POLL: Requesting streetcar stops?

Transportation topics in KC

Should streetcar stop at every stop (like light rail) or only when passenger requests (like bus)?

Poll ended at Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:42 am

Always
34%
Only when requested
34%
Depends
31%

Total votes: 32

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

POLL: Requesting streetcar stops?

Post by DaveKCMO »

There is no rule book on this, so it's up to the operator to decide.

Our streetcars are already equipped with stop request buttons (on doors and elsewhere). If you're boarding, your existence on the platform would tell the operator to stop. It was a standard feature, so it's not like this was a waste of money.

The alternative is the streetcar stops at every stop, regardless of anyone getting on or off. The benefit is that you have to pay less attention to where you are, especially if you are unfamiliar with downtown.

There are several stops that are expected to have very low ridership initially -- all in the river market.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: POLL: Requesting streetcar stops?

Post by KCPowercat »

My argument for always is to make this as easy as possible for new users of the system... Whether residents or tourists.

Could there be a compromise of low ridership stops (North loop) ... That would be announced as a request only stops? Or is that more confusing?
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

Voted Depends. Stops at every stop until the system (and people) are "broken in" with data showing stop usage. I'm assuming that data will be collected. Then the infrequent use stops can be request only.
Last edited by droopy on Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

I don't mind a break-in period, but whatever is decided, be consistent. Either always stop at every stop, or always request. Not determined by the stop itself.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote:My argument for always is to make this as easy as possible for new users of the system... Whether residents or tourists.

Could there be a compromise of low ridership stops (North loop) ... That would be announced as a request only stops? Or is that more confusing?
for me, it's one or the other. exceptions create confusion, especially on such a short route.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Depends voters need to voice what that means to them.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

I would say start with requests and if the data shows that there are only 1-4 stops that are getting skipped over on a normal basis then switch to always stopping.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

I'm in favor of always stopping initially. It will make riding less confusing and first-time riders (and there will be a lot of those; without a fare to pay many people will decide to take a ride on a lark). Once it has been running for a while, re-evaluate. If there are stops with consistently low ridership, consider changing those to request only, or if it appears to have trouble maintaining performance.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

I vote always.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I like that idea and it seems not confusing.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

The downside to not stopping is people might not be standing AT the stop and the train doesn't slow down and they're walking to it and are almost there when it rolls right by. This could be especially true in weather at the stops with no cover.

But I can see the benefit of not stopping.

I like the idea of starting doing all and then polling riders. Stick someone on the train a few times early to mid summer to poll people
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I voted "it depends".

To me, if there is no one in the train and no one at the station (or anywhere near it)- don't stop. If there is anyone on the train stop at all stops. If the train is empty and you see someone at (or i guess if there are even pedestrians nearby?) a station- stop. In general- stop at all stops, but, if it is ridiculous to make a stop (ie. no one is around and the train is just blocking cars ::gasps:: ) then lets be practical and not stop.

If this is silly and can't happen- then I change my vote to stop at all stops.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I can see not stopping if the train is empty and no one is waiting. That's easy.
But how do you validate someone isn't waiting? This seems destined to create people who feel the train isn't working and shouldn't be expanded.

"I was sitting on the wall drinking my coffee and reading my paper and it just kept on going." when the person wasn't paying attention and was facing the other way. If the train stops they can't complain.

So to make on demand work there needs to be some kind of rider education that for the train to stop you must be on the raised platform or it's wall. They don't judge if the person is just sitting there, being there gets them to stop. That could work well with a simple sign at the shelter after an introductory all stops period.

The driver shouldn't be expected to interpret if someone wants the train or not who is some unknown distance away.

And to have them be on the lookout for people that isn't a direction they already scan, cars leaving a parking spot is the same angle as the stop, is not smart for safety. Someone will complain the driver didn't see them and they were just around the corner (think 19th) and the driver could have waited.

It either needs to be always stop or have a clearly understand rule that if you're not there the train doesn't stop for you.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

What is the policy for busses? This is a situation where a decision is not always going to be 100% right or 100% wrong. There will always be a group of people, large or small, who will be unhappy and complain. If the streetcars do what busses do then at least the policy is uniform in the city.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:What is the policy for busses? This is a situation where a decision is not always going to be 100% right or 100% wrong. There will always be a group of people, large or small, who will be unhappy and complain. If the streetcars do what busses do then at least the policy is uniform in the city.
all buses -- including our "rail-like" MAX -- stop by request only.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Rail isn't bus
KCTOGA
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCTOGA »

DaveKCMO wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:My argument for always is to make this as easy as possible for new users of the system... Whether residents or tourists.

for me, it's one or the other. exceptions create confusion, especially on such a short route.
I agree with no confusion. Please either one way or the other. Probably missed this but, will all stops be announced and if so how? By intersection only or maybe intersection and district?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Stop name. Crossroads. North loop. Library. Etc
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

pash wrote:
droopy wrote:Voted Depends. Stops at every stop until the system (and people) are "broken in" with data showing stop usage. I'm assuming that data will be collected. Then the infrequent use stops can be request only.
Do this.

Once it's been determined that a stop will not be made automatically, use the PA to alert passengers. For example, if the North Loop stop turns out to have low stop demand, then when the streetcar is leaving the Delaware Street stop southbound, a message on the PA should announce, "The next scheduled stop is Library, Ninth & Main. To disembark at North Loop, Seventh & Main, please press the button to request a stop now."
Too much talky-talky. Especially for a PA system.