Rag Gathering - How to use KC Bus System and Smartphone Transit Apps

Transportation topics in KC
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Rag Gathering - How to use KC Bus System and Smartphone Transit Apps

Post by earthling »

Per other thread discussion, post here or message me if you'd like to take a trip on MAX bus from Union Station to Plaza and Waldo then back and learn how to use transit apps by actually doing it...

Trip 1 - Sat May 28, 2016, 10AM (trial run completed)
Trip 2 - Sat June 18, 2016, 10AM (completed)
Trip 3 - Sat July 23, 2016, 10AM (2 slots open)
Trip 4 - Sat Aug 20, 2016, 10AM (4 slots open)

(if rainy day, will likely reschedule)

How to use KC Bus System/Transit Apps - Rag Gathering...
- Learn how to use KC bus system (finding stops, using fare box, getting transfer ticket, signal to stop, using bike racks, drink/eat/pet rules)
- How to use transit apps to find bus to destination (Google Maps and maybe other smartphone transit apps)
- Free, 100% free (except for bus fares). Bring 4 quarters and 2 $1 bills. Fare is $1.50 with 2 hour transfer, will need another $1.50 if past 2 hours
- Real-time real world use taking most efficient bus route based on whatever Google Maps or other transit app tells us at the time/place
- How to use transfer ticket to transfer to other bus (and transfer tips)
- Includes a printed bus tips sheet with all the basic info
- Free, tips not accepted (you can pay forward by teaching/promoting others to ride bus)
- Smartphone not required but using transit apps will be main focus, bring fully charged if you have one
- The trip should take 2.5 - 3 hours or so but plan on up to 4 hours available (10am-2pm)
- Will likely cancel/reschedule if rainy day
- small print: Not affiliated with KCATA, trip is at your own risk

Itinerary
We will first ride from Union Station to Plaza on MAX Orange line. Trips will generally be along MAX Orange line (map below) or Broadway/SW Tfway. Will come to agreement with those signed up for final trip itinerary before leaving. On the way out, we'll use MAX Orange route down Main heading south. On way back, we'll use Google Maps on smartphone to tell us best bus to take in realtime from wherever we are, so who knows which bus routes we'll be taking - but it will be between Downtown and Waldo. I'll spend time with each with smartphone on how to use transit apps. Come prepared with mindset of an adventurous traveler (vs. rushing to get from A to B).

Signup
Will take 1-4 signups per day - free (no tips please).

Post here, private message me or send to this email address...
kcbustrips@gmail.com

Orange MAX line... also see http://www.kcata.org
Last edited by earthling on Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:15 pm, edited 21 times in total.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Rag Gathering - How to use KC Bus System

Post by swid »

I'm out of town on the 28th, but can do the 18th...
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Great, I've decided to take bcycle ride out of both dates for now. Maybe a future date. Will PM you when more details firmed up.
mykn

Post by mykn »

Same here. I'm pretty sure 18th would work.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

OK great. Message me or post here if any questions. Let me know if bringing someone else along. Would like to keep total up to 4, maybe 5 or 6.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Great idea!
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

We have another who is interested via PM. Will keep PM signups private. If you are bringing others, please let me know as I'd rather have only 4 people per trip, maybe up to 6.
taxi wrote:Great idea!
This could also expand into getting the most out of Smart City services that are being developed downtown. Will see where this goes. Can beta test this with raggers and maybe take it to next level outside the rag. If other raggers who are experienced bus riders would like to volunteer leading future trips, ping me.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Rag Gathering - How to use KC Bus System and Smartphone Transit Apps

Post by earthling »

We have a 4th person interested for Trip 2 Jun 18 (a friend of a friend, not on kcrag) - a couple are still pending though. I'll add a Trip 3 date in first post but still no signups for Trip 1 if anyone interested. If any raggers who already ride bus want to tag along as a potential volunteer for future trips, let me know.

For those signed up, we'll meet inside Union Station, walk through the tipsheet and setup those with smartphones for transit apps and make sure it's working with GPS before leaving (if you haven't already). We'll test some sample destinations to various places from Union Station and I'll explain how it works. Then we'll take MAX southbound then back based on what transit apps tell us. I'm thinking it will be about 2-3 hours total time, but plan on 4 hours available (10AM-2PM) so we're not rushing others.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

The trip this Saturday (June 18, 10AM) is still ON with 4 people tentatively signed up. Please PM me or post here if still planning on going (or email in original post). Also taking signups for Sat July 23.

Check out the first post again...
mykn

Post by mykn »

earthling wrote:The trip this Saturday (June 18, 10AM) is still ON with 4 people tentatively signed up. Please PM me or post here if still planning on going (or email in original post). Also taking signups for Sat July 23.

Check out the first post again...
It looks like this will conflict with family in town this weekend, sorry, you can give my spot to someone else.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Thanks for letting me know. If anyone else up for this Saturday, please let me know by Friday. I have one still planning to come and another tentative. 2 slots open.

See first post for what we'll be doing. I may shorten it and end at Plaza instead of going to Waldo. Then hop around variety of buses between Plaza/downtown instead of longer rides. We'll come to agreement on plan before leaving from Union Station. Should be under 3 hours but still plan on 4 hours available (10a-2p).

Saturday so far shows clear but hot. Bring bottled water if you'd like. The bus system allows drinks as long as it has a lid.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

swid, please check your PM about tomorrow.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

So we now have 3 coming. If another 1 or 2 would like to come tomorrow morning, let me know today. Or let me know if interested in July 23 date, even if tentative.

- Meet Saturday 18th 10AM at Union Station (I'll PM you today the specific location and what I'll be wearing)
- Bring at least 4 quarters and two $1 bills
- Bring smartphone or small tablet fully charged if you have one
- Suggest bringing bottled water or get at station (can also bring backpack if you want)
- We'll spend 10+ minutes setting up phones and discussing tip sheet before leaving
- Will target to be back @ Union Station around 1PM or so - 2PM latest
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

So we had a great time Saturday. We hit Union Station to Plaza, then different bus to Westport, then another bus to 10th Main Transit Center using whatever bus line Google Maps told us. Using Google Maps makes a big difference especially if you don't know the lines. It takes the uncertainty of many bus lines and their unknown routes out of the equation as Google Maps lays it all out, only showing options to a specific destination. This looks to be worth doing one day a month if the interest continues. There seems to be less than 100 active users on the Rag so may put together a Facebook page and put flyers in coffee shops, downtown apt community boards to get the word out.

If you know someone interested not on the Rag, I also have an email address setup...

kcbustrips@gmail.com

Again the guided trip is free (except bus fares) and no tips accepted. The next trip is Saturday July 23rd. If interested (even if tentative) post here, PM or email me. If you have never ridden the bus, the guided trip should get you comfortable with how it works, especially easier with Google Maps.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

I've got 2 confirmed and 1 tentative for July 23, up to 2 slots open. And have added Aug 20 trip.

Have updated the first post with some refinements based on the last trip. PM/email me or post here if even mildly interested. Still keeping it limited to Raggers for now. May do Facebook page with flyer at some point.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

For those signed up for tomorrow, check your email.