OFFICIAL - Main Street Streetcar Extension

Transportation topics in KC
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Phase 2 streetcar to UMKC

Post by DaveKCMO »

moderne wrote:Why not Linwood and 31st both? No closer together than 43rd, 45th and Cleaver II.
Take the survey: http://kcstreetcar.org/feedback-survey/
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

moderne wrote:Why not Linwood and 31st both? No closer together than 43rd, 45th and Cleaver II.
What not just get rid of the 43rd street stop and call it fair? I’m not being flippant. Okeh, maybe a little.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

31 and Linwood are redundant.

43, 45, and Cleaver each provide unique access points to high traffic areas.
Darlene
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Darlene »

I do not like to look for a parking place. Is this going to take away some parking?
watcher64110
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by watcher64110 »

To be fair, it's not just about my personal investment. I think the Linwood stop has far less potential for the kind of development that is likely to attract pedestrians than 31st. As much as I hope for improvement there, if we think Linwood is going to easily become some kind of utopian new urban village anytime soon, I think we are kidding ourselves (new apartment building next to the car wash notwithstanding.) It's pretty brutal right there. I mean, if I lived over on Wyandotte/Central in Olde Hyde Park I could just walk to Armour. That's quite a nice walk.

For future development, 31st at least already has many developable vacant lots (many zoned residential) as far as Martini Corner, not to mention the overlay district all along there and also Union Hill design guidelines. It does have the potential for a real makeover that favors pedestrians. Unlike Linwood, there are no drive-throughs, gas stations or auto-oriented businesses to deal with along 31st, and Martini Corner and beyond is potentially much better served. That area is ready to become more pedestrian friendly already.

Perhaps the assumptions that we don't need both stops are false. They both rank highly in the "data". The hill compounds the distance between 27th and Linwood. Maybe a stop between 30th/31st would be appropriate in addition to Linwood, as it would be equidistant.

But If they really only want one stop, I would argue that Linwood and Armour stops are actually too close.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

watcher64110 wrote: The hill compounds the distance between 27th and Linwood. Maybe a stop between 30th/31st would be appropriate in addition to Linwood, as it would be equidistant.
This is a big part of the issue here with this being the only spot on the entire line that is proposed to run 2/3 of a mile in-between stops. "Experts" look at maps see it and go "oh, that's just 3 extra blocks to walk". But it's 3 extra blocks along a section of Main that is absolutely brutal to pedestrians.

Yes, the west side of Main at least has a nice wide sidewalk (for the most part) between 27th and Linwood. But it's steep, it's exposed, it's scorchingly hot in the summer, and the vehicular traffic has complete disdain for observing crosswalks. Then once you get south of 31st its Curb Cut City. I walk through here a few times a week and I tell you, each block walked in this stretch feels like 2-3 blocks anywhere else along Main.
mykn

Post by mykn »

Darlene wrote:I do not like to look for a parking place. Is this going to take away some parking?
There’s not much dedicated onstreet parking through midtown, so it shouldn’t, especially if it’s center running. Actually it will probably add a lot since the bus lane would probably go away.

That being said, this is a city, it’s job isn’t to make finding you a parking spot easy. That’s how we got the parking lot wasteland that we currently have.
Darlene
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Darlene »

I saw they are building new buildings on some parking lots downtown. Do you think there will be a problem finding parking down there? I am worried about even going down there now.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

Darlene wrote:I saw they are building new buildings on some parking lots downtown. Do you think there will be a problem finding parking down there? I am worried about even going down there now.
LOL, hardly the case. There are thousands upon thousands of spaces for you to choose from. In fact as I look at my window at 6th and Broadway I see plenty of empty spots.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

hartliss wrote:
Darlene wrote:I saw they are building new buildings on some parking lots downtown. Do you think there will be a problem finding parking down there? I am worried about even going down there now.
LOL, hardly the case. There are thousands upon thousands of spaces for you to choose from. In fact as I look at my window at 6th and Broadway I see plenty of empty spots.
I counted around 100,000 *public* spaces downtown about a year back and there's a net increase in parking since then.
Private spaces could be more numerous.

You may have to walk a few blocks or be willing to change modes. What's quickly not becoming assured is being able to move from lot to lot and park close for all destinations for a couple dollars or even free. The city market at peak use is already this way. One thing that should help is enforcement of time limits. Will open up a huge number of spots if people who sit at 1 hour spots for too long actually move.
Darlene
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Darlene »

I think your right. Maybe if they got more parking like at the plaza it would help. I really like being able to go down there and park for free, but I do not like garages and I wish they had more parking lots. I just feel safer. I once saw a movie about a woman being attacked in a parking garage and I have been scared of then since then.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I wonder how long it will take everyone to figure out they're being trolled. Literally every post has been bait.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

kboish wrote:I wonder how long it will take everyone to figure out they're being trolled. Literally every post has been bait.
Duuuuh. Probably someone from Reddit who has seen the posts from Dave and whoever has the KCrag name on there.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

kboish wrote:I wonder how long it will take everyone to figure out they're being trolled. Literally every post has been bait.
Russian Bot!
mykn

Post by mykn »

I felt bad calling it out right away so I just pm'ed a mod.

X - Keeps referring to Kansas
X - Not enough parking
X - Does anyone even ride the train
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

DaveKCMO wrote:
Russian Bot!
I figured they'd be trying to influence the streetcar election.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

watcher64110 wrote:To be fair, it's not just about my personal investment. I think the Linwood stop has far less potential for the kind of development that is likely to attract pedestrians than 31st.
I see your point but disagree. Linwood right now has many more opportunities for development along with those that are already being planned. There is the new building scheduled to be built south of the intersection, the ABC and building next to it, apartments less than a block to the west and old historic apartments next to Gates, the Salvation Army and a total change to the Midtown Marketplace. The auto dealership and post office lot has long been talked about by developers for a large development. 31st has the BofA building but it has been converted to a storage facility. There are some new apartment buildings that were recently redone further north but are closer to the Fed stop.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

The possibility hasn't gone unnoticed by the people you'd want/expect to notice this kind of thing and it's been under a bit of discussion. The situation is being loosely monitored, but honestly, if this person is a troll, it's got to be the most benign one we've ever seen here. Something more like bahua doing a subtle-but-elaborate belated April Fool's joke than, say, that guy I had to ban AGAIN a while ago.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

mean wrote:
The possibility hasn't gone unnoticed by the people you'd want/expect to notice this kind of thing and it's been under a bit of discussion. The situation is being loosely monitored, but honestly, if this person is a troll, it's got to be the most benign one we've ever seen here. Something more like bahua doing a subtle-but-elaborate belated April Fool's joke than, say, that guy I had to ban AGAIN a while ago.
I figured most people caught on, but I just was pointing it out so people didn't waste their time. Everyone was being so polite and accommodating regardless to the new "lady". We are so Midwestern!
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

I was waiting for her to find mgsports and fall in love.