Phase 2 Streetcar Funding

Transportation topics in KC
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Phase 2 Streetcar Funding

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

pash wrote:Will we know the result tonight?
Yes!
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

GRID wrote:Even if this doesn't pass, I would hope that KCMO finds some way to extend the streetcar to the plaza.
even the prep-work would be worth it for future transit corridors. if it doesn't pass the city should find the money to do as much utility work as possible along each corridor to be rail ready

that way when they come back the project is closer to installation ready
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Where's the party when it passes?
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Driving through completely rural areas between Bates City and Holden this morning, I saw a surprising amount of pro-A7 signs in corn fields and stuff. I'd have assumed those folks would be more anti-tax than pro-roads, but there wasn't a single anti-A7 sign. Thought that was kind of interesting.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

mean wrote:Driving through completely rural areas between Bates City and Holden this morning, I saw a surprising amount of pro-A7 signs in corn fields and stuff. I'd have assumed those folks would be more anti-tax than pro-roads, but there wasn't a single anti-A7 sign. Thought that was kind of interesting.
Paid.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Could be, sure, although I don't think I'd feel very ethically good about letting someone pay me to advertise a message I am fundamentally opposed to. That's me, though.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

beautyfromashes wrote:Where's the party when it passes?
Gates at Linwood & Main.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

mean wrote:Driving through completely rural areas between Bates City and Holden this morning, I saw a surprising amount of pro-A7 signs in corn fields and stuff. I'd have assumed those folks would be more anti-tax than pro-roads, but there wasn't a single anti-A7 sign. Thought that was kind of interesting.
all those lettered routes are state maintained. there's a state maintained road within 95% of 2 miles of basically every home in the state. there's A LOT of rural highways for that reason. those are 59% of what the state maintains

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missouri_s ... ntal_route

that would explain why farmers like this, because it means more money for a road close to them

it's one of the weird things, that the state has to maintain roads that get maybe a few hundred cars per day, but it's hard to get state funding for rebuilding roads that 100x as many people drive by every day

in most other states, these would be county maintained. imagine if Kansas had a state maintained road within 2 miles of every single farmhouse out in western kansas
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

There's a zoom level of Google Maps where any line displayed is a state-maintained road. It's very apparent how much more extensive Missouri's state-maintained system is when compared to surrounding states:

chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

mean wrote:Could be, sure, although I don't think I'd feel very ethically good about letting someone pay me to advertise a message I am fundamentally opposed to. That's me, though.
Ever seen an advertisement for a specific variety of seed in a field?
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Anyway, we got derailed (nyuck, nyuck). Back to streetcars....

Last, best chance to build even a modest transit system in this wonderful little city for a generation. 2 hours and ticking.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I was a bit dismayed to be accosted by people handing out anti-streetcar literature in my solidly minority, solidly democratic ward. Anyone hear why the minority interest groups printing this stuff are opposed to something that could help do wonders for the northeast / east side?
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

mean wrote:I was a bit dismayed to be accosted by people handing out anti-streetcar literature in my solidly minority, solidly democratic ward. Anyone hear why the minority interest groups printing this stuff are opposed to something that could help do wonders for the northeast / east side?
and worse yet, FOR the road tax
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

So, where's it at? I tried to watch the CMAs to get the results at the bottom but just couldn't stomach it and changed the channel.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

beautyfromashes wrote:So, where's it at? I tried to watch the CMAs to get the results at the bottom but just couldn't stomach it and changed the channel.
nothing even unofficial from the kceb so far. they haven't released any numbers for any race

their site, star, kctv, fox4 , all the same
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

8 of 73 precincts
1077 to 1476

looks like mostly the east and south sides of the district has come in based on the state senate races

only 1 precinct from west of troost portion has come in
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

61% opposed - 92% counted :(
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

KCPowercat wrote:
mean wrote:I was a bit dismayed to be accosted by people handing out anti-streetcar literature in my solidly minority, solidly democratic ward. Anyone hear why the minority interest groups printing this stuff are opposed to something that could help do wonders for the northeast / east side?
and worse yet, FOR the road tax
Yep. It was all pro-7. Anti-streetcar. Seemed very odd to me. Benefits to this area are contingent upon streetcar, not highways.