Zipcar

Transportation topics in KC
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Private Car Share

Post by trailerkid »

mean wrote: Unfortunately, the vast majority of UMKC students have historically driven to school. Not sure that's the best testbed.
If they have it at ASU in freaking Tucson it'd work at UMKC next to the Plaza/Midtown.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

SamPierron wrote: staubio, I'm in if I wind up moving to RM. I'll need a car two or three days/wk max.
Sounds like we've got a deal here.

Just went to take the car in to replace a cracked radiator that I'm finally going to fix. It last moved July 4th. The battery was too dead to turn it over, so I guess I'll get back to it later.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Correction to my earlier post. When I said Hertz I meant WeCar. WeCar is owned by Enterprise Holdings.
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

Rather off-topic, but I've seen articles about bike share.  Go to the pick up location, ride to destination, leave it and pick up another one when you want to return.  I don't understand how they keep the bikes from being stolen, but apparently it works in some cities.
slimwhitman
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by slimwhitman »

mlind wrote: Rather off-topic, but I've seen articles about bike share.  Go to the pick up location, ride to destination, leave it and pick up another one when you want to return.  I don't understand how they keep the bikes from being stolen, but apparently it works in some cities.
And it seems that shared cars would get stolen as well.  When you don't "own" it, you are more careless with it.  I would think this system would be difficult to regulate if there is no one being payed to monitor the use of the car(s).  Who cleans it?  Who pays for gas?  Who manages the regular repairs/tune-up work that needs done?  How do you monitor abuse/damage to the car?

When your friend borrows your car, he knows he has to answer to you when he bangs it up or leaves rotten produce behind the seat.  The users of this program would be more apt to be careless with the vehicle.  Not everyone...but there are always a few that muck up up for everyone else.  Without some sort of check-in proceedure, how do you know who is the culprit?...so you can warn them, then kick them out of the co-op when they continue to abuse the system?   
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

mlind wrote: Rather off-topic, but I've seen articles about bike share.  Go to the pick up location, ride to destination, leave it and pick up another one when you want to return.  I don't understand how they keep the bikes from being stolen, but apparently it works in some cities.
They tried this on KU's campus about 5 years ago, but the bikes kept getting stolen, so I don't think they do it anymore.
mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

slimwhitman wrote: And it seems that shared cars would get stolen as well.  When you don't "own" it, you are more careless with it.  I would think this system would be difficult to regulate if there is no one being payed to monitor the use of the car(s).  Who cleans it?  Who pays for gas?  Who manages the regular repairs/tune-up work that needs done?  How do you monitor abuse/damage to the car?

When your friend borrows your car, he knows he has to answer to you when he bangs it up or leaves rotten produce behind the seat.  The users of this program would be more apt to be careless with the vehicle.  Not everyone...but there are always a few that muck up up for everyone else.  Without some sort of check-in proceedure, how do you know who is the culprit?...so you can warn them, then kick them out of the co-op when they continue to abuse the system?     
Stealing the car would be difficult unless you get it painted.  The ZIP cars have the logo on the side.  I know that my daughter uses a similar company in London.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

kcmetro wrote: They tried this on KU's campus about 5 years ago, but the bikes kept getting stolen, so I don't think they do it anymore.
They have this in Vienna.  You have to pay a machine money for the bike to come unlocked.  They make the machines like a red box, and you have to have an account where you have some sort of either deposit or billing method.  It was a pretty terrific system from what I could tell not using it, and many people used it. 

http://www.wien.gv.at/english/leisure/bike/

They also had a subway, a street tram/car, dedicated bike sidewalks, parking lanes, buses, and extra wide sidewalks to boot.  Tickets worked for all forms of transportation and could be purchased all over.  They have 53% ridership of public transport to work.  It was probably the best overall transportation system I've seen in any town (I was only there for 24 hours, though), and its metro is just barely bigger than KC's.
slimwhitman
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by slimwhitman »

mlind wrote: Stealing the car would be difficult unless you get it painted.  The ZIP cars have the logo on the side.  I know that my daughter uses a similar company in London.
But going back to the original question, if a group of folks bought a car together and shared it, they probably would NOT give it some silly custom paint.  It just seems that people are more careful to lock/protect thier own car that some communal car that they have less personal interest in preserving.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

obviously there is additional risk.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

trailerkid wrote: If they have it at ASU in freaking Tucson it'd work at UMKC next to the Plaza/Midtown.
I think KCAI would be a pretty good pilot project since they are less of a commuter oriented campus
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

trailerkid wrote: If they have it at ASU in freaking Tucson it'd work at UMKC next to the Plaza/Midtown.
UofA is in Tucson - ASU is in Phoenix. 
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

blackbird
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by blackbird »

http://www.getaround.com/

Sign up.  The more people in an area that sign up, the higher chance they'll come here.
mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

Start-up backed by Google starts car share in San Francisco.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 1GQ05A.DTL
kclofter
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kclofter »

blackbird wrote: http://www.getaround.com/

Sign up.  The more people in an area that sign up, the higher chance they'll come here.
Cool idea in theory.  However, I think the Tesla owner [or anyone with a highly desirable car] would like to recoup more than $6/h renting it out to strangers.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah you could use them but not really offering the protection and setup of a service specifically meant for car sharing.

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

How did this slip under our radar....ZipCar here next week?

http://www.nbcactionnews.com//dpp/news/ ... round-town