Fun witn parking

Transportation topics in KC
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

fun with parking in KC

Post by flyingember »

Did you know KCMO code forbids on street parking within 4 feet of a driveway of any kind? Lest you think this is a commercial driveway, your home driveway applies too, the law is that broadly worked. Perhaps there's a contingency law but I haven't found it yet.

Every curb cut removes the width of the driveway + 8 feet worth of parking. It doesn't seem like much except that four feet push can mean a lot when you include the other parts of code. this one I like and it makes sense. more visibility is safer.

All the new fire hydrants require a 10 foot gap centered on them. Water services moved a ton around downtown to put new ones in and failed to redo the parking to match. Could be painful during a fire if people ignore this and park there anyways. Without a no parking sign, who do you blame?

One can't park within 20 feet of a crosswalk. You can guess how often that's enforced. This one makes total sense for pedestrian safety. 20 feet is good visibility for a car making a moving right turn across a GO pedestrian signal. I wouldn't decrease this number one inch.
20 feet is quite long. The 6.5 foot 2015 *supercrew* F-150 is barely over 20 feet long, 4.3" too long. the 8 foot supercab is almost a foot longer. the shorter supercab and supercrew would both have 8" to spare. So if you couldn't fit that vehicle in the space left, it's an illegal parking spot.

or my favorite, you can't park within 30 feet or any stop sign on the side of the road. tell me what stop sign *isn't* on the side of the road and how much parking is that close to a stop sign. 30 feet is long enough to make a green statement by parallel parking a Ford Escape and a Smart Car and have 6 feet left over.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: fun with parking in KC

Post by grovester »

All those seem pretty common sense.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: fun with parking in KC

Post by flyingember »

grovester wrote:All those seem pretty common sense.
you'd think so.

before one thinks about no parking spots, just inside the loop I've found multiple marked parking spots that *technically* allow parking in front of fire hydrants, the worst thing to do on that list

there were once two illegal parking spots immediatelly outside the main entrance of city hall at one time. need to drive by and see if this has been fixed

there's even been cases where cop cars have been caught by the google street view camera illegally parking outside the main police station
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Fun witn parking

Post by flyingember »

City code is so messed up. So much is from 1967 and it hasn't been reviewed in the past 50 years

70-253 bans driving on a sidewalk. But you can push a vehicle on a sidewalk.

52-78 bans parking on a sidewalk at a parking garage/lot and nowhere else.

70-789 just requires yielding to a pedestrian when crossing a sidewalk. This is into the realm of legal semantics. Are you crossing a sidewalk if there's nowhere to cross to?

70-695 says a person may ride on the sidewalk except where signs disallow the action. It doesn't say a bike "may" do this. It makes it a matter of fact that bikes have this right without the writing.
70-687 says a bike has the same rights a car has. So if bikes on sidewalks are a given to the point that there's no need to give legal permission, do cars have the same right?