Uber/Lyft ride-sharing in Kansas City

Transportation topics in KC
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Uber/Lyft ride-sharing in Kansas City

Post by DaveKCMO »

Lyft ride-sharing service launched this week. just used it for the first time today. amazingly fast. first two weeks (up to 50 rides) free. must schedule using the smartphone app. was at crown center and didn't want to carry purchases home, whipped out the app, driver was out front in 3 minutes. great disruptive business model that is sending the taxi companies scurrying.

http://www.kansascity.com/2014/04/24/49 ... comes.html
http://www.pitch.com/FastPitch/archives ... -two-weeks
http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... tions.html
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Uber coming to Kansas City?

Post by flyingember »

I found the loophole the city has to close and Lyft can take advantage of.

So Lyft/Uber obviously isn't a taxi, it's closer to a Livery Vehicle.

here's KC's definition for what a Livery Vehicle is

76-32
Livery vehicle means a public six-passenger or less motor vehicle with driver included, for hire only by written agreement for exclusive use at a charge fixed in advance.
The key thing is with Lyft you can adjust the payment afterwards and it's a tip. if Lyft changes this so that so it's not a tip for taxing purposes then it would not be a Livery Vehicles because Livery Vehicles have a fixed rate set in advance.

and there it is

could change the payment method to where the user can set a premium service fee on their account f the driver gets you there within a certain amount of time of the fastest route there based on the speed limit. this would encourage drivers to know many routes to account for traffic and as the fee isn't fixed, but it would be based on performance, you wouldn't fall under this definition even more.

edit:

the loopholes keep coming
76-33 is key.
we already see how easy it is to not be a livery vehicle with a minor change, a key part of what a livery vehicle is being with the payment style
Unless specifically indicated otherwise, the provisions of this article shall apply to all taxicabs and other vehicles of every kind, character and description which are being used as taxicabs, cabs, for-hire cars, livery vehicles, sightseeing vehicles or pedicabs and engaged as such in the carriage of passengers for hire on the streets of the city.
I could see Lyft as being a for hire car. guess what, the city doesn't define what a for hire car actually is. so without a definition I don't see it fair to call someone this type of service.

and unless your service falls under a vehicle as defined you don't fall under the provisions of article 76

the city just needs to change their definitions.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

Got the app..thinking of using it for Arcade Fire tonight.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

"I found the loophole the city has to close and Lyft can take advantage of."
and
"the city doesn't define what a for hire car actually is"

The problem is:
"Sec. 76-46. Applicability of article to third-party transportation apps.permanent link to this piece of content

To ensure the public safety of all citizens who reside in or visit the city, the provisions of the Taxicab Code shall apply to all services offered by third-party transportation apps, except to the extent that such services are preempted by 49 USC Section 14501(d). No third-party transportation app company shall operate in the city unless the third-party transportation app company complies with all rules and regulations of the Taxicab Code, except to the extent that compliance with the Taxicab Code is preempted by 49 USC Section 14501(d), the Real Interstate Driver's Equity ("Ride") Act."
PLus
"Sec. 76-33. Applicability of article generally.permanent link to this piece of content

Unless specifically indicated otherwise, the provisions of this article shall apply to all taxicabs and other vehicles of every kind, character and description which are being used as taxicabs, cabs, for-hire cars, livery vehicles, sightseeing vehicles or pedicabs and engaged as such in the carriage of passengers for hire on the streets of the city."

A "car for hire" carries passengers for hire.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

I got a free Lyft last Friday evening, and as with in other cities, it was a great and efficient experience. The driver mentioned that he applied last October, and that he was finally selected to be one of 60 drivers out of 3,000 applicants. Their cars go through what sounded like pretty exhaustive inspections, and the drivers were all screened through multiple interviews. I can definitely say that there is no way cabs in this city are inspected the same way the Lyft cars are, and every Lyft ride I've ever been on is in a much nicer vehicle than the average cab.

