River Market to Cliff Drive Bike Connection

Transportation topics in KC
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: River Market to Cliff Drive Bike Connection

Post by Midtownkid »

The connector is awesome! It is a little hard to find as It starts in a weird spot, deep in the projects.

The trail is really well landscaped and there are artifacts from the city's past everywhere. The ground it littered with pulverized bricks. There were salvaged architectural elements near the treeline. I saw a marble cornice with egg and dart molding and a giant carved medallion.

I wonder if that hillside was once a dumping ground for the gilded-age mansions that didn't make it through the last century??
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Wow, that sounds cool!

I agree the CP entrance is a bit sketchy, would be nice to get some streetscaping out that direction to attract users.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Midtownkid wrote: I wonder if that hillside was once a dumping ground for the gilded-age mansions that didn't make it through the last century??
It was common to use old buildings as fill in the past so you're probably right.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Checked out the Cliff Drive Connector this evening. Really nice to be able to move quickly and easily from City Market to Cliff Drive and beyond. It's a pretty stiff grade coming up the bluff but the path is nice and wide, and runs through an attractive, densely wooded area that would surely have been inaccessible if not for the trail. Could definitely use better signage within Columbus Park, particularly around the trailhead area, which is essentially unmarked under I-35.

Rode to the end of Cliff Dive and was reminded what an underused asset it is. Nice to see the new stairways, rock climbing area, etc. Kudos Northeast!
TrolliKC
Supporter

Post by TrolliKC »

Agree with the urban trails. Highly recommend the 4.5 miles of Rozarks Trail in Rosedale (between 39th and SW Boulevard)
http://rosedale.org/recreational-trails/