Regional Transit Coordination

Transportation topics in KC
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Regional Transit Coordination

Post by DaveKCMO »

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/ar ... 39560.html

$1.50 regional fare takes effect monday.
Fares for four of the five Johnson County express routes — the 661, 670, 673 and 678 — will remain unchanged at $2.25. And the 710-K-10 Connector will continue to cost $3.50.

Three Kansas City express routes operating north and south of the river will stay at $3 as well.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

"ribbon-tying" this morning to celebrate new service between joco and wyco: http://www.kcata.org/news/regional_lead ... _wyandotte
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

new signage going up at KCATA offices. the 'metro' brand is officially dead!

JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

I'm riding the bus today for the first time in awhile and was wondering: what are the plans for rebranding the individual bus stands? Like the old metro signage on those "flag" stands. Not sure what those are called...
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

Does this also signal the demise of the Cheech-and-Chong frog mascot?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

JBmidtown wrote:Like the old metro signage on those "flag" stands. Not sure what those are called...
They're stop markers. Nothing special about the name
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

draft concept from last month:

kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I'm not sure what the best place to put this, but the results of a survey of Cerner employees was quite interesting. Here are some transit related snipits. The demographics are amazing.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 74232.html
The survey report noted that the average Cerner salary was $97,156, according to the company’s application filed the Tax Increment Financing Commission. To compare: The median income in the surrounding community was $43,559.
The survey’s residential-oriented questions revealed that two-thirds of the Cerner employees would be 35 years old or younger, whereas only one-fifth of the surrounding population is between 20 and 34 years old.
The relatively young Cerner workers indicated strong preference for homes that are 10 years old or less. Only 3 percent of homes in the surrounding community have been built since 2000. Three-fourths of the respondents said they preferred single-family homes.

Seventy percent of the respondents indicated they were “very likely” or “somewhat likely” to move within five years. A majority of the workers said they’d worked at Cerner for five years or less.
Nearly all the respondents said they currently drive to their workplace, but about one-fourth expressed a preference for biking, walking or using public transportation, and 6 in 10 said they’d use public transportation more often it was available and convenient.

Half of the respondents said they have school-aged children.
If this doesn't show how behind the curve KC is in developing transit and mobility options for the coming/arrived generation of workers and residents- I don't know what does. It also shows that people want to use public transportation, but it just needs to be built. I'd also suggest that the 6 out of 10 people aren't talking about riding express buses if they were available.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

^^ Public transportation but they want single-family homes built in the last 10 years. I don't think this younger generation really knows what they want. They can't figure out if they want to live in the suburbs or the city.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

beautyfromashes wrote:^^ Public transportation but they want single-family homes built in the last 10 years. I don't think this younger generation really knows what they want. They can't figure out if they want to live in the suburbs or the city.
that model exists elsewhere in the world, just not in the united states.
mykn

Post by mykn »

I recently vacationed in Seattle in the Greenwood/Benton(?) area. It was all closely packed single family bungalows in a very walkable neighborhood. Lots of bars, restaurants, shopping near by and served by pretty good BRT. This might be a good model for these areas (And also areas of midtown where there is resistance to "densifying"). Although, a big challenge will be getting someone to build small houses very close together.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

The first thing that needs to be done is expand 71 into a proper interstate now. I can't imagine what that already busy road will look like with thousands more cars on it at rush hour.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

beautyfromashes wrote:^^ Public transportation but they want single-family homes built in the last 10 years. I don't think this younger generation really knows what they want.
Sounds like they know exactly what they want: new construction streetcar suburbs.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

I get a lot of inquiries for my lofts from people moving here from out of town to work for Cerner. Almost one every other week. They always ask if I give discounts for Cerner employees. I don't know who is instructing them to ask, but after reading those income stats, I'm going to charge them extra.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

chingon wrote:
beautyfromashes wrote:^^ Public transportation but they want single-family homes built in the last 10 years. I don't think this younger generation really knows what they want.
Sounds like they know exactly what they want: new construction streetcar suburbs.
Oh wait, this is literally how KCMO's core is designed.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

The former Bannister Federal complex site will be a huge redevelopment community in this context.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

beautyfromashes wrote:The first thing that needs to be done is expand 71 into a proper interstate now. I can't imagine what that already busy road will look like with thousands more cars on it at rush hour.
better than as an interstate.

the real choke point isn't the lights, it's where 71 NB splits three ways at the loop and has people crossing every lane coming from Hospital Hill to get to 670 and to stay NB past this on the east side requires merging over one lane to the right into I-70 traffic.. It can be flowing at 60mph at 27th and 15-25mph from 22nd to the split. There's been multiple days it's quicker to get off at the Paseo and take it parallel to 71 at 30mph than stay on the freeway.

SB is nowhere near as bad. This segment can be slow all the way to Lee's Summit and that's not caused by the stoplights.
That's more a function of the dropping lanes south of 63rd and again at Bannister where the same number of cars get 2 lanes suddenly.

Merging issues cause more traffic than anything else.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

taxi wrote:I get a lot of inquiries for my lofts from people moving here from out of town to work for Cerner. Almost one every other week. They always ask if I give discounts for Cerner employees. I don't know who is instructing them to ask, but after reading those income stats, I'm going to charge them extra.
It's most likely they're getting the idea about rent discounts from recruiters, who invariably mention that a number of apartment complexes offer them. (Unsurprisingly, the ones that do are predominantly near one of the campuses.)

Also, I suspect that the average salary mentioned is *mostly* accurate for software developers, but is definitely not average for the company as a whole.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

swid wrote:
taxi wrote:I get a lot of inquiries for my lofts from people moving here from out of town to work for Cerner. Almost one every other week. They always ask if I give discounts for Cerner employees. I don't know who is instructing them to ask, but after reading those income stats, I'm going to charge them extra.
It's most likely they're getting the idea about rent discounts from recruiters, who invariably mention that a number of apartment complexes offer them. (Unsurprisingly, the ones that do are predominantly near one of the campuses.)

Also, I suspect that the average salary mentioned is *mostly* accurate for software developers, but is definitely not average for the company as a whole.
Somebody needs to let the recruiters know that the market changed about seven years ago.
Today, the only places that are providing *Cerner discounts* are those that are priced above the rest of the market and who are often among the poorest managers....can't keep a tenant.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

flyingember wrote:
beautyfromashes wrote:The first thing that needs to be done is expand 71 into a proper interstate now. I can't imagine what that already busy road will look like with thousands more cars on it at rush hour.
better than as an interstate.

the real choke point isn't the lights, it's where 71 NB splits three ways at the loop and has people crossing every lane coming from Hospital Hill to get to 670 and to stay NB past this on the east side requires merging over one lane to the right into I-70 traffic.. It can be flowing at 60mph at 27th and 15-25mph from 22nd to the split. There's been multiple days it's quicker to get off at the Paseo and take it parallel to 71 at 30mph than stay on the freeway.

SB is nowhere near as bad. This segment can be slow all the way to Lee's Summit and that's not caused by the stoplights.
That's more a function of the dropping lanes south of 63rd and again at Bannister where the same number of cars get 2 lanes suddenly.

Merging issues cause more traffic than anything else.
It's the lights.