Bike Lanes

Transportation topics in KC
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Bike Lanes

Post by kboish »

rxlexi wrote:
Drove paseo this week and imagined how cool a bike track would be ...be like a bike superhighway to anywhere I would ever want to go on a bike.
This is actually an awesome idea. At least, the kind of thinking that I'd like to see applied to the east side.

Paseo is beautiful, wide enough that you could place a spacious paved path right down the center median, has the aforementioned gradual slope, and with the right infrastructure (lighting, hub facilities) could be a destination cycling/walking corridor. It connects with the Brush Creek paved path, Swope Park via Meyer and runs close to Rockhurst and Plaza. Could rename MLK Cultural Trail and connect with civil rights history in some way.

Thinking the Indy Cultural Trail as an example, but median running rather than then street.

As a bonus, perhaps sadly, it would probably be significantly easier to make some dramatic changes to the character of the boulevard because it IS Paseo, and not Ward Parkway or similar.
In case you are not aware, Paseo is currently in the planning stages for just this type of bikeway.
http://kcmo.gov/publicworks/bikekc/projects/

From what I have heard, church leaders in the area along the Paseo are opposed to such a project.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Also, note that Armour will be thermo plastic when done. The current striping is temporary AFAIK.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

In case you are not aware, Paseo is currently in the planning stages for just this type of bikeway.
http://kcmo.gov/publicworks/bikekc/projects/

From what I have heard, church leaders in the area along the Paseo are opposed to such a project.
I was not aware, thanks for the link.

However, that sounds like painted on-street bike lanes, basically. I'm imagining something completely off-street, running down the median, with the infrastructure investment necessary to make it a popular destination (signage, lighting, etc.). Glad it is being discussed and planned, however, it's a great bike route to popularize.

RE: the "church leaders" - #-o unsurprising I suppose.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

IIRC there's federal money for bike infra on Paseo. I can't remember where that project is in the planning phases. And an upcoming streetscape plan will call for protected bike lanes on Troost from Linwood-Cleaver or so.

The full striping on Armour has to wait a week for the resurfacing to fully cure. If you paint too soon, the oils in the new asphalt will pop it off. Or so I'm told.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

On another cycling related topic - has anyone heard the latest on the Rock Island trail from sports complex out toward the Katy?

We're getting very close to finally have the full-length, cross state Katy Trail that was envisioned years ago - hoping that final piece is still moving forward smoothly.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Yep. they cleared the trees from Lee's Summit to Southern Raytown (Phase 1) in February, Got it graded last week. That part connects it to the Little Blue Valley system. Supposed to open in December.

Not sure when the Raytown to TSC is supposed to be done.

https://www.facebook.com/KCRRC/
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

I drove down Armour today and already saw 5 cars parked in the bike lanes. Because Kansas City just has to Kansas City.
mykn

Post by mykn »

Someone moved one of the orange cone things into the bike lane so they could park illegally. I moved it but damn those things are heavy.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

moving construction cones/signs out of the way has become a bit of a passion of mine
mykn

Post by mykn »

I should have placed it on the trunk of their car
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

JBmidtown wrote:I drove down Armour today and already saw 5 cars parked in the bike lanes. Because Kansas City just has to Kansas City.
Every time this happens it just reinforces protected bike lanes, bollards and such as the right choice during the planning stage on future changes.

Report problem spots, it helps.
http://kcmo.gov/police/traffic-complaints/
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

JBmidtown wrote:I drove down Armour today and already saw 5 cars parked in the bike lanes. Because Kansas City just has to Kansas City.
Yeah, this happens no where else in America.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Looks like there are posts prepped for signage, not yet complete. And will they paint bicycle symbols in the lanes? Would help.
bspecht
New York Life
New York Life

Post by bspecht »

earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

That should do it. Suppose we shouldn't judge til complete.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Are they planning on updating the lights along Armour too? Gillham intersection turning to north and south desperately need turn signals. The east-west traffic on Armour is definitely growing and turning to DT or south is difficult at certain times of day. Gillham already has signals when turning east or west.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Richmond VA last night:

JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

DaveKCMO wrote:
Richmond VA last night:

RVA and KCMO are eerily similar cities. I remember noticing a lot of doppelgängers to Kansas Citians when I was there on tour back in the summer of 2014.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

chingon wrote:
Yeah, this happens no where else in America.
I know, that’s what I said
benjaminkelley
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by benjaminkelley »

I've been down Armour a couple of times since last week and noticed the parked cars mostly within the lines. A few hanging over but not totally obstructing. I'm surprised everyone has done so well considering the lack of signage.