OFFICIAL - Main Street Streetcar Extension

Transportation topics in KC
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Phase 2 streetcar to UMKC

Post by DaveKCMO »

"Watch" party on Wednesday evening at the new Whole Foods: https://www.facebook.com/events/1524433544335427/
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

DaveKCMO wrote:
3,545 is the final count for @kcstreetcar ballots accepted before the 5pm June 12 deadline... 10% of registered voters in the TDD boundary ("turnout").

4,770 ballots were mailed & 5,044 were requested.

Certified results announced at noon June 20 at Union Station!
So given leaders likely know preliminary results and they are planning an event based announcement (WF watch party as well) rather than low key announcement, pretty much confirms it passed, right? And would be surprising if you don't already know Dave. :)
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

earthling wrote:
DaveKCMO wrote:
3,545 is the final count for @kcstreetcar ballots accepted before the 5pm June 12 deadline... 10% of registered voters in the TDD boundary ("turnout").

4,770 ballots were mailed & 5,044 were requested.

Certified results announced at noon June 20 at Union Station!
So given leaders likely know preliminary results and they are planning an event based announcement (WF watch party as well) rather than low key announcement, pretty much confirms it passed, right? And would be surprising if you don't already know Dave. :)
yea, it's pretty obvious it passed. Just announce it already...
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

The election board won't release preliminary results (same stance they took for the formation vote last year). We'll know on Wednesday with everyone else.

That being said, with the known number of returns (3,500ish) and who the voters are we can easily estimate a win.
Imarealperson
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Imarealperson »

Will the expansion come with new LED street lighting like the starter line did? Also, will they use the lower Kelvin lighting? That harsh daylight blue LED lighting downtown is really bad.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah who likes daylight. Gross.
Imarealperson
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Imarealperson »

KCPowercat wrote:Yeah who likes daylight. Gross.
No need to be a smartass. Nobody likes daylight at 2 am. . There is a reason municipalities are going away from it. It screws with wildlife and even human circadian rythyms. You wouldn’t put a daylight LED in your home. I would hope the new lighting will be 3000 kelvin or less.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

My condo is all daylight bulbs.

Welcome to the site....we are typically smartasses to each other....
Imarealperson
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Imarealperson »

KCPowercat wrote:My condo is all daylight bulbs.

Gross. It bet it looks like an operating room in there.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Imarealperson wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:My condo is all daylight bulbs.

Gross. It bet it looks like an operating room in there.
That's the spirit!
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

The only reason people use daylight bulbs is because they don't know any better.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Imarealperson wrote:Will the expansion come with new LED street lighting like the starter line did? Also, will they use the lower Kelvin lighting? That harsh daylight blue LED lighting downtown is really bad.
The lights the city installed downtown are around 5000 Kelvin, IIRC, but not sure what they would install elsewhere. I prefer it to the orange that preceded it and it's in the range where security is a goal (and it is): http://www.westinghouselighting.com/col ... ature.aspx

They are also dimmable, but the auto-dimming feature is not enabled at the moment (I've seen a demo of it working on Main).
Imarealperson
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Imarealperson »

The orange are high pressure sodium lighting, They provide a ton of light but are an old technology. If you’re ever curious to see the difference, drive down 75th st in PV ant night and compare those 3000k to those in Roeland Park at 4000k or so. The warmer lights are much more inviting. Lawrence is changing from 4000k tominder 3000k also.

What they did downtown was fine at the time but technology changes over 7-8 years. The warmer colored LEDs are the same price at the cooler ones, btw.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Imarealperson wrote:The orange are high pressure sodium lighting, They provide a ton of light but are an old technology. If you’re ever curious to see the difference, drive down 75th st in PV ant night and compare those 3000k to those in Roeland Park at 4000k or so. The warmer lights are much more inviting. Lawrence is changing from 4000k tominder 3000k also.

What they did downtown was fine at the time but technology changes over 7-8 years. The warmer colored LEDs are the same price at the cooler ones, btw.
Call Public Works and let them know: 816-513-9970
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Nooo...
Imarealperson
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Imarealperson »

Public works knows.
I was just wondering if anyone here had seen what the plans are and if they are just copy/paste the starter line specs or not.

I know it seems ridiculous to be concerned with something like this but it would go along way to making the route look more pedestrian friendly and not like a parking garage.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

This pedestrian prefers daylight.
Imarealperson
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Imarealperson »

taxi wrote:The only reason people use daylight bulbs is because they don't know any better.
Exactly. Genius marketing move in the days where commercial LEDs were only that harsh blue color.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

DaveKCMO wrote:Boards from the public meeting: http://kcstreetcar.org/wp-content/uploa ... dsMaps.pdf
the more I look at these designs the more I think about how much potential we are about to flush and I'm kinda angry and how shit these designs are... This design reduces traffic lanes on main and puts a streetcar in that traffic. Why is there still parking on main? Why does this not have a dedicated streetcar/bus lane? Why are we designing the streetcar network to be as slow as possible? The downtown segment is garbage for design... Have the people that drew these up ever been to Europe????

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

dnweava wrote:
DaveKCMO wrote:Boards from the public meeting: http://kcstreetcar.org/wp-content/uploa ... dsMaps.pdf
the more I look at these designs the more I think about how much potential we are about to flush and I'm kinda angry and how shit these designs are... This design reduces traffic lanes on main and puts a streetcar in that traffic. Why is there still parking on main? Why does this not have a dedicated streetcar/bus lane? Why are we designing the streetcar network to be as slow as possible? The downtown segment is garbage for design... Have the people that drew these up ever been to Europe????

Reallocating space away from cars (or restricting their movements) is hard everywhere in America. Surely you have observed this fact.

That being said, the downtown streetcar has the best on-time performance in the region (and best streetcar-specific OTP in the US), travel times have been decreasing since launch, and incremental restrictions on car intrusions have been made all along the alignment. I appreciate the purist attitude, but it is just that. The city holds the keys as the system owner and controller of the right of way. Consider yourself lucky we even got the opportunity to study a center lane alignment (you're welcome).

Also, you bring no demographic data to support your assertion that it's "just for white people". Even anecdata from daily trips would tell you that is a lie. That's not even anecdotally the case on Saturdays. Nice try, though!