OFFICIAL - Main Street Streetcar Extension

Transportation topics in KC
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Phase 2 streetcar to UMKC

Post by kcjak »

Saw this on KSHB last night, but missed the part about plans for a local grocery store at 40th/Main. Old Thriftway, maybe?

https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/po ... ain-street
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

flyingember wrote:Great tweet from Dave

https://twitter.com/kclightrail/status/ ... 34240?s=21

First off, what vote is happening by April 3? the last thing they want is for people against the train to think there’s a deadline on April 3 to vote by not telling people they must request a ballot. That there’s a municipal election on April 3 certainly won’t help them here. Bet a number of less savvy or interested voters will go to the polls and think the streetcar is on the ballot.

Secondly (and the big one). Who is they? I’m trying really hard to not make this be a classic racist or classist use of the term. What basic group could this word otherwise refer to? Tourists? People from JoCo?
"...dancers and artists.."

It's the new code.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

kcjak wrote:Saw this on KSHB last night, but missed the part about plans for a local grocery store at 40th/Main. Old Thriftway, maybe?

https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/po ... ain-street
There appears to be plans for two grocery stores. Exact Partners, who are redeveloping the Netherlands Hotel and Monarch Building, also plan to construct a new building on the vacant lot north of the Monarch Building, in which they hope to attract a grocery store and hotel. The grocery at 40th and Main appears to be a separate project.
Salzberg and his partner Caleb Buland also bought the Monarch building and the adjoining vacant lot to the north of the Netherlands.

The long term plan is to redevelop the Monarch building into residential and office space and to put a grocery store and boutique hotel on the vacant lot.

"We just applied for a potential project to do a grocery on the 20,000 feet of land with a hotel above,” said Salzberg.

Exact Architects is not the only development firm to notice the potential along Main Street.

Burnette (executive director of MainCor.) says a local grocery store is planned at 40th and Main Street.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Grocery density is a great sign for midtown. Means the neighborhood is seen as a sure thing with a stable population. I'm certain the streetcar helped but this is going to be more numbers driven.

I count 8 grocery stores in the northland in a physical area about the size of midtown so if things continue downtown and midtown (bleeding into surrounding areas for customers) should be able to support 10-15 grocery stores.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Tiger funding being trippled has to be good news for streetcar Phase 2 right?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

ldai_phs wrote:Tiger funding being trippled has to be good news for streetcar Phase 2 right?
Yes, but the really big news is that the Capital Investment Grant program was also increased. That's the program the Main Street Extension is targeting because the amounts are bigger (up to $100 million for "small starts" versus $25 million cap for each TIGER grant).

TIGER was targeted for the riverfront extension.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

http://passengertransport.apta.com/apta ... index.html
The Capital Investment Grants program saw an uptick in funding as well as directive language to ensure the future of the program, which was funded at $2.4 billion last year.
TIGER grants are set at $1.5 billion, and language explicitly mentions public transportation as one of the intended recipients. The grants were $500 million last year.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Did not see that coming. Most I'd of hoped for was spending at previous levels!
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Will the riverfront take another run at TIGER?
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

WoodDraw wrote:Will the riverfront take another run at TIGER?
It would be silly not to.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

JBmidtown wrote:
WoodDraw wrote:Will the riverfront take another run at TIGER?
It would be silly not to.
Would that require setting the project back by 1 year or more?

If it would require setting the project back, maybe that would provide time to negotiate with Isle of Capri for a farther expansion.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

My suggestion would be to self-fund the first riverfront leg and go for TIGER to extend to the Isle of Capri -- if the new ownership provides a match and promises to build a hotel on the surface lot.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

If funding for the federal programs continued to stay this high or continued to increase, would that make any other TDD streetcar expansions possible?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

ldai_phs wrote:If funding for the federal programs continued to stay this high or continued to increase, would that make any other TDD streetcar expansions possible?
Maybe NKC, but I doubt anywhere else would have the retail sales/property value to muster the 50% minimum match. Doing the NKC extension on Burlington (where it belongs) will probably get easier once we build a new O'Neil bridge and MoDOT becomes less concerned about HOA capacity.
miz.jordan17
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by miz.jordan17 »

I was back in town this past Saturday with my boyfriend and his family. They're from St. Louis, and his sister is going to UMKC for law school She was looking around at different apartments, and I think she settled on Crossroads Westside, but the family was impressed by the streetcar and the amount of activity in the city. Initially her mom was not sold on KC, due to her other son having a bad experience about ten years ago at Rockhurst and the area around the Paseo. Another comment they all made was, "There's so many places to park!" And they also commented on how easy it was to get around.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Not specific to Phase 2, but I did a little podcast interview that talks about the starter line, expansion, and (of course) my opinion about BBQ: https://www.thekansascitypodcast.com/ep ... vidjohnson
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Soooo wishing I had a paid subscription just for this article about the Trolley Track Trail and property dispute with one of our favorite lawyers! Recap, please!!

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... rs-on.html
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

ATA sued her regarding her fence that encroaches by about 40 feet into the Country Club ROW.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Interesting to note they have been trying to resolve with her for awhile.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

kcjak wrote:Soooo wishing I had a paid subscription just for this article about the Trolley Track Trail and property dispute with one of our favorite lawyers! Recap, please!!

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... rs-on.html
She also claims that the KCATA built the fence and that it has been around since 1989.