OFFICIAL - Main Street Streetcar Extension

Transportation topics in KC
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Phase 2 streetcar to UMKC

Post by moderne »

My walking times were my experience. McGee does diagonal north-northwest so it does cut off 1 and 1/2 short blocks when you get to 27th st. Both routes have similar elevation change. If, as you say, that was your walk everyday you would have to go uphill either leaving or coming back. Still, filling Station is 1 block north of 31st and 3 blocks south of 27th.
Last edited by moderne on Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Yes, if you were avoiding hills, you would have to take Linwood to walk downhill. That would add 2 minutes to your walk over a 31st stop, the time to walk 1-1/2 blocks from Linwood to 31st.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Takes me longer than a minute to walk a block. Even more when waiting at a crossing for light or traffic to clear. If its only 1 and 1/2 blocks between 31st and Linwood, it feels like 2 blocks. There must be a terrace in there?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

moderne wrote:Takes me longer than a minute to walk a block. Even more when waiting at a crossing for light or traffic to clear. If its only 1 and 1/2 blocks between 31st and Linwood, it feels like 2 blocks. There must be a terrace in there?
Linwood angles towards 31st at Gillham.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

Wonderful, you have thoroughly investigated the use case scenario for a Filling Station employee or immediate neighbor. Now what about residents near 26th and Charlotte? 27th looks much more attractive than 31st or Linwood. What about the MAJOR draw of Liberty Memorial, WWI museum, and the surrounding park? You must walk uphill from Union Station or a half mile from 31st street? Those attractions alone will generate more pedestrian traffic than the mostly single family homes in the heart of Union Hill. Additionally, there are the roughly 400 Gallerie apartments under construction and potential for much more (second condo or apartment bldg fronting 27th St, phase 2 to the South of Gallerie, crown center selling two additional lots along south side of 27th for more multifamily and major office user). Crown center also has plans to develop their land north of 27th into more office, rumored condo tower, and more. More development sites have been listed on gillham at or near 27th Street. There are existing office uses at 27th Street as well. 27th Street has the potential to be busier and more needed than 31st or Linwood and should not be on a chopping block. It should be between 31st and Linwood only, and a mid-block stop serving both might be a good solution. Main Street will hopefully not be a busy traffic hellscape after the associated road diet. So any extra distance required to walk to a station should be more pleasant than today.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

This thread makes me very happy I'm not on any Union Hill neighborhood page. You guys all sound insufferable.

That said, I think I've come around to the union hill side on this.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

Alright scratch the whole thing. No streetcar for me, no streetcar for anyone!
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

JBmidtown wrote:Alright scratch the whole thing. No streetcar for me, no streetcar for anyone!
Moving it to Troost!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Timeline, presented yesterday to the Streetcar Authority board:

The Authority also authorized funds to continue the planning work (NEPA) beyond the current scope.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

2021 to 2023 is going to be fun around KC.....hurry up!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Well Dave posted this on Twitter but....basically every big bar in Westport (and Westport itself) giving money to smartKC. Do with that info what you will.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Why was Westport so against the expansion? I'd think getting people from downtown and the plaza there would be a goal. They just don't want to spend the money?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

They would have fought it even if it went down Broadway.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

Westport is trash
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Bars in an entertainment district against a public transportation plan is about as cynical and irresponsible as it gets. Yea, lets put more drunks out on the road.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

I don’t know. Seems pretty predictable. Businesses don’t want to pay more taxes...sorry, assessments. Big surprise. I think they’re penny wise and pound foolish, but I also don’t own a bar, or a business, and if I did, I sure as fuck wouldn’t run it like Bill Nigro, who’s about as big a turd as you could find, and this seems like the least offensive shit he’s orchestrated in memory.

I’m a lot more concerned with which council members he donates to.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

WoodDraw wrote:Why was Westport so against the expansion? I'd think getting people from downtown and the plaza there would be a goal. They just don't want to spend the money?
Don’t want the riff raf and downtown/plaza types from ruining the historic character of Westport.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

ldai_phs wrote:
WoodDraw wrote:Why was Westport so against the expansion? I'd think getting people from downtown and the plaza there would be a goal. They just don't want to spend the money?
Don’t want the riff raf and downtown/plaza types from ruining the historic character of Westport.
I was just going to say racism, but your answer is better
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

flyingember wrote:
ldai_phs wrote:
All construction before I moved into my neighborhood was good. The neighborhood became complete the day I moved in. Everything that has happened since then is unnatural. It only serves to destroy the historic character that dates back the full 7 months I've lived here.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

ldai_phs wrote:
flyingember wrote:
ldai_phs wrote: Don’t want the riff raf and downtown/plaza types from ruining the historic character of Westport.
All construction before I moved into my neighborhood was good. The neighborhood became complete the day I moved in. Everything that has happened since then is unnatural. It only serves to destroy the historic character that dates back the full 7 months I've lived here.
I think it's hysterical that it is just now that Westport is getting a review of historic buildings. It's among the oldest and most historic neighborhoods in the City, and suddenly it's a good idea! It should have been done back in the 1970s. For God's Sake, Historic KC used to have their office on Westport Road, and it never dawned on anyone to do a survey?

Wasn't there an article in the Business Journal or KC Star where the business owners along the streetcar line said their business boomed after the line opened?