POLL: Requesting streetcar stops?

Transportation topics in KC

Should streetcar stop at every stop (like light rail) or only when passenger requests (like bus)?

Poll ended at Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:42 am

Always
34%
Only when requested
34%
Depends
31%

Total votes: 32

flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: POLL: Requesting streetcar stops?

Post by flyingember »

chingon wrote:
pash wrote:
droopy wrote:Voted Depends. Stops at every stop until the system (and people) are "broken in" with data showing stop usage. I'm assuming that data will be collected. Then the infrequent use stops can be request only.
Do this.

Once it's been determined that a stop will not be made automatically, use the PA to alert passengers. For example, if the North Loop stop turns out to have low stop demand, then when the streetcar is leaving the Delaware Street stop southbound, a message on the PA should announce, "The next scheduled stop is Library, Ninth & Main. To disembark at North Loop, Seventh & Main, please press the button to request a stop now."
Too much talky-talky. Especially for a PA system.
"A reminder, All riders must press the stop button to exit" played on some cycle
You want to use repeatable phrases for recordings
You put signs up explaining when/how so it stays short
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

I would hope the vehicles have a route map on the inside in multiple places that show the route and the cross streets.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

As much as I want to help the tourists, I'm not keen on a lot of audible clutter during my leisurely Sunday morning ride to the city market.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

pash wrote:Really, adding two words—"Library, Ninth Street" instead of "Library"—is audible clutter? ... Maybe we can split the difference and get rid of the stop names, leaving only the cross streets. :P

By the way—since I'm already whining about this vitally important stuff—what's up with the "Metro Center" name? Presumably it was a reference to the Metro bus plaza, but if it wasn't odd enough to name a streetcar stop after a bus brand, the brand was already being retired when the name was chosen, and the bus routes are being re-routed to Grand. So now the most central streetcar stop in our business district is named after a bus plaza that's about to disappear and a bus brand that disappeared even before the streetcar started rolling?
Maybe it also means Center of the Metro area....... I agree that it seems weird to have named it that.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

pash wrote:Maybe. But I imagine it was indeed named after the Metro brand, mimicking the name of the "Metro Center" stations in DC and LA. (Each of the stations in those cities is a hub of a subway system operating under a "Metro" brand, and in DC's case it's also the transit agency's main office and customer-service center.) Part of the reason I don't like the name, other than the bizarreness of it after the re-branding, etc., is how generic it seems in light of the name's usage in other cities.

If the name was intended only as a reference to the stop's centrality, I would have preferred something like "City Center". If they do change it, I'd rather have that than "RideKC Center". ...
I seem to recall City Center was the first choice, but then somehow it was determined that it might show preference to City Center Square somehow. Something like that. I mean, clearly City Center is a better name than Metro Center. There can be no debate.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

pash wrote:The soone-to-be-gone bus plaza at Tenth & Main is one of several that the ATA calls a "MetroCenter", which is why I imagined that's where the name came from. If it's just a remarkable coincidence, I suppose that makes the name slightly less bizarre, though not really any better.
RideKC Center?
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

pash wrote:
pash wrote:... I would have preferred something like "City Center". If they do change it, I'd rather have that than "RideKC Center". ...
:P

Or, to continue my earlier, equally pointless diatribe, how about we just call it "Twelfth Street"?
that was my original assumption (and later, a request). however, the city decided to unilaterally name the stops by ordinance: http://cityclerk.kcmo.org/liveweb/Docum ... ltuZgujsmY
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

it's official! if you're on board, you will need to request a stop. an audio announcement will instruct passengers.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

DaveKCMO wrote:it's official! if you're on board, you will need to request a stop. an audio announcement will instruct passengers.
I've always found this to be confusing when I am in a new city on public transit. Too bad. I guess it isn't as much a problem now because the commutes are so short, but it is also pretty easy to zone out and miss an announcement due to announcement overload.

*Edit* - I also hate it when I'm running to a stop and the bus/train zooms by because they didn't see you or didn't want to see you. I guess there is less incentive/benefit to mandatory, timed arrivals and stop durations when the car runs through traffic and just covers downtown.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

we won't have announcement overload. as a frequent transit user, i've guided us to a very minimal approach -- both for announcements and interior signage. you also probably won't see "GO ROYALS" on any electronic signs. relevant passenger info only!

yes, i share your frustration with the 'just missed it' experience. i can't guarantee that won't happen, but the CAF cars have excellent visibility. if you're on the platform, you'll be seen.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

bobbyhawks wrote:
DaveKCMO wrote: *Edit* - I also hate it when I'm running to a stop and the bus/train zooms by because they didn't see you or didn't want to see you. I guess there is less incentive/benefit to mandatory, timed arrivals and stop durations when the car runs through traffic and just covers downtown.
You have the opposite problem.

Say they do stop and wait for 30 seconds. How do they know you want to take the train if you're not at the stop? You could be running to a business near the stop. There's nothing to keep the train from waiting anyways.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

People who intend to ride but haven't made it to the stop are usually waving and attempting to make eye contact with the driver. It's not perfect, but I'm pretty sure that's how it works all over.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

FYI - the current plan is for a streetcar to dwell at any stop for no more than 15 seconds. with no fare collection and fully-level boarding, this is very attainable.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

DaveKCMO wrote:we won't have announcement overload. as a frequent transit user, i've guided us to a very minimal approach -- both for announcements and interior signage. you also probably won't see "GO ROYALS" on any electronic signs. relevant passenger info only!
That's great to hear!