northland transit

Transportation topics in KC
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

northland transit

Post by flyingember »

ok, so obviously the northland has a chicken/egg issue with transit

the existing stops largely suck, the routes and frequency on most lines is horrible, it's low density, there's lots of sprawl development and it's largely a bus unfriendly population

but there's good destinations that could serve people in the inner city, lots of good jobs in some areas, more density is possible with some areas even encouraging it (i.e. Linden Square in Gladstone, Northgate Village), it's a heavy growth area which transit could encourage to be denser from the beginning, and some lines have standing room only at times (the bus to Liberty)

So how exactly does one expand the reach of transit in KC into the northland?
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: northland transit

Post by TheSmokinPun »

I live near KCI and usually use the 129 route to go downtown for classes/drinking, depending on time of day, packed with not only workers going downtown, but workers going up to the work places near the airport or at the airport. Possibly more direct expresses between the Boardwalk Depot/Airport and downtown, skipping out on the rest for a few of those at peak hours.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

sidewalks.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

DaveKCMO wrote:sidewalks.
that would be a good place to start.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

It'd be nice if people would finally observe the bike lanes on Barry too. Riding down that road is the most dangerous trail in the city.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

DaveKCMO wrote:sidewalks.
NO TOY TRAILS! We could buy everyone in the city a treadmill for a fraction of the cost of sidewalks. That's failed 1600's technology that no one will ever use unless it goes to the airport.
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

chingon wrote: NO TOY TRAILS! We could buy everyone in the city a treadmill for a fraction of the cost of sidewalks. That's failed 1600's technology that no one will ever use unless it goes to the airport.
Sarcasm aside, you can actually get decently close to the damn airport these days on the trail system starting as far south as NKC I believe. Within 5 miles.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

shaffe wrote:
chingon wrote: NO TOY TRAILS! We could buy everyone in the city a treadmill for a fraction of the cost of sidewalks. That's failed 1600's technology that no one will ever use unless it goes to the airport.
Sarcasm aside, you can actually get decently close to the damn airport these days on the trail system starting as far south as NKC I believe. Within 5 miles.
it's getting there, and there's segments that will get really close that are in the works to the north along I-29 with the aim of connecting to some Platte City trail

right now you can get from Old Tiffany Springs Parkway to Briarcliff shopping via the 152, Line Creek and Linear trails
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

pash wrote:
chingon wrote:We could buy everyone in the city a treadmill for a fraction of the cost of sidewalks.
We need to start printing this stuff on signs and putting them around town next to the the "Save Our Trolley Trail" sort.
I sure hope we will still need to after tonight.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

took my first trip on the #142 all the way to zona rosa last night. it was a very speedy trip in the middle of rush hour. not sure MAX upgrade would do much for travel times. the biggest challenge in this corridor is land use --- strip mall after strip mall. hopefully the city realizes a plan, other than just remaking a few dead malls along the way.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

DaveKCMO wrote:took my first trip on the #142 all the way to zona rosa last night. it was a very speedy trip in the middle of rush hour. not sure MAX upgrade would do much for travel times. the biggest challenge in this corridor is land use --- strip mall after strip mall. hopefully the city realizes a plan, other than just remaking a few dead malls along the way.
N. Oak speed is usually reasonable. I live a block off it.

142 is a perfect transit corridor for improvements for transit dependent families

there's multiple thrift stores. there's two low cost grocery stores and multiple ethnic grocery stores. there's a community health center as well. there's a huge amount of basic services targeting low income families

the two northland bus issues are frequency and service range.
old suburban developments with no bus within a 10, 20 or even 30 minute walk and then you may have to wait an hour for a bus. and no E-W lines at all. is it any surprise people don't use transit?