K-10 Crossovers

Transportation topics in KC
SWFan
New York Life
New York Life

K-10 Crossovers

Post by SWFan »

Is it just me or does it seem like K-10 has way more crossover accidents, most resulting in fatalities, than anywhere else in the KC metro area? I don't have any specific stats, but anecdotally over the years it sure seems like when I hear crossover accident, 8 times out of 10 it happened on K-10.

Anyone know if there are stats that might actually back that up? And if it is true, why so many down there.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: K-10 Crossovers

Post by longviewmo »

SWFan wrote:And if it is true, why so many down there.
- Lots of large curves
- Longest stretch of heavily traveled highway in the area with 70 mph limit (and we all know traffic really moves a lot faster than that)
scooterj
Ambassador

Re: K-10 Crossovers

Post by scooterj »

SWFan wrote:Is it just me or does it seem like K-10 has way more crossover accidents, most resulting in fatalities, than anywhere else in the KC metro area? I don't have any specific stats, but anecdotally over the years it sure seems like when I hear crossover accident, 8 times out of 10 it happened on K-10.

Anyone know if there are stats that might actually back that up? And if it is true, why so many down there.

It's not just you, I've noticed that too. If you hear about an accident K-10, it seems to almost always be a crossover. And if you hear about a crossover accident in the metro, it seems to almost always be on K-10. I've attributed it to an overabundance of bad/distracted suburban drivers and bad/distracted college drivers in that area.