OFFICIAL - Main Street Streetcar Extension

Transportation topics in KC
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: Phase 2 streetcar to UMKC

Post by JBmidtown »

This brings up another question: has there been any recent polling on support for the extension within the corridor?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

JBmidtown wrote:This brings up another question: has there been any recent polling on support for the extension within the corridor?
You don't really need polling if you have recent election results. Also, polling is expensive and there's no indication things have changed since the poll taken last year (which was off the chart, btw).

This election is pretty safe bet. If we fail for some reason, the TDD Act allows you to keep asking voters ad nauseum (you don't have to start the formation process over again).
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

kcjak wrote:I can't find the info now, but someone in the Volker neighborhood discussion FB group shared some info that Sherry DeJanes had provided the West Plaza group. Basically encouraged residents to vote no in the next election so we wouldn't burden our neighbors within the taxing district that was set up unfairly, blah blah blah.

I was encouraged that most comments were anti-DeJanes.

THE ENTIRE WEST PLAZA NEIGHBORHOOD IS OUTSIDE OF THE SPECIAL ASSESSMENT ZONE.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

The ballot application is now live: https://www.16thcircuit.org/streetcar

Deadline for application is 5pm April 3.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

How is she gonna turn around at 51st?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

taxi wrote:How is she gonna turn around at 51st?
I still have questions about what the extension will look like. We haven’t gotten firm assurances on center running vs. side, stop locations finalized, etc. I’m hearing, “the neighborhood will decide”, but i don’t even know who makes the choice to determine what that is. Who makes final decisions? I really hate that the vote is before the neighborhood meetings. Out of order.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

It's hard to do much planning if you don't know where the money for planning will be there.

Is the details of how a train is turning around or lane of travel really making your yes/no vote decision?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

beautyfromashes wrote:
taxi wrote:How is she gonna turn around at 51st?
I still have questions about what the extension will look like. We haven’t gotten firm assurances on center running vs. side, stop locations finalized, etc. I’m hearing, “the neighborhood will decide”, but i don’t even know who makes the choice to determine what that is. Who makes final decisions? I really hate that the vote is before the neighborhood meetings. Out of order.
The south terminus will likely operate like Union Station (tail track that allows vehicles to pass each other through a switch). Whether that's in the street or CCROW is still being decided (CCROW seems likely, given that's what it's there for and there's enough space for tracks and trail).

The rest of these decisions will actually be decided at the next two public meetings, both of which should be concluded before ballots are due on June 12. Don't expect stop locations to be that different from MAX.
mykn

Post by mykn »

DaveKCMO wrote:Don't expect stop locations to be that different from MAX.
*fingers crossed* Linwood & Main
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I really hope we're able to make a best lane decision based on data and goals for the area and not off what OHP, et al. shriek about at a public meeting. (imho)
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

fingers crossed ccrw end station.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCPowercat wrote:Is the details of how a train is turning around or lane of travel really making your yes/no vote decision?
I picture some cranky NIMBY who parks on street in midtown being upset that he has to watch for the train when pulling out (ignoring he needs to watch for cars) and only voting yes if the train is center running.

And beside them is an equally cranky NIMBY not wanting their left turn blocked with track and only voting yes if the train is edge running
mykn

Post by mykn »

smh wrote:I really hope we're able to make a best lane decision based on data and goals for the area and not off what OHP, et al. shriek about at a public meeting. (imho)
No worries, there will be shrieking in all directions at the OHP meeting
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

mykn wrote:
smh wrote:I really hope we're able to make a best lane decision based on data and goals for the area and not off what OHP, et al. shriek about at a public meeting. (imho)
No worries, there will be shrieking in all directions at the OHP meeting
You were supposed to get those people under control! :lol:
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

KCPowercat wrote: Is the details of how a train is turning around or lane of travel really making your yes/no vote decision?
It depends on what the answers are. The problem I have is I can’t get an answer on who makes the decisions. I understand there will be neighborhood input and there is some expectation on what the line will look like. But, I’ve seen public meetings where none of the input was considered and the person who seemed to be the decision maker wasn’t. I want to see the plan. Right now, there is nothing set in stone and money is being requested. It seems that confidence is so high in a passage that there is no need to give important, specific details.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Everybody needs a level.of detail to vote on something and I respect thst...but telling me the same system that's downtown is going to go to 53rd street has me at a yes....I saw the process work the first time which gave us a good end product so i have confidence in voting yes not knowing the lane of traffic the whole way....but sounds like that will be determined prior to your ballot bring due so maybe a moot point.

As to who decides...I assume it's the experts hired to draw up the design ...with public input as a data point.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

^ I understand your faith. Did you know this type of information when you voted for the DT line? Did you know the stops and lane? I’m excited about the streetcar. It will be great for Midtown. I worry that the goal of some is so singular on improving trip times for DTrs running to Tge Plaza or commuters that stops will be spread out and that the neighborhood will not see the full benefit. Having the vote before input makes me, obviously, uneasy since there will be no recourse for forcing changes afterward.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Dave will probably prove me wrong but from my memory we knew stops but maybe not lane of travel?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

beautyfromashes wrote:The problem I have is I can’t get an answer on who makes the decisions.
It's called consensus.

Ultimately, the city owns the streetcar and the public right of way so they would have ultimate decision-making authority. In reality, the city often defers to partners, stakeholders, and the public. Hopefully there is consensus in those three groups on stop locations and lane choice.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »