Phase 2 streetcar on Independence Avenue

Transportation topics in KC
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Phase 2 streetcar on Independence Avenue

Post by DaveKCMO »

the county likes 31st/linwood, actually. that's your connection to the stadiums and the rock island/katy trail.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

DaveKCMO wrote:you don't have to go very far east to prove the streetcar's transformative powers in the northeast. i'd be perfectly content with phase 2 on the avenue stopping as close to downtown as prospect (~1.8 mi from 3rd & grand). all of the neighborhoods along that stretch have been very supportive (columbus park, paseo west, PH).
I believe strongly in the "transformative power" it could have all down the Avenue, but I guess I don't understand how a line from the River Market to Prospect could possibly have the tax base to even get tracks laid? There's only like 8K people in those neighborhoods, most of them low income, and unlike downtown, there is no business presence of any significant size. Seems like you would need to get into the population center of NE (i.e., east of Chestnut - Scarritt, Indian Mound and Lykins) to fund anything.

I will repeat, however, that while I can see the allure and the possibilities of an line into Northeast, I don't see it as a necessity (politically or otherwise). By contrast, if this project doesn't make it to the Plaza, I think 10 years from now you will hear all the same "toy train/boondoggle/doesn't go anywhere" arguments you hear now, only they'll be more justified and they will cripple the future of potential expansion and jeopardize the operational funding of the line we do have.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

chingon wrote:but I guess I don't understand how a line from the River Market to Prospect could possibly have the tax base to even get tracks laid?
it wouldn't. that's the huge issue with phase 2.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

i think i can safely say there is universal agreement that phase 2 to umkc will be prioritized over phase 2 independence avenue. however, up to 3 corridors will advance for further phase 2 study south of the river.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

The combination of generic anti-transit folks combined with a dispirited east side/NE population will scuttle any expansion. It's why "touristy frou frou" happened.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

phase 2 corridor meetings scheduled: http://nextrailkc.com/milestones/events/
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Piece of information to save.

http://www.marc.org/2040/Land-Use_Direc ... idors.aspx
MARC and its transit and local government partners have identified six corridors that are the highest priority for the region to develop as the backbone of this transit system

North Oak Trafficway
State Avenue
Metcalf Avenue / Shawnee Mission Parkway
Troost Avenue
Rock Island corridor
U.S. Highway 24/40
This is one of the corridors and is a connection point to the Troost corridor
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

independence avenue corridor workshop tonight! http://nextrailkc.com/milestones/events/

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

best phase 2 turnout thus far last night.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Good to hear. I'd have been there but for the fact that I'm halfway across the country.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Michael Bushnell, publisher of the Northeast News, doesn't appear to support the study for the proposed streetcar line down Independence Avenue.

http://northeastnews.net/pages/?p=20862
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

FangKC wrote:Michael Bushnell, publisher of the Northeast News, doesn't appear to support the study for the proposed streetcar line down Independence Avenue.

Sounds more like El Bryan's handwriting.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

loftguy wrote:
FangKC wrote:Michael Bushnell, publisher of the Northeast News, doesn't appear to support the study for the proposed streetcar line down Independence Avenue.

Sounds more like El Bryan's handwriting.
Umm... what's the background on the NENews? Half the articles are run of the mill neighborhood newsletter fare, but the other half are bitchy, angry op/ed pieces. Even some of the news pieces are bitchy. I know it's been around for ages, but I never actually read any of it until now. Is this an editor with an ax to grind situation?
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Where's Sportster when you need him?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

bushnell actually does not like the project and has written negatively about it before ("it's not infrastructure" or something). it really doesn't matter since all of the neighborhoods have either voiced support or stayed neutral. moving on...
Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Pork Chop »

DaveKCMO wrote:independence avenue corridor workshop tonight! http://nextrailkc.com/milestones/events/

David, in your opinion which route would be better for economic development for KC as a whole. The route that runs to Columbus Park or one that goes along Admiral Blvd/7th Street to the 7th and Main Street stop for the main Street line?

I am not sure how much development can occur in Columbus Park (I would believe a lot), but I know there is a lot of development potential along the 7th Street to main street route.

As you know, the Admiral Blvd route would benefit me personally, but I would hope that I would take more of a larger perspective towards a line that benefits the city as a whole.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Columbus Park
Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Pork Chop »

DaveKCMO wrote:Columbus Park

Columbus Park it is then. 8)
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

I'm biased towards an Admiral Boulevard alignment, too--but I'm not opposed to a Columbus Park alignment by any means, but I have concerns. My primary concerns with the Columbus Park alignment stem from the fact that in the past the proposed alignment is shown following Cherry/Independence along MO 9 and I-70. It looks like the NextRail map shows it going down Fifth to Charlotte, which is better but still has a park along two blocks and still loses a lot of frontage to the highways.

I also like the idea of an Admiral alignment as a catalyst for the East Village, which seems to be completely listless. A 12th Street route would obviously be the best for this, but barring that, Admiral would be the next best to get something moving there and Paseo West.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.