The Cost of Bad Roads in Missouri

Transportation topics in KC
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

A study indicates that bad roads cost each KC driver $1,229 a year. Here's a Business Journal on the topic:

There is no fifth destination.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Extrapolaing that out statewide, I figure if there were only some way to capture that money and funnel it to MODOT, they'd have an extra 1.2 to 1.5 billion dollars per year with which to rebuild I-70 and fix/upgrade all the other highways. ;)
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

scooterj wrote:Extrapolaing that out statewide, I figure if there were only some way to capture that money and funnel it to MODOT, they'd have an extra 1.2 to 1.5 billion dollars per year with which to rebuild I-70 and fix/upgrade all the other highways. ;)
Yeah, we pay more in car maintainence than we would be pay in higher gas taxes. Raising the gas tax to fix the roads would actually save us money when you consider what we pay for car repair. The thing is, most voters still don't trust MoDOT to spend the money wisely, so they won't support a tax increase yet.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Tollroads, run by companies that don't have a stake in housing subsidies and education, would make Missouri's roads some of the best in the states.