Should Mark VanLoh resign as Aviation Director?

Transportation topics in KC

Poll ended at Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:38 pm

Yes
36%
No
14%
I don't care
50%

Total votes: 14

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

http://www.kansascity.com/2014/01/22/47 ... s-new.html
Director Mark VanLoh does not have the public credibility to lead on this extremely crucial project.

Last year, Mayor Sly James appointed a citizens commission to review KCI’s future after VanLoh’s costly, single-terminal plan ran into stiff public headwinds.

Last week, airline representatives appeared and did not, contrary to what VanLoh has said before, embrace plans for a new terminal.

VanLoh also previously promoted an idea, since discarded because of its tremendous cost, to move the main terminal far to the south of where the current terminals sit.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Should Mark VanLoh resign as Aviation Director?

Post by loftguy »

I'm not very well connected to MCI day to day, but had an interesting conversation last night.

I was with someone who has a business that for six years which causes them to interact with all areas of airport operation.

I took the opportunity to ask their opinion about proposed airport change. I got answers I did not anticipate.

They believe that KC could be developed into a hub operation. That there are several airlines that are anticipating the need for a hub, especially in the midwest. If a hub can be secured then build an entire new airport. Make the investment.

If no hub, then renovate. However, they said that the airport needs better input into how to work with what they have (designers, planners that are the best in the world) rather than the people making the analysis, thus far.

Here's the bombshell, in my view. They said it is the common, informed assessment that airport operations are making decisions to try to force the decision to build a new airport. Planned blight, in a sense. Making the existing facilities less comfortable, convenient, sensible for travelers and airlines, with the expectation that then the public and airlines will provide greater support for investing in new facilities.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

My first thought was to agree with Yael but upon further reflection felt that this just might be a bad time to replace a director. VanLoh is not operating in a vacuum in that he is pushing this new terminal all by himself. I believe he has this idea backed up by the City Manager, the Mayor, and Council members who serve on the committee that reviews airport operations. If the idea fails then he can be the fall guy for them.
Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Joe Smith »

He should be investigated for for graft, convicted and imprisoned.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Joe Smith wrote:He should be investigated for for graft, convicted and imprisoned.
Shouldn't the investigation portion of that be concluded before you unilaterally assign guilt and meter out hypothetical punishments for the crime of not having the same opinion as you, in all your glorious aviation industry expertise?
Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Joe Smith »

chingon wrote:
Joe Smith wrote:He should be investigated for for graft, convicted and imprisoned.
Shouldn't the investigation portion of that be concluded before you unilaterally assign guilt and meter out hypothetical punishments for the crime of not having the same opinion as you, in all your glorious aviation industry expertise?
C'mon man. Kool-Aid is alright, but I ain't drinking their's.

With the hundreds of millions, possibly a billion or more dollars in debt, leaders in the city want to spend huge amounts of money on frou-frou bs that is not needed and you think they are on the up and up and only doing what's best for the city?

Being that we've seen this before many times played out all over the country and have seen governor's sent to prison for less malfeasance/bribery/gifting, you'd think that a reasonable person would see right through this cloak of infallibility that some of our leaders seem to project.

City leaders hand out money to any developer/consultant/law firm that has the right friends, while at the same time destroying the property tax fund by giving out unneeded 25 year tax abatement's to folks who have more than enough money to pay their taxes and then there are folks like you who follow them like sheep with nary a question as to their motives.

You Sir, are either a fool or have your own hand in the city cookie jar.

Sales tax in K.C. is higher than it is in NYC. Why would that be?
Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Joe Smith »

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Joe Smith wrote:
chingon wrote:
Sales tax in K.C. is higher than it is in NYC. Why would that be?
an oft-repeated claim that completely ignores that everything costs less and that our sprawl contributes to the high tax rate (the same services spread way out over far fewer people per square mile). do you think people argue for density only because it's trendy?

if you don't like high sales tax, avoid the entertainment districts. everywhere else it's a pretty average rate.
Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Joe Smith »

flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

DaveKCMO wrote: if you don't like high sales tax, avoid the entertainment districts. everywhere else it's a pretty average rate.
if you want a low sales tax you avoid KC and head into NKC. the city rate is currently only 2.5%. KC in Jackson County is almost twice that.
Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Joe Smith »

flyingember wrote:
DaveKCMO wrote: if you don't like high sales tax, avoid the entertainment districts. everywhere else it's a pretty average rate.
if you want a low sales tax you avoid KC and head into NKC. the city rate is currently only 2.5%. KC in Jackson County is almost twice that.
I do. I have never been to the P&L and try very hard not to spend any money at any place from the river to the Plaza, especially any bars or restaurants. They should all lower their prices at least 5% to make up for the high taxes they voted and burdened themselves with.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Joe Smith wrote:
flyingember wrote:
I do. I have never been to the P&L and try very hard not to spend any money at any place from the river to the Plaza, especially any bars or restaurants. They should all lower their prices at least 5% to make up for the high taxes they voted and burdened themselves with.
On, say, a $20 dinner tab, that's $1. Or, for the dinner we had at Ragazza last Saturday, it's $2.50 on $50.

5% doesn't seem like much to get bent out of shape about. I'd spend more in gas trying to avoid paying it.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Is it ironic that the guy who simultaneously busted a black-and-white / false dilemma fallacy and an ad hominem on chingon in the same sentence, after expressing his own personal incredulity at the idea that VanLoh and in fact the entire city and probably all governments everywhere might not be willfully malfeasant, then attempts to take the logical high ground with a logical fallacy poster? Or was he attempting to make sure everyone was aware of his transgressions by ironically apologizing? Confusing.
knucklehead
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by knucklehead »

Missouri is in the top 10 for lowest state taxes in the US.

Maybe sales taxes are higher in Kansas City than in New York because Kansas City receives less state money than New York.

I know, I know, don't feed the troll.
Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Joe Smith »

A little internet fun is free for you and me.

The folks/liars on here who advocate for expensive projects we don't need in K.C. but are involved in them behind the scenes, cost us money.

Just come out and say who you work for or what company you own, how you will be involved and make your arguments about why we have to have this stuff. Because you need to feed at the trough won't fly.

All this b.s. subterfuge that there is no subterfuge and that everyone on this forum is as honest as the day is long is a waste of time. Heck, I saw a whole table of you guys at Anton's once chatting like a flock of hens about the toy train and your involvement that you publicly said on here didn't exist. Btw, Anton was also against it, but caved in like so many others, mostly due to arm twisting by the city.

1 billion+ dollars for a new airport and $200 mil for a 2 mile toy train is very simply, bullshit. Unless, of course, you want to stick your nose in the trough and lie about your involvement. Then it's a needed project.

I have an opinion on this subject. You just read it. No hidden lies, no hidden ties, no subterfuge.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Just because others have a different opinion than yours doesn't mean they have a financial stake in what in this project or that project.

People can be for or against projects for many reasons. I have been against projects in the past but also for other projects. My support for the projects had nothing to do with a financial stake in them nor did I accuse supporters of projects I opposed of having a financial interest. This world is full of individuals who are capable of independent thought and can come to a different conclusion on an issue than I. That's just the way things are.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

perhaps the simplest explanation might actually be true: people who live downtown wanted a better transit option than what we currently have and were willing to help pay for it. we didn't invent the plan, but approved what was put before us in a public vote. oh, and it's part of every single plan since, like, 1970.

that's my opinion and i'm backing the shit up with action. no hidden lies, no hidden ties, no subterfuge.

but that doesn't fit your narrative, so it doesn't really matter what the truth is. the "need" for such projects, as required by the hancock amendment to the missouri constitution, is always determined by voters. there's nothing new about city hall proposing them. sorry it's made you so down on things. it gets better.

at this point, i could care less about what happens to KCI. i'm a casual user and my favorite option (relocating a new terminal closer to the city) was taken off the table.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Joe Smith wrote:Just come out and say who you work for or what company you own, how you will be involved and make your arguments about why we have to have this stuff. Because you need to feed at the trough won't fly.
I own a small parts manufacturing plant that specializes in the rare cross-section of new airports and streetcars. I own a private jet with a golden trough for feeding... so, technically, my need to feed at the trough does fly.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Joe Smith wrote:Just come out and say who you work for or what company you own, how you will be involved and make your arguments about why we have to have this stuff. Because you need to feed at the trough won't fly.
Name names!

Wait, was that this forum?
bobbyhawks wrote:I own a small parts manufacturing plant that specializes in the rare cross-section of new airports and streetcars. I own a private jet with a golden trough for feeding... so, technically, my need to feed at the trough does fly.
:lol:

But seriously, if there's like a Dunn exec or something here advocating for projects so they can make a buck, I'd really like to know about it. I doubt that's the case, but baseless accusations and conspiracy theories are boring. Meaty revelations and drama are much more interesting.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

I do see some folks who are making money from the streetcar.

I don't see any that aren't legit, and I'm looking pretty keenly.

The ones who seem to be making "found" money, are those selling properties that weren't moving prior to the announcement of the streetcar implementation.

So far, I have not seen any of these property sellers active in any way in promoting the streetcar. That's why I refer to it as found money. An intended (hoped for) consequence of the streetcar, but not targeted to anyone specifically.

The eco devo reaction has caught me off guard by it's immediate and significant level of activity.

I hope a lot of folks make money. It would be a great sign for all of us.

I believe that Anton and Stretch are going to see significant benefit. As are all of us, ultimately.

But then, I think the Power and Light District was (*and is) a great investment, too.