OFFICIAL - Main Street Streetcar Extension

Transportation topics in KC
mykn

Re: Phase 2 streetcar to UMKC

Post by mykn »

FangKC wrote:Many people who leave trade schools end up making as much or more than someone with a 4-year college degree.
It was a real eye opener when we bought our house and had some trades out to do work. They make good money.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

mykn wrote:
FangKC wrote:Many people who leave trade schools end up making as much or more than someone with a 4-year college degree.
It was a real eye opener when we bought our house and had some trades out to do work. They make good money.
Can attest to this as well. Have a friend who is a painter and another who is an electrician both in Chicago area. They make really good money for not having college degrees. Your average will likely top out lower than those with college degrees, but imo by no means is having a college degree requisite for being a high-income person.

My point on our last page- I wonder what the break-out is of the % cost of materials/labor/misc. admin work. I would guess that labor is higher (which is why I guessed that cost fluxuation would have a greater impact than tariffs, even though it looks like the % is still going to be less with the tariffs).
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

I'm sure they do make good money, but If they are legit contractors then remember all the overhead that comes with running a company, bonding, insurance, marketing and taxes are no small cost. That's all calculated into the hourly rate.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

UMKC's new Chancellor reaffirms the university's support for streetcar expansion: https://www.kansascity.com/opinion/read ... 35255.html
Voters supported this great idea by a nearly 3-to-1 margin. And UMKC fully intends to support it as well, in every sense of the word — including financial support. We are working closely with our partners in city government to determine an appropriate level of financial support. While state law exempts us from the taxes to be levied within the expanded Transportation Development District, we fully intend to voluntarily contribute to this progress in a tangible way.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

So there is an article in the KC BJ about purchasing 9 more streetcars for the extensions. Actually 11 I guess when you include the two on order for the current line. I'm just wondering if they plan to build a major expansion of the maintenance facility or will they build another facility in a different part of the city or just use what they have?

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... -need.html
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

GRID wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:46 pm So there is an article in the KC BJ about purchasing 9 more streetcars for the extensions. Actually 11 I guess when you include the two on order for the current line. I'm just wondering if they plan to build a major expansion of the maintenance facility or will they build another facility in a different part of the city or just use what they have?

Already announced plan to use the same facility.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

flyingember wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:38 pm
GRID wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:46 pm So there is an article in the KC BJ about purchasing 9 more streetcars for the extensions. Actually 11 I guess when you include the two on order for the current line. I'm just wondering if they plan to build a major expansion of the maintenance facility or will they build another facility in a different part of the city or just use what they have?

Confirmed. KCSA bought a small property last year adjacent to the existing VMF that supports parts storage and training. Gives a little extra space in the existing facility for expansion, plus the VMF footprint was always envisioned to support a lot more storage track (some of which is already under contract to construct with excess TDD funds) and an additional bay.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:41 pm
flyingember wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:38 pm

Confirmed. KCSA bought a small property last year adjacent to the existing VMF that supports parts storage and training. Gives a little extra space in the existing facility for expansion, plus the VMF footprint was always envisioned to support a lot more storage track (some of which is already under contract to construct with excess TDD funds) and an additional bay.

Cool. So it looks like they would expand to the north.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Correct.

Coming soon: A confirmation of this expansion's submission into the federal grant process (deadline is September 28). Congress continues to rebuff the administration's attempt to shutter/de-fund the program.
joshmv
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by joshmv »

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... nment.html

"The project team determined the streetcar would run along the outside lane of Main Street, as opposed to the center two lanes with medians at the stops. The stretch of Main Street running through Midtown is significantly wider than the streetcar's starter line, giving workers four to six lanes to build the project."
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I was center running fan but the analysis makes me a believer
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

My gut always thought outside lanes better overall but can see the benefits of center lane.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

The Cityscene article referenced a potential transit hub on the SE corner of Main/Cleaver II. I wonder how long that Winstead's location will hold on - that property would be great for a larger mixed use development that included a transit hub and a counter-style upgrade of Winsteads.
cityscape
New York Life
New York Life

Post by cityscape »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:02 pm I was center running fan but the analysis makes me a believer
I agree. Now if we could get a better analysis on why the scalloped roof was dropped in favor of a flat roof design for the airport, I'll be a happy camper
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Not specified, but will this mean a new bridge over Brush Creek specifically for the streetcar? I think I remember before the flood control project the old streetcar bridge. Think there is room for the transit hub and Winsteads to remain but the bronze statue (Massasoit?) will have to move. He was moved once before with the removal of Main and extension of Brookside.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Not specified, but will this mean a new bridge over Brush Creek specifically for the streetcar? I think I remember before the flood control project the old streetcar bridge. Think there is room for the transit hub and Winsteads to remain but the bronze statue (Massasoit?) will have to move. He was moved once before with the removal of Main and extension of Brookside.
Strange question, but does anyone know where one can find images of this area prior to the new alignment of Main/Brookside? I've struggled to come up with anything in the past.

The KCATA lot next to Winsteads would appear to have the space for a small transit hub, it is completely underutilized as-is. That intersection (47th/Main) is just the worst; can't believe such a large, ugly, pedestrian unfriendly junction was designed on the edge of our "beloved Plaza", where a beautiful and functional connection to the Nelson and nearby residential should exist. Here's hoping for a major improvement with the streetcar.

I like the idea of the outside lane alignment, both for consistency with the existing system and general pedestrian friendliness. I do hope the much wider street allows for slightly faster travel, and of course my biggest hope is that the system remains fareless.

Extremely excited for the Union Station > UMKC stretch - will be a game changer for KC.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Sounds like the streetcar extension stops still not quite decided...

My suggestions..
- If 31st won't have a stop, place stop between 31st/Linwood
- Place 39th stop between 39th/Westport Rd
- 45th St stop maybe unnecessary?

Overall concerns that streetcar won't be 'express' enough. Ideally there would be an express bus from North Oak to Waldo mostly overlaying streetcar line stopping at RM, 12th, 18th, Union Station/CC, 31st, 39th/Westport, Plaza and UMKC. At least through Grand downtown if not Main entire stretch. Streetcar can then function well truly as local service rather than trying to be both commuter/local service.

flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

earthling wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:59 am Sounds like the streetcar extension stops still not quite decided...

My suggestions..
- Place 39th stop between 39th/Westport Rd
- 45th St stop maybe unnecessary?
I forget the reason given but I was sold on having 45th when I saw it, despite the short distances between.

Take MAX and turn it into an express bus that

The N. Oak segment could instead be true rapid service with a starting point at N Oak and Barry, heading east to 169, connecting to 234 at Englewood. Then follow Burlington towards Grand downtown replacing 201 south of 23rd in NKC. (201 transfers there and it turns around using Swift) Go through downtown on basically it's current route. Connect to the train at 3rd and 27th and then it doesn't stop again until Cleaver or UMKC. Take the time savings from all the stops skipped through midtown and extend the line full time to the south and maybe even go further south than 75th.
Last edited by flyingember on Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

earthling wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:59 am My suggestions..
I like this idea too. This would allow for an EW line to go on either Linwood or 31st with passengers walking half a block to the new station. Trains going EW would be separate from NS so as to not congest traffic. If trains will run in both lines, then the EW route needs to be decided now, either Linwood or 31st, and the station placed on the corner of the intersection.