OFFICIAL - Main Street Streetcar Extension

Transportation topics in KC
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Phase 2 streetcar to UMKC

Post by mean »

At the end of the day, I think we've learned that people are irrationally greedy and self-interested and should probably all just be killed.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

(That is frustrated sarcasm, please don't kill anybody.)
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

On the 4 blocks in high heels discussion: I kind of understand the point though it is blatantly poor taste in its sexism. But, I’m not sure a guy from Olathe will make that walk from Westport and Main to McCoys as it stands now. I’m constantly amazed at the pure terror that suburbanites have about the core of this city. And, if those blocks are redone like I think they will be, lazy Americans will stop at the first acceptable bar and not even make it to “Old Westport”.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

At the end of the day the primary goal of the expansion is not to make sure Kelly's maximizes profit.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

beautyfromashes wrote: lazy Americans will stop at the first acceptable bar and not even make it to “Old Westport”.
If we were to give morons like Nigro any credit, then this is his real fear.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

beautyfromashes wrote:On the 4 blocks in high heels discussion: I kind of understand the point though it is blatantly poor taste in its sexism. But, I’m not sure a guy from Olathe will make that walk from Westport and Main to McCoys as it stands now. I’m constantly amazed at the pure terror that suburbanites have about the core of this city. And, if those blocks are redone like I think they will be, lazy Americans will stop at the first acceptable bar and not even make it to “Old Westport”.
The E end of Westport will beef up and enhance with streetcar very close. It should eventually become a contiguous active pedestrian experience from street car stop all along Westport Rd, an overall bigger and better Westport. Is realistic more market rate apts build up too on E End, such as in old Keith Coldsnow spot. Think of how Armour improved (pedestrian 'scare factor') as it transitioned to more market rate.

But would suggest streetcar stops placed between 39th/Westport Rd, not at 39th.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Where does the boundary to Westport end on the north side? I always thought Westport ended on the south side of 39th, with Valentine beginning on the north side...which is the side Mr. Nigro's law firm is on. Interestingly enough, his law firm is roughly the same distance (.3 miles) from the intersection of Westport/Penn as a streetcar stop at Westport/Main would be.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I think the hidden context here is that they don't think their customers are the ones that will use the streetcar. Their target customers don't live on it and won't use it.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

The other day I ran into a group of about 7 people at Zoo Bar who had been in KC for a couple of days for training and had been all over downtown enjoying the nightlife, but wanted to stick with dive bars. They'd heard about Westport, and in particular Buzzard Beach, and asked if it was in walking distance. I laughed and said that it would take a little over an hour to walk there.

"Does the streetcar go near there?" they asked.

"Not yet,"I said, "it will in a few years."

Since they couldn't take the streetcar, they opted not to go to Westport at all. The Cigar Box got their business instead.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

WoodDraw wrote:I think the hidden context here is that they don't think their customers are the ones that will use the streetcar. Their target customers don't live on it and won't use it.
It's always a mistake to assume that if your customers are far enough only a car works that someone can't open up closer and take them away.

Metro North Mall and Independence Center in relation to Liberty is a great example of this. We used to drive to both for all shopping then all the retail opened in Shoal Creek.

It certainly was true that for decades you went to Westport for night life. Only other areas know this too and are providing closer options. Martini corner is a good example of this happening.
KCTOGA
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCTOGA »

scooterj wrote:The other day I ran into a group of about 7 people at Zoo Bar who had been in KC for a couple of days for training and had been all over downtown enjoying the nightlife, but wanted to stick with dive bars. They'd heard about Westport, and in particular Buzzard Beach, and asked if it was in walking distance. I laughed and said that it would take a little over an hour to walk there.

"Does the streetcar go near there?" they asked.

"Not yet,"I said, "it will in a few years."

Since they couldn't take the streetcar, they opted not to go to Westport at all. The Cigar Box got their business instead.
Wish you and all others on this forum would write Kelly's etc.. and let them know this. A couple hundred letters like this one by Scooterj, or just to voice your displeasure in their decision could make a difference.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

flyingember wrote:
WoodDraw wrote:I think the hidden context here is that they don't think their customers are the ones that will use the streetcar. Their target customers don't live on it and won't use it.
It's always a mistake to assume that if your customers are far enough only a car works that someone can't open up closer and take them away.

Metro North Mall and Independence Center in relation to Liberty is a great example of this. We used to drive to both for all shopping then all the retail opened in Shoal Creek.

It certainly was true that for decades you went to Westport for night life. Only other areas know this too and are providing closer options. Martini corner is a good example of this happening.
I think Westport has always been a reactionary neighborhood as opposed to forward thinking. We only have to go back to their dislike of power and light a decade ago. They have questions urban ideals, at best.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCTOGA wrote: Wish you and all others on this forum would write Kelly's etc.. and let them know this. A couple hundred letters like this one by Scooterj, or just to voice your displeasure in their decision could make a difference.
Some people need to pay for private domain registration

mpkelly01@gmail.com Kelly's
get off their website- Char Bar, McCoys (covers Collins Westphal & Kelpe Inc too)
aggievillebars@gmail.com Johnny Kaw's
aclemons79@gmail.com Clemens Real Estate
tiarts@hotmail.com Theatre of the Imagination- the biggest donor

Can't find contact info:
Vance-Arnoldy/Buzzard Beach
Jim Nutter
CAD Management LLC
First Restaurant Co
Westport Land Management
Promote Westport
KCTOGA
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCTOGA »

flyingember wrote:
KCTOGA wrote: Wish you and all others on this forum would write Kelly's etc.. and let them know this. A couple hundred letters like this one by Scooterj, or just to voice your displeasure in their decision could make a difference.
Some people need to pay for private domain registration

mpkelly01@gmail.com Kelly's
get off their website- Char Bar, McCoys (covers Collins Westphal & Kelpe Inc too)
aggievillebars@gmail.com Johnny Kaw's
aclemons79@gmail.com Clemens Real Estate
tiarts@hotmail.com Theatre of the Imagination- the biggest donor

Can't find contact info:
Vance-Arnoldy/Buzzard Beach
Jim Nutter
CAD Management LLC
First Restaurant Co
Westport Land Management
Promote Westport
Much Thanks !!!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

flyingember wrote: Westport Land Management
Tom Platt
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Well-Known Westport Merchants Opposing Streetcar Expansion Plan

https://cityscenekc.com/prominent-westp ... sion-plan/
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

This article is a lot better than anything with a Bill Nigro quote has been.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-co ... 82479.html
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

flyingember wrote:This article is a lot better than anything with a Bill Nigro quote has been.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-co ... 82479.html
Agreed, fantastic article. Mellinger hit it on the head- there needs to be more conversation on how we can address the Westport merchant's genuine concerns regarding the proposed additional financial burden that a TDD would place on them.

I think a commitment to implement a complete street program, lighting upgrades and assistance to help development and beautification along the path from the proposed stop to WP would go quite a long way to alleviating their concerns, but like the article states, may not necessarily change their position.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

why don't they use their 1% sales tax CID to do those things?

$60-80MM of the streetcar project coming from Westport? JFC guys....I think it's a good article about sitting down IRL to talk things out and glad they reached out to streetcar supporters (I was invited but wasn't able to make it) but the basis for their concerns seems to be a bit off.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

How about bike taxis with drivers who can pre-wand parties heading to Westport and drop them off outside their destination, then return them to streetcar stop afterwards? One of those things that could be clever, or stupid.