OFFICIAL - Buck O'Neil Bridge

Transportation topics in KC
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: New Broadway Bridge

Post by earthling »

Is there any largish US city that has free (to ride) bus service that is city wide? Would be an incredible 'progressive' thing for KC area to pull off.

edit: This shows many in Europe/Brazil and some small towns in US, and also shows some benefits...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_publ ... de_systems

Some impact though is it may attract homeless from all over country and a transit strike could cause major problems. I don't see KC having some of the other issues listed in link.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

Hell I'll give each elected official a handjob if it means a free transit system that puts us among the world's greatest transit systems. Let's. Fucking. Do. It.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

JBmidtown wrote:Hell I'll give each elected official a handjob if it means a free transit system that puts us among the world's greatest transit systems. Let's. Fucking. Do. It.
Work "Middle Out".
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

i should note that a Q2 win would certainly quicken the pace of getting there. a few less hand jobs required.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

To me its a simple question of which is better- Fight over details of the route and implementation of an approved funding mechanism or day dream about getting a citywide funding mechanism approved?
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Plus, if this loses 80-20, do you think any politician will touch rail transit again for 10-15 years? Even if it loses, but its close, politicians will see value in expending political capital to keep the rail conversation alive. If it gets creamed? No one will think its worth it.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Pretty much, and a caveat that you can build/operate only what the tax can afford. Previous plans had neither.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

^ Yes, but wouldn't what the tax could afford be a heck of a lot more than we have right now and be equitably distributed across the whole city? From the poll on another thread, it looks like most of us are voting for the plan/funding source.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

JLowe2018
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by JLowe2018 »

I was reading the through some Board of Alderman meeting minutes for the city of Parkville and noticed something regarding the Broadway Bridge in the Mayor's miscellaneous notes...
She [Mayor Nan Johnston] met with Riverside Mayor Kathy Rose, Platte County Economic Development Council Executive Director Alicia Stephens and Dale Brouk with The National regarding the U.S. 169 Buck O’Neil Bridge and noted that the City would possibly be asked to support a transportation development district to fund a new bridge.
By the quote above it appears a TDD is being looked at to fund a new bridge.

I'd guess it would be a sales tax to fund it but I have no idea. I wonder what area it would cover? :-k
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

it would have to be a sales tax. anything else (property tax or special assessments) will trigger the multiple vote provision in the TDD act.

i've heard rumblings that a multi-county TDD (sales tax) may be needed if the trump administration and state DOTs continue to remain hostile to what cities want to build.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Toll still being considered?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote:Toll still being considered?
lololololololol. because: northland.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

they have the airport....think how many people will pay it that are tourists and south of the river.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

KCPowercat wrote:they have the airport....think how many people will pay it that are tourists and south of the river.
Of course it would depend on the amount of the toll but many would probably avoid it in favor of an alternate route.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Agreed. It would have to be nominal.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:they have the airport....think how many people will pay it that are tourists and south of the river.
Of course it would depend on the amount of the toll but many would probably avoid it in favor of an alternate route.
I bet it would get more use than you think. Probably not enough to have people not fight it but if 2/3 of people avoid it suddenly you have an express route north.

Imaging if the three options are crazy slow on 35, stoplights on 9 or pay a toll and have clear sailing for five miles

The bond bridge was built to handle another 20k cars daily
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

What is the projected cost of the new bridge and the associated improvements? And don't forget the interest costs. What would be the projected annual cost to principal and interest? And let's not forget any operating and maintenance costs to include.
Now you might have a pretty good idea what the projected toll would be based on projected traffic.