OFFICIAL - Main Street Streetcar Extension

Transportation topics in KC
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Phase 2 streetcar to UMKC

Post by flyingember »

KCTOGA wrote:who can i contact to tell them "I will NEVER spend another dollar in Westport if this fails" ?
http://westportkcmo.com/
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

JBmidtown wrote:This shit is ridiculous. These people don’t even live in the city and they’re trying to block improved transit for the urban core because they don’t want to pay some extra taxes. What a load of shit.
Its irony to the extreme. They formed a CID that levies a 1% sales tax without a public vote. Now they are complaining about having to pay taxes for something and not getting to vote...
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

alejandro46 wrote:http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 54839.html
Not everybody. "What women are going to walk four blocks at night in any urban core in the country? "Are you kidding me?" Nigro said.
TL;DR:

"Let's kill the streetcar because a percentage of girls wearing heels can't stand a ~6 minute walk from 39th st to Westport." Logical.
I read that as being about danger, not distance. He actually just dismissed the close the streets for safety effort they pushed for, indirectly implying it won't make the neighborhood safe.

Ooops

Bill Nigro needs to stop talking to the press.
kboish wrote:
JBmidtown wrote:This shit is ridiculous. These people don’t even live in the city and they’re trying to block improved transit for the urban core because they don’t want to pay some extra taxes. What a load of shit.
Its irony to the extreme. They formed a CID that levies a 1% sales tax without a public vote. Now they are complaining about having to pay taxes for something and not getting to vote...
There's the counter argument to use.

"They formed a CID and added a sales tax without a public vote and not they're against a public vote for the streetcar"
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Most Kansas City quotes ever.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Some highlights
"We pay the tab and we have no say," said Nigro.
So...like every property tax vote ever in the world. BTW we are paying 1% CID tab and have no say (except not going to westport i guess)
Only about 5,000 of the TDD's estimated 35,000 eligible voters applied for ballots prior to the April 3 deadline. This week, the Jackson County Circuit Court, which administers the contest, mailed out about 4,700 ballots.
The use of "only" here annoys me. It's a higher % turnout than the last election we had.
Nigro said Westport's 200 businesses and 4,000 employees are already shelling out plenty in sales and earnings taxes. Compared to the downtown Power & Light District, which remains heavily subsidized by the city
P&L pays the exact same in sales and earnings tax.
"You'd think that if Westport was such an attraction, they would have put a stop in Westport," said Kim Kimbrough,
so maybe you aren't "such an attraction"....which I don't believe....because main stop feeds it just fine.
While business owners are unhappy, they're reluctant to talk about it publicly
Why are they letting the kooks like Nigro speak for them? You took a stand with your money, tell us why.
"What women are going to walk four blocks at night in any urban core in the country? "Are you kidding me?" Nigro said.
I mean.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

KCPowercat wrote:Some highlights
"What women are going to walk four blocks at night in any urban core in the country? "Are you kidding me?" Nigro said.
I mean.
That one was especially gross.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

The area between Broadway and Main on Westport road is going to be awesome! I really think the Westport crew are worried about cheap competition from new establishments that will fill that area. Essentially making Westport larger would hurt their bottom line IF there isn’t more traffic. Density in the area is key.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

That's gotta be a huge part of it. I haven't been down there for a while but it seems like there are plenty enough vacant or underutilized spaces right along Main there, some of which would almost certainly become direct competition and in a vastly more desirable and accessible location. The old Katz is still empty isn't it? And the theater where Soreal Design used to be, wasn't that supposed to be reclaimed as a theater? Or did I imagine it? I may have imagined it.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah that's an excellent point.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

And the point makes more sense when you think about some people’s issues with density.

Density brings more customers to the same area, and not being car dependent means they’re more likely to stay in the area for shopping. And density helps keep taxes down per square foot because rates can be lower for the same return.

It’s a viscious circle, they can’t be for any project because they all work best when the all succeed and once they fight one project they have to fight them all.

I somehow picture the paid parking industry is funding all this because only they don’t benefit in the end. Every other business will come out ahead.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

I mean, rhymes with Darlene.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

The rush for liquor licenses for new places along Main will also be very interesting. Westport merchants will likely fight any new ones. Personally, I think it’s a losing battle. There are going to be many, many new restaurants and bars due to the streetcar. Places like Kelly’s that think the can turn the lights on, not mop their floors and sell warm beer while making money hand over fist will be affected. They should be worried.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

alejandro46 wrote:
kcjak wrote:Saw DeJanes on KSHB last night - describing her SmartKC as leading the contingent of Westport businesses against the streetcar because people would have to walk .4 miles from the stop to Westport, but the businesses still have to pay the extra tax.
This may be the dumbest argument I have heard in awhile. Since the stop is such long 5 minute walk away, let's just not build any streetcar stops at all.

I hope she provides such stunning legal reasoning and argument crafting to her clients.
Yes, it is a dumb argument. But we also just heard the exact same argument from some Union Hill urbanites on this very board, so...
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Of course I agree that Sherry, Bill and the rest of these Westport "anti's" are fools, but I worry about the bitchy responses from some of the streetcar advocates. "Bring it on" and boycott threats will not help our cause and I worry that division will only weaken our efforts. A better response would be to use facts and statistics as intelligent counter-arguments. Let's not mess this election up.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

What facts and statistics. I was actually mulling this over this morning on my over 4 block walk to write something more positive....what facts counter sexist irrational comments?

My biggest beef is these businesses hiding behind these kook comments. I'd have a lot more respect.for them if they came out and stated why they were concerned....that we can give them facts and stats.

I actually think their not talking and letting Nigro go wild will make any fence leaning voter go pro streetcar (which was 70% yes last time remember) because to a person they have walked 4 blocks in the urban core.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

taxi wrote:Of course I agree that Sherry, Bill and the rest of these Westport "anti's" are fools, but I worry about the bitchy responses from some of the streetcar advocates. "Bring it on" and boycott threats will not help our cause and I worry that division will only weaken our efforts. A better response would be to use facts and statistics as intelligent counter-arguments. Let's not mess this election up.
Boycotts actually work well if they come hard and fast.

see #grabyourwallet
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I tried to smooth the waters via the same channels that they were roughed up.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

chingon wrote: Yes, it is a dumb argument. But we also just heard the exact same argument from some Union Hill urbanites on this very board, so...
True, but there is a big difference between a neighborhood advocate and streetcar supporter in UH wanting a closer stop and a business person giving money to kill the extension entirely.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote:
chingon wrote: Yes, it is a dumb argument. But we also just heard the exact same argument from some Union Hill urbanites on this very board, so...
True, but there is a big difference between a neighborhood advocate and streetcar supporter in UH wanting a closer stop and a business person giving money to kill the extension entirely.
There where definitely calls from some UH people along the lines of "if there is no UH stop, we will vote no." People who can actually vote who threaten to kill the expansion is far worse than someone who can't vote who donates money to an ineffective campaign.
Last edited by normalthings on Thu May 03, 2018 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Yeah, I took that as a desperate attempt to scare the decision in their direction. I never took it that they would really vote no. I could be wrong.