OFFICIAL - Main Street Streetcar Extension

Transportation topics in KC
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Phase 2 streetcar to UMKC

Post by missingkc »

beautyfromashes, has there been some official or public announcement of plans to rethink Midtown Marketplace?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

missingkc wrote:beautyfromashes, has there been some official or public announcement of plans to rethink Midtown Marketplace?
Nothing official yet.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Too bad.
Darlene
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Darlene »

Why are you guys talking about me like that? Is it because I am a woman? I seen your almost all men on here. I think there should be more parking. Can I not have my own opinion about that? This is sexism pure and simple.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Darlene wrote:Why are you guys talking about me like that? Is it because I am a woman? I seen your almost all men on here. I think there should be more parking. Can I not have my own opinion about that? This is sexism pure and simple.
Darlene- Have you seen the Kansas Suburbs thread? It might be more your speed, especially since you live in Kansas. Most everyone on this board are interested in a more dense, urban environment. Parking lots are the antithesis of this. Chain, cookie-cutter shops and restaurants are also counter to this. I think you might be happy in that thread as it will fit more with your wants. There’s also another poster, msgsports, that has similarities views as you that would be a good connection for you. Welcome to the board.
Darlene
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Darlene »

Thank you for your decent response. Yes, I live in Kansas and I like my area I also like to go to the Plaza so I think I should be able to say what I think. Isn't this a place to come to talk about Kansas City? If you all just want to pat each other on the backs, like good old boys, fine but I think you all should be open to what other people want to say and what they think too. What your saying is basically anybody who does not share your exact views should not be allowd to talk. You need to think about that.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Agreed, but we do like to keep on topic. Back to the Main Street extension, please.
Darlene
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Darlene »

Sorry I was just responding to the people saying bad things about me.

I saw the train on Main street and I think it is real neat. I was worried it might take away some parking but somebody said before that they thought it would add some parking if it runs down the middle of the street. With these trains how do they stop cars from getting in the way?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Darlene wrote:Sorry I was just responding to the people saying bad things about me.

I saw the train on Main street and I think it is real neat. I was worried it might take away some parking but somebody said before that they thought it would add some parking if it runs down the middle of the street. With these trains how do they stop cars from getting in the way?
Towing and fines

It's not any different from how it's done downtown
Darlene
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Darlene »

What if it hits a car? I think I read in the paper there was a crash a while back wasn't there? I hope nobody got hurt.

When is this train going to open down to the Plaza?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Darlene wrote:What if it hits a car? I think I read in the paper there was a crash a while back wasn't there? I hope nobody got hurt.

When is this train going to open down to the Plaza?
Zero injuries or fatalities since streetcar opened. Most crashes are the fault of drivers and their insurance foots the bill for streetcar repairs.

UMKC/Plaza extension would open in 2023.
Darlene
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Darlene »

Wow 2023? Why in the world does it take so long to build it?
mykn

Post by mykn »

Darlene, if you are indeed a real person, I suggest doing what most of us do when we join a new group. Listen and learn. All of these things have been talked about endlessly around here, I would suggest reading back through the threads to get the answers to your questions. The reason people are giving you a hard time is because you are asking questions that have been talked a lot around here and just hanging out and reading should answer a lot of them for you.

No one is talking down to you because your a woman and sharing your opinion. You have come into an urbanists forum and talking about things that are the antithesis of urbanism. This is not a general purpose Kansas City discussion board. I would bet that if you went into a dog lovers message board and started talking about cats, people would think you are trolling as well.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Darlene wrote:Wow 2023? Why in the world does it take so long to build it?
Five years is very quick. That includes the process of figuring out funding

St Louis is at 7.5 years since the point of having money figured out and still counting.

Look up the Second Avenue Subway for how long a transit line can take to build.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Darlene wrote:Wow 2023? Why in the world does it take so long to build it?
I used to ask that question too. Then I got a job in real estate development.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Darlene wrote:What if it hits a car? I think I read in the paper there was a crash a while back wasn't there? I hope nobody got hurt.
Do you park on train tracks? Do you drive on train tracks?
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Darlene wrote:I do not like to look for a parking place. Is this going to take away some parking?
The city actually has a bi-state agreement to use eminent domain to seize your property to demolish your house and build a parking lot for your neighbors leisurely use. It's all in the plan. How else would they find more parking if nearby garages aren't an option?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Darlene, if you live in Kansas, I believe there is an obscure law still on the books that allows homeless people squatters' rights to park their vehicle on your front lawn if they can't find a more convenient location. Kansans aren't expected to ever walk anywhere, so you are in good company. It's in the state constitution. If there is no street parking, it also allows the visitors and relatives of your neighbors to park in your driveway or on your front lawn.

Be careful. There is also that antiquated goat law that allows people to tie up goats for grazing on your lawn, since Kansas is considered a free-range state. Got to love those libertarians. However, goat shepherds are not allowed to fence your lawn without your permission.
Darlene
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Darlene »

And Missourians are expected to walk? You may think you live in a big city but you don't. Most of th epeople on the Missouri side live the same as Kansasns and drive every place to.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Darlene wrote:And Missourians are expected to walk? You may think you live in a big city but you don't. Most of th epeople on the Missouri side live the same as Kansasns and drive every place to.
Kansas City is the largest city in the entire state, with even more people than St. Louis and far more activity. We have the potential to feel like a "big city", but the reason we don't is because there are certain backwards people who are perfectly content with the status quo, and even want to hinder any strides the city takes to even marginally improve upon it.