All that said, Lyft received a cease and desist from the city and has sent a petition email out to its users. They have 726 signees so far.

https://www.change.org/petitions/mayor- ... ansas-city
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

Just signed the petition...at 800 sigs now.

Did the driver mentioned getting hassled this weekend? I was curious if they got flack from the City.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I should clarify that while I still think there's loopholes in city code, it would be crazy simple to fix them though

just formally define a third type of service which is basic pay for hire and have requirements for it. premium insurance, yearly state inspections, register online with the city, etc

they can't use formal taxi stands, are treated like a private vehicle at the airport, can't serve convention facilities directly and such
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

zonk wrote:Just signed the petition...at 800 sigs now.

Did the driver mentioned getting hassled this weekend? I was curious if they got flack from the City.
Unfortunately, we didn't have time to discuss that. The driver did mention that he ended up driving the home office folks around town when they had their launch party. He said that there is a private Facebook page, and the interaction amongst the drivers was pretty great. They were posting pictures of their exploits across the city pretty actively.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Please! I really like uber and lyft seems too casual
HalcyonKC
New York Life
New York Life

Post by HalcyonKC »

I just saw 2 police cars pull over one of the Lyft vehicles (a gray Honda Fit) in a parking lot on the west side of Broadway between 12th and 13th. I wonder if they had a legitimate reason, or if it's the start of a crackdown?
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

If there was a passenger then it probably was a legitimate stop. Or what you would call crackdown.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Mayor Sly: Hit the brakes and get the facts
Second, the City will not allow any firm to waltz into town with a business model that does not ensure public safety without taking measures to keep riders safe. That would be an affront to our duty to ensure public welfare. Would you really want to patronize a restaurant who hasn’t been properly inspected to protect you and your family against illness? I, for one, would not want my family members to catch a ride with someone who may or may not have proper insurance if a wreck were to happen – and auto wrecks do happen. I also wouldn’t want them to catch a ride from someone who hasn’t undergone a city-conducted background check to prove they aren’t a violent criminal.

We have been working with Uber and zTrip so that they can operate under our current regulations. zTrip is operating legally and I’m hoping that Uber will choose to meet the necessary standards, which include background checks, proper driver’s license, and adequate insurance. Some consider these unnecessary hoops that they must jump through. I consider them reasonable safeguards for the citizens of our city.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Based on the city and Sly's responses...and craiglist postings, Uber is good to go.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

council made a last-minute change to the city's livery code to reinforce that lyft is operating illegally. the ordinance was introduced at 2:30 and made law by 5pm. the question now is whether lyft will fold-up or pay the livery license fee for each driver.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

DaveKCMO wrote:council made a last-minute change to the city's livery code to reinforce that lyft is operating illegally. the ordinance was introduced at 2:30 and made law by 5pm. the question now is whether lyft will fold-up or pay the livery license fee for each driver.

Is there any significant purpose to this, other than to protect existing business interests?
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Yes, to treat all taxi-like services the same.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

loftguy wrote:
DaveKCMO wrote:council made a last-minute change to the city's livery code to reinforce that lyft is operating illegally. the ordinance was introduced at 2:30 and made law by 5pm. the question now is whether lyft will fold-up or pay the livery license fee for each driver.

Is there any significant purpose to this, other than to protect existing business interests?
there were arguable loopholes in ordinance

like they defined taxis and other such services extremely strict and then the ordinances that covered those services were based around fitting into those buckets.

keep in mind this is the same city which has imaginary boundaries multiple places in the ordinances for the purpose of setting required permits for certain businesses. there are loopholes that fairly need closing
Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Pork Chop »

KCPowercat wrote:Based on the city and Sly's responses...and craiglist postings, Uber is good to go.
Uber rolls into Kansas City

Kenny Tsai, a general manager with the San Francisco-based transportation technology company, said UberX is kicking off operations in the Kansas City area at 2 p.m. Friday. He said UberX, which allows private drivers to use their vehicles to provide transportation for a fare, will offer free rides to users who enter the code “kcfree” while using the company’s mobile application. The offer lasts through May 23.
http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... -city.html