Phase 2 streetcar on Independence Avenue

Transportation topics in KC
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Phase 2 streetcar on Independence Avenue

Post by chingon »

Thanks. Thought you meant the "vegan" restaurant.
Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Pork Chop »

chingon wrote:Thanks. Thought you meant the "vegan" restaurant.
Shows that I don't get out much. I didn't know there is a vegan restaurant called Fud.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mykn

Post by mykn »

Pork Chop wrote:
Shows that I don't get out much. I didn't know there is a vegan restaurant called Fud.
It's pretty good, I'd recommend their Jackfruit BBQ!
Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Pork Chop »

mykn wrote:
Pork Chop wrote:
It's pretty good, I'd recommend their Jackfruit BBQ!
thanks and I will definitely try it.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

i'm amazed at how little people know about the northeast. if they know anything, it seems to be prostitution/crime. i've even had people contact me saying this extension concerns them the most because of the elements it might bring to downtown... moreso than linwood or main street through midtown.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

DaveKCMO wrote:i'm amazed at how little people know about the northeast. if they know anything, it seems to be prostitution/crime. i've even had people contact me saying this extension concerns them the most because of the elements it might bring to downtown... moreso than linwood or main street through midtown.
Absolutely. It's hard to believe without seeing it that it has areas rivaling the grandeur of portions of any other of portion of the core considered "tony." Its meat-and-bones neighborhoods may be more intact than almost any area of the core outside the best-preserved parts of Midtown.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

DaveKCMO wrote:i'm amazed at how little people know about the northeast. if they know anything, it seems to be prostitution/crime. i've even had people contact me saying this extension concerns them the most because of the elements it might bring to downtown... moreso than linwood or main street through midtown.
If anyone needed proof that some people just don't even think about the existing bus service...
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

This is why notions of the "urban core" stopping at Troost irritate me so. I don't know if it's subconscious racism manifesting or what, but Minskys in river market won't deliver to my house... or anywhere east of Troost. Troost is less than a mile east of them! It's just 3.2 miles and a ~5-minute drive all the way to my house! They'll deliver to Briarcliff, which is 5 miles away and ~8 minutes. Or 31st and Main, which is 3.3 miles. But nowhere east of Troost, less than a mile away.

They are free to set their delivery borders however they want, but it's more than 3 miles in every direction except east. Less than a mile east. Hmmm.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

mean wrote:This is why notions of the "urban core" stopping at Troost irritate me so. I don't know if it's subconscious racism manifesting or what, but Minskys in river market won't deliver to my house... or anywhere east of Troost. Troost is less than a mile east of them! It's just 3.2 miles and a ~5-minute drive all the way to my house! They'll deliver to Briarcliff, which is 5 miles away and ~8 minutes. Or 31st and Main, which is 3.3 miles. But nowhere east of Troost, less than a mile away.

They are free to set their delivery borders however they want, but it's more than 3 miles in every direction except east. Less than a mile east. Hmmm.
When I lived up there, a wise neighbor told me:

"IF you live east of Troost, there's 3 'p's you can't get to come to your house...and the other 2 are police and pizza".
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Police response time has historically been abysmal, but at least there's Pizza Hut for all your lowest-common-denominator, Blake Shelton-inspired pizza cravings.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Yeah but the reliability of the midtown pizza hut means you need to have about a five hour delivery window around your meal time. Those bastards are dead to me.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Surprisingly, northeast has its own Pizza Hut. More surprisingly, our ghetto-tastic strip mall Pizza Hut is shockingly fast. Unfortunately, I don't think that's really much of a bump on the quality-of-life meter that I can use to wave around and entice people to move here. "Yeah, you'll have to interact with crack-smoking prostitutes occasionally, but who cares? Pizza Hut delivers fast!"
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

mean wrote:Surprisingly, northeast has its own Pizza Hut. More surprisingly, our ghetto-tastic strip mall Pizza Hut is shockingly fast. Unfortunately, I don't think that's really much of a bump on the quality-of-life meter that I can use to wave around and entice people to move here. "Yeah, you'll have to interact with crack-smoking prostitutes occasionally, but who cares? Pizza Hut delivers fast!"
... crack-smoking prostitutes you say?
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

