Phase 2 Streetcar Funding

Transportation topics in KC
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Phase 2 Streetcar Funding

Post by DaveKCMO »

http://www.kansascity.com/opinion/opn-c ... 40179.html
In a mailer, Freedom refers to the proposed transportation development district as the “tax discrimination district” and features a picture of a sad-looking African-American child with the caption “Jim Crow must go!”

That message is dishonest and ridiculous. The proposed streetcar route was designed to help Kansas City’s east side. And under a plausible scenario, more than 90 percent of the funding for it would come from outside of the urban core.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

DaveKCMO wrote:
In a mailer, Freedom refers to the proposed transportation development district as the “tax discrimination district” and features a picture of a sad-looking African-American child with the caption “Jim Crow must go!”

That message is dishonest and ridiculous. The proposed streetcar route was designed to help Kansas City’s east side. And under a plausible scenario, more than 90 percent of the funding for it would come from outside of the urban core.[/quote]
What I don't get is why the bolded portion hasn't been promoted better during this campaign. I've never heard that 90% number prior to this article.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

messaging is tough. you want to be simple and repetitive enough for even the most distracted voters to remember why they're voting yes. also, there is no generally accepted boundary for the urban core. the talking point actually states:
95% of the tax will be collected from sales at the stadiums, downtown, Crown
Center, and the Plaza, all of which are within the TDD. More than half the taxes
will be paid by out of town visitors and others who do not live within the TDD.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

also, remember that this is just the formation election. a much larger pool will turn out for the november vote that actually approves the sales tax and assessments.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Saw that James recently made a pitch on the East Side for the expansion. I'm hoping that's just the most recent of many such outings. Would also hope that Cleaver has been vocal and frequent in his support. Do you know if those things are the case, Dave?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

missingkc wrote:Would also hope that Cleaver has been vocal and frequent in his support.
in DC, yes. our delegation is unanimous in support, just like the council.

unfortunately, rep. cleaver hasn't made a local statement or appearance about streetcar (to my knowledge) since KC was awarded a federal grant last summer:

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... TIGER.html
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

^^ Emanuel Cleaver is still our representative?!? I haven't seen that guy in years. I guess that's what happens when you move to DC.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

beautyfromashes wrote:^^ Emanuel Cleaver is still our representative?!? I haven't seen that guy in years. I guess that's what happens when you move to DC.
FWIW, He was here Wednesday.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

smh wrote:
beautyfromashes wrote:^^ Emanuel Cleaver is still our representative?!? I haven't seen that guy in years. I guess that's what happens when you move to DC.
Following the President around?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

beautyfromashes wrote:
smh wrote:
Following the President around?
Naturally.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

it's worth reposting this since some people elsewhere are making up numbers. please copy this post if you need the numbers

3.0% general MO -
1.0% education MO -
0.125% conservation MO -
0.1% parks and soil MO -
0.5% Jackson County -
0.25% general misc Jackson Co -
0.375 stadium Jackson Co -
0.125 Zoo tax Jackson Co -
1.0% capital improvement KC -
0.5% mass transit KC -
0.375% KCATA KC -
0.25% fire fighters KC -
0.25% public safety KC -
0.5% for parks/streets KC -
1% for KC Live TDD -OR- Performing Arts CID -
1% for streetcar -

=10.35%, the highest rate in the city today

the larger TDD would become 9.35% if both taxes passes or just the tdd passes. 9.1% if just amendment 7 passes. ok, sort of. there's a number of other TDDs that will stack. but the highest rate anywhere inside the TDD will be 10.35% worst case

here's the most recent rate chart showing these numbers http://dor.mo.gov/pdf/rates/2014/jul2014.pdf

here's the kicker, if amendment 7 and the tdd passes, the hwy 210 tdd in Clay County will become 10.85%, the highest in the city.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Question. If prop 7 passes and phase 2 does not can the city still get MODOT's commitment for the Streetcar? If so what are the alternatives for the city?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:Question. If prop 7 passes and phase 2 does not can the city still get MODOT's commitment for the Streetcar? If so what are the alternatives for the city?
short answer, no.

the money would instead go to local road/bridge projects that didn't make the list (likely at modot's sole discretion).

however, not sure how long the offer lasts if question A fails the first time.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

the final pitch from supporters: https://vimeo.com/102480268
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Gut feeling: this doesn't pass.

Anyone who lives in the TDD needs to know this is the last chance we will have at a real transit system in KC for at least another decade. Better vote and take friends who you know are yes votes.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Were there any pro-funding tv commercials? I saw the anti-funding ads several times, which worries me that the only tv message out there was negative.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

kcjak wrote:Were there any pro-funding tv commercials? I saw the anti-funding ads several times, which worries me that the only tv message out there was negative.
money better spent on the ground.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

For a group of people who supposedly want to "Save the Trolley Trail", they sure littered it with a lot of illegally places signs this morning. Thanks, Sherry.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Even if this doesn't pass, I would hope that KCMO finds some way to extend the streetcar to the plaza.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

GRID wrote:Even if this doesn't pass, I would hope that KCMO finds some way to extend the streetcar to the plaza.
Even I would consider the project a failure if it doesn't get extended to the Plaza.