flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Phase 2 Streetcar Funding

Post by flyingember »

Sounds like its time to focus on the spine and commuter rail

NKC to the plaza with a downtown cross line

Kcata wants four bus "terminals" connect them together with rail

All have been studied for phase 2. And if the line proves successful at drawing jobs to downtown the east side can jump on board

Then again, maybe it will take gentrification and the eventual loss if political power to grab this areas attention
Armorek
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Armorek »

Was it that phase 2 was too ambitious? Should phase 2 maybe have been only the plaza line and Prospect MAX?

I voted in favor of it =/ lame sauce that it lost.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

Not a good campaign by the pro streetcar side, but very unfortunate this was on same ballot as road tax. Just made it all too confusing.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

lock+load wrote:Not a good campaign by the pro streetcar side, but very unfortunate this was on same ballot as road tax. Just made it all too confusing.
In what way?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Armorek wrote:Was it that phase 2 was too ambitious? Should phase 2 maybe have been only the plaza line and Prospect MAX?

I don't think it was too ambitious...
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Armorek wrote:Was it that phase 2 was too ambitious? Should phase 2 maybe have been only the plaza line and Prospect MAX?

As an outsider my guess would be it was a little bit too much too soon. To time to strike would have been when the current line is finished and running. Show people how it is working. Wait until the people wanted it. There was no harm in planning for the extensions now but way too early to vote for expansion.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:

As an outsider my guess would be it was a little bit too much too soon. To time to strike would have been when the current line is finished and running. Show people how it is working. Wait until the people wanted it. There was no harm in planning for the extensions now but way too early to vote for expansion.
I agree it will be more palatable when people see Phase 1 running...but didn't mind asking now.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I blame the East side and Freedom Inc. specifically. You add the E-W sections to bring development to those areas and they claim racism and tell their lemming constituents to vote against it.
Armorek
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Armorek »

KCPowercat wrote:

I don't think it was too ambitious...
Not criticizing just curious as to why it failed. I agreed with phase 2. Personally I consider the streetcar incomplete until it at least goes to the Plaza.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I think the next attempt should be just to continue to the streetcar line to the Plaza. No other lines until that is approved.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

FangKC wrote:I think the next attempt should be just to continue to the streetcar line to the Plaza. No other lines until that is approved.
It's the easiest without a doubt.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

pash wrote:The next move on this has to be to look at where the yes and no votes are, re-draw the TDD, and put it on the ballot again, right? So fucking what if we have to lop off an east-west route to nowhere. ...
The question is: did it win anywhere?

I think this is pretty much the fork in KC having a meaningful public transit system for another generation at least.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

chingon wrote:
pash wrote:The next move on this has to be to look at where the yes and no votes are, re-draw the TDD, and put it on the ballot again, right? So fucking what if we have to lop off an east-west route to nowhere. ...
The question is: did it win anywhere?

I think this is pretty much the fork in KC having a meaningful public transit system for another generation at least.

Come off the ledge.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Good morning from Portland. Might take some time to look at houses while I'm up here. Farm bill and gun bill passed in MO. plus no funding for streetcar. Yet up here they have PT everywhere and Oregon has NO sales tax. Asked a pharmacist why that is and he said "We're smart about how we use federal funds".
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I see that engineering is funded.

perhaps we should think small.

it was fairly pointed out that once a corridor is built that it's easy to expand it. so starting immediately the city should find money to extend main st to it's next stop south. slow and steady may be the better path to take than huge and politically infeasible.

think of the value of building a stop at the front door of the Liberty Memorial and Federal Reserve + Crown Center north.
if this line is a development driver then putting a stop right next to a bunch of empty parking lots could pay for that segment.

now take that further. do a west of troost TDD that has a hard build by date. we want federal match but the city needs to start expanding the line with whatever it can get. the feds like action, they like projects that are happening. were we really not going to build any of phase 2 if the feds came with half of what we needed?

why would we turn down being able to build a mile to 31st or two miles to 39th if we can get the money for that? the redevelopment value of the corridor has the potential to snowball and pay for stop by stop expansions without needing a ballot item
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

When the Federal Reserve was built, didn't they designate all of their TIF funds to go to Main St. and be administered by Maincor (yuck!)? That is how all the street improvements were paid for Main between 47th St. and Linwood. Why can't they access those funds to expand the starter line?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

beautyfromashes wrote:When the Federal Reserve was built, didn't they designate all of their TIF funds to go to Main St. and be administered by Maincor (yuck!)? That is how all the street improvements were paid for Main between 47th St. and Linwood. Why can't they access those funds to expand the starter line?
because they spent it all? that was a pricey streetscape.