OFFICIAL - Main Street Streetcar Extension

Transportation topics in KC
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Phase 2 streetcar to UMKC

Post by kboish »

DaveKCMO wrote:
kboish wrote:Does anyone know how many people voted in the last election within the expanded TDD bounds?
you mean the april 4 municipal? i surprisingly do not have that information. KCEB charges for voter files. what question do you want to answer?
How many people vote in a typical election within the bounds of the expanded TDD (inclusive of the old TDD)- not necessarily the last election. I am mostly curious how the request for ballots for this vote is comparing to turnout for a typical election. I recognize it varies widely depending on the type of election. so I guess I'd be interested in comparing it to other traditionally low-turnout elections because I think the last bond issue (the largest in city history) was probably actually much higher than normal.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

DaveKCMO wrote:If I sent someone the precinct list would you calculate this for me? #exhausted
I would. I don't know that it's particularly meaningful or helpful given the nature of the election (except as an ex-post-facto arguing point), but I could certainly do that, if you'd like.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

flyingember wrote:it's a political subdivision of the state and a corporation, rsmo 238.010

"There is created the Kansas City Area Transportation Authority of the Kansas City Area Transportation District (hereinafter referred to as the "Authority"), which shall be a body corporate and politic and a political subdivision of the States of Missouri and Kansas."
As I said earlier the KCATA is more like a private company instead of a government entity. That does not mean it is entirely a private company, it is more like a hybrid between a private company and a government entity. And as I also said earlier I don't remember what argument was made that made that distinction. One point could be that the KCATA does not have the power of taxation, " The Authority is authorized and directed to proceed to carry out its duties, functions and powers in accordance with the articles of this compact as rapidly as may be economically practicable and is vested with all necessary and appropriate powers not inconsistent with the Constitution or the Laws of the United States or of either State, to effectuate the same, except the power to levy taxes or assessments."
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

The authority has a similar ability to the city on taxation. It can partner with a similar agency and propose a TDD tax that goes to a vote.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

2,544 mail-in ballot applications received as of yesterday. proposals for the technical work were due may 2.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

flyingember wrote:The authority has a similar ability to the city on taxation. It can partner with a similar agency and propose a TDD tax that goes to a vote.
The TDD becomes the taxing authority, not the KCATA though.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

Biked along the Trolley Trail yesterday. Not only is she really the only super-obvious encroachment, there's also a no trespassing sign that few people have along there...
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

longviewmo wrote:Biked along the Trolley Trail yesterday. Not only is she really the only super-obvious encroachment, there's also a no trespassing sign that few people have along there...
"Get off my stolen yard!"
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

http://kcur.org/post/what-do-you-know-a ... s-are-mail

This KCUR article says there are about 30,000 registered voters in the TDD. If thats true,then we are getting close to 10% "turnout" for requested ballots within the district (acknowledging the fact that those people still have to actually mail-in another ballot to vote).

According to this KC elections board site, that is about on par with past special elections and close to our last Mayoral election (which had a historically low turnout).
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

the number will never be high enough for some people.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

swid wrote:
pash wrote:I still can't believe that nobody in the local press has reported on DeJanes's squatting in KCATA's right of way, nor that the pro-streetcar side are failing to make it known that their most noisome opponent is literally leading a political campaign to protect her commandeering of public property for her own use.
Oh, someday, I suppose that someone will stumble upon the collective oddities of 39.015224, -94.590256, the KCATA ROW, and the adjacent parcel owner and decide that others might want to know.
I'm confused. Why haven't her illegal additions to the back of her property which extend into the public domain (If I read that correctly) been simply bulldozed by now?

Why don't we just stage a sit-in on her illegal little chunk of heaven?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

41 reports 3,249 applications have been received (just over 10% of voters in the district): http://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/you ... n-answered
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

DaveKCMO wrote:the number will never be high enough for some people.
I'm one of them.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

chingon wrote:
I'm one of them.
I don't disagree with some threshold on principle.
In practice, we don't live in a dictatorship and voting isn't mandatory.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

chingon wrote:
I'm one of them.
In what respect? As in voters are lazy and need to get out and vote OR as in there is some problem with mail-in votes?
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Why don't we just stage a sit-in on her illegal little chunk of heaven?
This would be hilarious. And awesome. While I understand that there is little to be won for the city/KCATA in fighting her on this, I'm kind of with Pash that I wish it was at least acknowledged and mocked in the public realm.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Yes, individual citizen twitter users should mock away!
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Would be interesting to see how she would respond if someone got hurt on that property and tried to sue her for damages.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

kboish wrote:
chingon wrote:
I'm one of them.
In what respect? As in voters are lazy and need to get out and vote OR as in there is some problem with mail-in votes?
In the respect that the more people who vote, the more likely it is to pass.

Also, there is a problem with the mail-in voting process. I understand that that is in no way the RTA's fault, and moreover I am a supported of mail-in balloting (for all elections). But the step of the process which requires voters to "request" a ballot does stick in my craw. The elections board should mail ballots to all qualified voters registered in the district. Full fucking stop.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

chingon wrote:
kboish wrote:
chingon wrote:
I'm one of them.
In the respect that the more people who vote, the more likely it is to pass.

Also, there is a problem with the mail-in voting process. I understand that that is in no way the RTA's fault, and moreover I am a supported of mail-in balloting (for all elections). But the step of the process which requires voters to "request" a ballot does stick in my craw. The elections board should mail ballots to all qualified voters registered in the district. Full fucking stop.
I get you. and I agree on all accounts.