I know people in Columbus Park who do not want a streetcar stop there because it will bring "them" into the neighborhood. There is nothing subconscious about this type of racism, it is blatant.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

pendleton heights asks for bike lane/streetcar combo on independence avenue: http://transitkc.com/wp-content/uploads ... Letter.pdf
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

There are many, many Kansas Citians who don't even know that Cliff Drive, Pendleton Heights, the Kansas City Museum at Corinthian Hall, or the old mansions along Gladstone and Benton boulevards, exist.

It's unfortunate because one can buy houses similar to what one could buy in Midtown or Hyde Park for much less. The commute to downtown--time-wise, is very similar.

I've always thought if the City renamed Independence Avenue something like Kemper Avenue, it might get people to reinvest along the corridor. :lol:
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

DaveKCMO wrote:pendleton heights asks for bike lane/streetcar combo on independence avenue: http://transitkc.com/wp-content/uploads ... Letter.pdf
Pretty sure Bryan Stadler will change their minds with his pithy cartoons and the 20K of Sinquefield cash that the "sudddenly-interested-in-better-buses" group just got.
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

FangKC wrote:
There are many, many Kansas Citians who don't even know that Cliff Drive, Pendleton Heights, the Kansas City Museum at Corinthian Hall, or the old mansions along Gladstone and Benton boulevards, exist.

It's unfortunate because one can buy houses similar to what one could buy in Midtown or Hyde Park for much less. The commute to downtown--time-wise, is very similar.

I've always thought if the City renamed Independence Avenue something like Kemper Avenue, it might get people to reinvest along the corridor. :lol:
I absolutely think you're right that changing the name of Independence Avenue would drastically change the stigma of the street. That being said, I am completely against renaming streets like Indy and Prospect and whatnot. People need to get over their stupid opinions of things they don't understand. The history is too great on these streets. Not to mention the new names would be really annoying no doubt.

But yes this Troost barrier is 100% racist and really uncalled for. There is sooo much of Kansas City that lies east of Troost, and I mean GOOD stuff. Not including all of these people and places is sick and disturbing to me. I really don't think many people even know what lies on and east of Troost.

First of all, if you cross over that barrier, you aren't immediately going to be mugged. You won't be shot. For the most part, these are neighborhoods much like any other part of KC. Seriously it is just like midtown, only there are slightly more vacant lots and plenty of boarded up houses. But come on, that isn't so bad! And yes there are people of color, but once again... that isn't so bad lol! Stop being scared of people from other races. They may not act like you, and do different things than you, but that is a beautiful thing not one to be worried about. Just be real. These neighborhoods are full of real people. True Kansas Citians. Sure there are some who take advantage of others and cause problems in these hoods. All you need to do is be aware of your surroundings and smart, and you will be fine.

I really wish that we could get more middle class people moving into hoods east of Troost. This would be TERRIFIC for Kansas City. It is totally doable too. We just need more to start making the jump. Just think: real estate is cheaper, you can live in a large, classic KC house for much less than even midtown. And these are truly urban neighborhoods, close to downtown. I don't understand how most don't consider part of the east side to be in our "urban core." Much of these neighborhoods are just as dense as midtown. Not to mention the north east, which are the densest zip codes in KC outside of the Plaza.

Troost is destined to be THE great urban street in KC again, no doubt. The bones are already there. And many of the neighborhoods east of it and even the Paseo are ready to come back too. If only the average Kansas Citian would quit being scared of black people.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

But yes this Troost barrier is 100% racist and really uncalled for. There is sooo much of Kansas City that lies east of Troost, and I mean GOOD stuff. Not including all of these people and places is sick and disturbing to me. I really don't think many people even know what lies on and east of Troost.
Trying to change the image of Troost can start with the city itself. Draw Council Districts without using Troost as a boundary.