Ambassador

Re: Bike Lanes

Post by KCPowercat »

Is this now to the standard?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:55 am Is this now to the standard?
Not until Jolie is elected. :-)

My recollection is that the city did not want to do much more than their standard fare at the time (maybe a paint buffer, but certainly not protected) and advocates and neighborhood people wanted a safer design. To try and please everyone, they added more on-street parking than their own standards allow and that created the sight line issues. As I've pointed out on Twitter, these sight line issues in the name of more on-street parking capacity occur all over the city and are not unique to Armour.

The addition of delineators is interesting, as they are an inexpensive way to reduce bike lane blockages. But in the case of Paseo bike lanes, Parks told the city they could not add anything vertical because the Paseo is historic.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Sorry I meant is the setback now the distance the national standards call for.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Painted bike lanes just replaced sharrows on this downtown segment of Charlotte Street:

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

New bike lanes on Armour Road in North Kansas City:

kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

DaveKCMO wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:09 pm New bike lanes on Armour Road in North Kansas City:

WOAH! It's like we're in Amsterdam! Now if we could only build bus-only sections for BRT...
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Is NKC going to connect Armour Bike Lanes underneath I-35 to the new development on the east side of I-35 (which contains a cycle track btw)?
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

kboish wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:36 am Is NKC going to connect Armour Bike Lanes underneath I-35 to the new development on the east side of I-35 (which contains a cycle track btw)?
I didn't know about the cycle track, but I've ridden over there and it is very dangerous.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

kboish wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:36 am Is NKC going to connect Armour Bike Lanes underneath I-35 to the new development on the east side of I-35 (which contains a cycle track btw)?
I understood the plan to be prioritizing 16th street as the method for getting under I-29. That said, I've also heard that industrial interests along 16th are certain that somehow there is no room for bikes on that street. :roll:
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Yea, there is a cycle track in the development under construction on the east side of 35. The safest current way to get there (coming from the HOA Bridge) is to take Swift to 16th street then head under I-35. That dumps you right onto the cycle track. It would be the best, most contiguous on-street bicycling infrastructure on the MO side if they connect it all the way to Armour.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

kboish wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:13 am Yea, there is a cycle track in the development under construction on the east side of 35. The safest current way to get there (coming from the HOA Bridge) is to take Swift to 16th street then head under I-35. That dumps you right onto the cycle track. It would be the best, most contiguous on-street bicycling infrastructure on the MO side if they connect it all the way to Armour.
16th St is the formal truck route so be prepared to be passed by semi trucks.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

I don't understand how they come up with some of the bike routes. There are tons of streets, most of them in fact, in NKC that have almost no traffic and they put the bike route on Swift, which has angled parking. Going out on a limb, it is possibly the most dangerous road to bike on, besides parts of Armour, in NKC. I stay off of it always, as well as 16th. I ride through NKC from the rarely-cleaned ped. path of the HOA and on only side streetsat least a few times a week and encounter very few cars.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

There are a lot of poor decisions made in KC with bike paths, such as putting a main one through downtown along Grand, which has among highest bus traffic. I use Walnut. Doesn't seem decisions are made by cyclists, or if so they live on risky edge.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

earthling wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:39 pm There are a lot of poor decisions made in KC with bike paths, such as putting a main one through downtown along Grand, which has among highest bus traffic. I use Walnut. Doesn't seem decisions are made by cyclists, or if so they live on risky edge.
Grand is wider and they clearly wanted to add bike lanes without removing parking. I bet that played a bigger part than where busses ran.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

taxi wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:35 pm I don't understand how they come up with some of the bike routes. There are tons of streets, most of them in fact, in NKC that have almost no traffic and they put the bike route on Swift, which has angled parking. Going out on a limb, it is possibly the most dangerous road to bike on, besides parts of Armour, in NKC. I stay off of it always, as well as 16th. I ride through NKC from the rarely-cleaned ped. path of the HOA and on only side streetsat least a few times a week and encounter very few cars.
There's only three street west of I-35 you can get from 10th to 32nd without zigzagging all over the place.

Swift is a 5 lane wide road most of it. Ignore the angled parking and imagine middle running bike lanes. It's plenty wide to add dedicated lanes the entire length by removing the left turn lanes

Burlington is getting the cycle track

Nothing else N-S is contiguous except for Howell and it's far more industrial than the other two south of Armour.

Armour has 100x as many neighborhood level destinations than any other street in NKC so it makes sense for E-W
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

flyingember wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:47 pm
earthling wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:39 pm There are a lot of poor decisions made in KC with bike paths, such as putting a main one through downtown along Grand, which has among highest bus traffic. I use Walnut. Doesn't seem decisions are made by cyclists, or if so they live on risky edge.
Grand is wider and they clearly wanted to add bike lanes without removing parking. I bet that played a bigger part than where busses ran.
And that's a poor decision to not factor bus traffic as a bigger factor.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

earthling wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:08 pm
flyingember wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:47 pm
And that's a poor decision to not factor bus traffic as a bigger factor.
The current configuration on Grand is temporary, or at least that is the goal.The next iteration will have fully protected lanes which will be separated from traffic...or at least that is the goal.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

There's a regional MARC funding submission for this project as I recall
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

I used Grand all the time.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^And statistically speaking you have a higher chance of being crushed to death on a road that has a dozen bus lines vs Walnut that has maybe 1 line and fewer cars. :)

You ride the bus too and know there are some drivers who behave like they've got the bigger vehicle so expect everyone else to be defensive as they don't have to be.