Bridj coming to KC

Transportation topics in KC
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Bridj coming to KC

Post by DaveKCMO »

http://www.kansascity.com/news/governme ... 28314.html
Microtransit is the buzzword for it. Routes are developed through an algorithm that churns transit data, social media activity and requests for service through a phone app. Riders in a specified service area are guaranteed a direct ride, with only one or two stops, from a bus stop that is within a five-minute walk of where they live or work to somewhere within a five-minute walk of their destination.

Unlike new-age taxi services like Uber and Lyft, which also use apps to arrange rides, Bridj contracts with established transit services to provide drivers and vehicles that hold 14 people on average, Matt George, the company’s chief executive officer, told the board.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Bridj coming to KC

Post by DaveKCMO »

bridj launches in early march: http://ridekc.org/news/bridj
Ford is the exclusive vehicle provider for Ride KC: Bridj because of its commitment to enabling urban mobility through its Ford Smart Mobility plan.
The one-year pilot program initially will include downtown Kansas City, the near east and west sides, Hospital Hill, Crown Center, portions of Midtown, University of Kansas Medical Center and the Historic 18th and Vine Jazz district. It will augment and serve as a gateway to other forms of transit as many pick-up locations will be at bus stops and areas served by existing Kansas City transit and bike-share systems. Additional routes will be added based on rider demand as identified through Bridj technology.
mykn

Post by mykn »

I'm still a little confused on how Bridj works. Does it integrate with KCATA so that if a part of my trip is covered by streetcar/bus, it would suggest I take that, and then have a Bridj van waiting to take me the rest of the trip? Or, is it essentially like a shared Uber where it picks up people along whatever generated route works the best for all passengers, and it just so happens to pick people up/drop people off near transit stops?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

it''s like mixing uber with one fixed route. it's not door-to-door like uber, but the scheduling and stops are dynamic. the savings come from not making trips that don't have demand, as far as i can tell.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

DaveKCMO wrote:it''s like mixing uber with one fixed route. it's not door-to-door like uber, but the scheduling and stops are dynamic. the savings come from not making trips that don't have demand, as far as i can tell.
I sounds a lot like a modernization of the Metroflex service

Read the description here
http://www.kcata.org/documents/routes/s ... 244swk.pdf

I can see it being expanded to replace low demand lines and expand service into new areas. This kind of service would be perfect in Gladstone or Riverside to connect residents there to an extended MAX or rail line up N. Oak
mykn

Post by mykn »

flyingember wrote:
DaveKCMO wrote:it''s like mixing uber with one fixed route. it's not door-to-door like uber, but the scheduling and stops are dynamic. the savings come from not making trips that don't have demand, as far as i can tell.
I sounds a lot like a modernization of the Metroflex service

Read the description here
http://www.kcata.org/documents/routes/s ... 244swk.pdf

I can see it being expanded to replace low demand lines and expand service into new areas. This kind of service would be perfect in Gladstone or Riverside to connect residents there to an extended MAX or rail line up N. Oak
Or suburban lines from transit centers to major job locations. When I used to take the Jo from downtown to 151st back in the day, 60% of the stops could have been eliminated and saved 30 minutes on the trip because most of the stops went unused. This could be a great way to promote transit in the suburban market.

Edit: I guess that's pretty much what you said :) I need to finish reading before responding.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Yeah, this would be perfect in JoCo to serve a commuter rail system or bus backbone on Metcalf or Shawnee Mission Parkway
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Any word on what they expect the average wait time to be for a shuttle? Obviously, they expect there to be no longer than a five minute walk, but do you then have to wait 30 minutes if it is 9:00 PM?

I'm pretty excited for the possibilities of this coming out of the Westside. It feels like the routes around me change so much (don't know how often, but they have changed), I kinda gave up on expecting the bus to be a reasonable/reliable transportation alternative to driving or Uber (*edit - not saying faster or equivalent, but something that is not annoying or inconsistent - I want to have more public transportation in my life!). There are a lot of routes that run around me, but they are all slight variations of the same route, with seemingly no rhyme or reason as to why they bob and weave so much.

Google Maps quotes a walk from the 20th and Summit to Thou Mayest at 21 minutes, which is not that long of a walk, but the fastest bus route there involves taking a bus that arrives once every 10 minutes during peak weekday hours, and once an hour on a Saturday, going all the way around Union Station, and walking 8-10 minutes from Crown Center. The fastest routes to City Market quote a 13 and a 17 minute walk. At that rate, I'm more likely to drive to the City Market and walk around from there than I am to hope to coincide with the randomly drawn bus routes Google sends me. I understand public transportation is going to be slower than driving, but there is a distance after which it should generally be faster than walking. Hopefully, the hyper-local approach of Bridj can help. It's really only a 5 mile by 3 or 4 mile grid, so I'd expect them to focus on speeding up 1 to 2 mile trips not served by the streetcar. North of Union Station, I'd expect it to be mostly used for East/West oriented trips. South of Union Station, it could be used for any number of things, so it is possible this will end up being the area of heaviest use.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

I believe in Boston and DC, you're never supposed to have to wait more than 10 minutes for a bus.

I think this is the future of public transportation for areas that don't get heavy use. I could see in 5 years not even having mapped/scheduled bus routes outside of the urban core. It just makes so much sense to have routes change dynamically to adjust to demand. No transfers are needed. You don't have to walk/wait more than 10 minutes. You can schedule pickup times that work for you. If this can be at all competitive price-wise with current public transit, it will replace it eventually. The more people that use it, the better it will get.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

bridj service starts march 7.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

DaveKCMO wrote:bridj service starts march 7.
Is there a map of the service territory or pickup locations yet?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

i've been told reservations start this week for trips starting march 7. download the app at http://bridj.com.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

took my first bridj trip this morning. got any questions?

the biggest thing for me was understanding you could travel WITHIN the two blobs on the service area map. for example, my trip was from 18th/woodland to 12th/oak (which was not my normal commute).

i used the promo code for a free ride.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

DaveKCMO wrote:took my first bridj trip this morning. got any questions?

the biggest thing for me was understanding you could travel WITHIN the two blobs on the service area map. for example, my trip was from 18th/woodland to 12th/oak (which was not my normal commute).

i used the promo code for a free ride.
Just saw it at Main and Linwood.

How does pick up work? The promo video made it seem like you need to go to a specific place for a group pick up.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

yes, you need to go to the pick-up location dictated in the app (which will be an existing KCATA bus stop). your drop-off location will also be shown. once you book the trip, you'll get a boarding pass (it's a 'flash pass' for the operator).

dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

so can you use bridj with your KCATA monthly pass?
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

seems like they expanded the service area to include KU Med and east of downtown

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

dnweava wrote:so can you use bridj with your KCATA monthly pass?
no. not sure if that will change in the future.
mykn

Post by mykn »

dnweava wrote:seems like they expanded the service area to include KU Med and east of downtown

I'm surprised they don't go out to Midtown/Plaza