can NOT do this and instead add a pair of ped bridges over the tracks into Columbus Park.

It doesn't add much distance from crossing the bridge, you just turn at a different spot, and it connects an entire neighborhood too.

This would do the same thing but form a loop.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Couldn’t tell from twitter, but the 3rd/Grand stop would relocate for this spur

http://kcstreetcar.org/wp-content/uploa ... al_4x3.pdf

The diagram clearly isn’t the final lane design since there’s no way it could safely be used for both NB traffic and SB out of the storage yard.
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

Two questions I have after seeing that image:

1) What's the estimated timeline on that 3rd and Grand development? It sounds like most, if not all, of the public parking would be re-purposed there? Or is there going to be an upwards direction to that development to include all of the things that are desired there (excuse me if I've missed more details)?

2) Is every screetcar going to go down to the riverfront once this extension opens? If so, why the need for the turn from Grand to third still diagrammed? If not, would the NE corner of the River Market essentially not be served as trains bypass the relocated station?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

The current plan is for every streetcar to make the full trip from Riverfront to Plaza, River Market to Plaza, or Riverfront to Union Station, depending on the timeline for opening each extension. They are funded separately locally and federally, but it’s most likely that Riverfront will open before Plaza.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

DaveKCMO wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:32 am The current plan is for every streetcar to make the full trip from Riverfront to Plaza, River Market to Plaza, or Riverfront to Union Station, depending on the timeline for opening each extension. They are funded separately locally and federally, but it’s most likely that Riverfront will open before Plaza.
So, if you’re in the Market and wanted to head south the options would be taking the streetcar around the river loop or walking up to RM West?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:47 am
DaveKCMO wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:32 am The current plan is for every streetcar to make the full trip from Riverfront to Plaza, River Market to Plaza, or Riverfront to Union Station, depending on the timeline for opening each extension. They are funded separately locally and federally, but it’s most likely that Riverfront will open before Plaza.
So, if you’re in the Market and wanted to head south the options would be taking the streetcar around the river loop or walking up to RM West?
All stops will indicate the terminus/direction of travel. It will no longer be a proper “loop” when the Riverfront opens because it will be a tail track (the vehicle will change directions — like at Union station — before it departs rather than continuing forward as it does in the River Market today).
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

shaffe wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:50 pm 2) Is every screetcar going to go down to the riverfront once this extension opens? If so, why the need for the turn from Grand to third still diagrammed? If not, would the NE corner of the River Market essentially not be served as trains bypass the relocated station?
My understanding is you'd want to keep the installed turn from Grand to third because it gives you options. If, for some reason, you needed to bypass the riverfront, you still could.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

DaveKCMO wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:32 am All stops will indicate the terminus/direction of travel. It will no longer be a proper “loop” when the Riverfront opens because it will be a tail track (the vehicle will change directions — like at Union station — before it departs rather than continuing forward as it does in the River Market today).
Yes, but the only stop in the area that will head south will be RM West, right? So, if you don’t want to waste time heading to the river and waiting to turn around (like at US), you will have to head to that one.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Why wouldn't you be able to board southbound at the new Grand stop after a car had made it's journey to and back from Berkley Park?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

missingkc wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:49 pm Why wouldn't you be able to board southbound at the new Grand stop after a car had made it's journey to and back from Berkley Park?
wouldn’t that be a northbound stop only or both?
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

I just assumed both. Middle of the street and all.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

missingkc wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:58 pm I just assumed both. Middle of the street and all.
That would be a good solution. I guess I just assumed it was one direction the same as the one being replaced which is also middle of the street.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

I hadn't thought of that.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

The project continues to move forward. A design-build-finance (P3?) delivery is now be considered.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

In the 6/10 PortKC development meeting, there is a line item for increasing the funding for the Riverfront Extension.

Here is the agenda.

There are no other details there I can find - so I don't know how much or what is being funded by this proposed increase.

KCDowntown
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Another issue with the streetcar to the riverfront is that the new developments drastically reduce the number of parking spaces for festivals at Berkley. Being able to take the streetcar even to River Market has been a huge help, but we unfortunately had to drive this year (we now have a one-year-old) and it was a cluster. Not sure how many festivals are held down there, but traffic backed up on I-35 in both directions due to large crowds and smaller parking area. Felt bad for anyone living down there.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

doesn't streetcar to the riverfront fix that? less parking needed right next to it. can park along streetcar line wherever and get dropped off as close or closer to the festival than the parking spot would have been. plus people that live there can hop on the streetcar to get out to grocery store or whatever if they need to.

i'm sure i'm oversimplifying, but it does cut both ways. i know i'd rather live somewhere with great streetcar access year round and just deal with a parking clusterfuck a couple times a year.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

wahoowa wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:26 am doesn't streetcar to the riverfront fix that? less parking needed right next to it. can park along streetcar line wherever and get dropped off as close or closer to the festival than the parking spot would have been. plus people that live there can hop on the streetcar to get out to grocery store or whatever if they need to.

i'm sure i'm oversimplifying, but it does cut both ways. i know i'd rather live somewhere with great streetcar access year round and just deal with a parking clusterfuck a couple times a year.
That was my point - streetcar to the riverfront reduces the need for festival parking by spreading it out all along the streetcar line.