KCATA Comprehensive Service Analysis

Transportation topics in KC
enough
Colonnade
Colonnade

KCATA Comprehensive Service Analysis

Post by enough »

kcata is in the final stages of its "comprehensive service analysis" of all kcmo routes, and has posted recommendations for route changes on its website.
http://www.kcata.org/maps_schedules/proposed_changes/
comments are currently being accepted.

in anticipation that there will be enough interest in this issue to warrant a separate thread, following are relevant posts from the "generic ongoing kcata thread."

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
enough - fri, feb 11, 2011, 11:42 pm

transit action network has posted a report on its blog regarding the january 26 meeting of the kcata board of commissioners. ...

the report also has a link to a 20-slide report on the comprehensive service analysis that kcata is having done to help them improve route structure and service.
http://bit.ly/fEppJB ...

xorg - fri, sep 2, 2011, 6:55 pm

Proposed Average MAX Orange Headways Plaza to RM...
Weekday
AM Peak 10 minutes
Midday 10 (from 15)
PM Peak 10
Evening 15 (from 30)

Saturday 15
Sunday 30

There are really only 2 changes but it does help. Was hoping for Sunday having 15 min all day long. The buses get pretty crowded on Sundays now, so is worth doing 15 as 30 min is also too long of a wait. The ATA needs to straighten out MAX downtown before getting rid of the 57 line. MAX takes much too long to get from Plaza to RM.

enough - tue, sep 6, 2011, 8:01 pm

kcata has posted route-by-route recommendations for service changes from its comprehensive service analysis:
http://www.kcata.org/maps_schedules/proposed_changes/
an analysis for each route is available and comments can be posted via online form or email, or in writing or by phone.

of particular interest to people on this forum is the recommendation to combine main street max with route 57. this would even out service and eliminate the problem of max and 57 occasionally following each other at very close intervals. with that combination, max frequencies would be improved to every 10 minutes throughout the day. on the down side, service would no longer be provided to intermediate stops between crown center and the plaza. i didn't see any recommendations for changing the max alignment downtown. nor did i see a recommendation for extending max short trips to 51st to better serve umkc.

with the elimination of 57, route 156 would be extended northward from waldo to the plaza along the 57 alignment, thereby connecting red bridge and the plaza with a single-seat ride.

i haven't looked at other routes yet, but based on the nelson/nygaard presentation to the kcata board two weeks ago, i know there are interesting (and controversial) recommendations for many of the other routes.

gentlemen (and ladies), start your comment-writing engines.

davekcmo - wed, sep 7, 2011, 2:47 pm

those sound like good changes to me!
smh
Supporter

Re: KCATA Comprehensive Service Analysis

Post by smh »

Why all the new threads today?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Really like the 129 changes. Main max would be nice improvements...51 still confuses me. Are we getting rid of the 5 different route variations? That drives me nuts on that route.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

the second phase of the CSA will take up downtown routing, which KCATA admits is a mess (especially for downtown users). councilman johnson wants the streetcar funding question resolved before they move forward with bus rerouting. ideally, north/south 24-hour bus lanes would move to grand (from the current main/walnut split) and 11th/12th.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

It really seems like Russ Johnson "gets it" as far as transportation issues in our city. I've never really spoken with him before so my opinion is all based on second hand, but I feel like he is a good person to have in charge of the transportation committee.

It certainly remains to be seen if he has the ability to follow through on a lot of the things he has simmering, but at least it appears to be going in the right direction and he also appears to have minimal obstacles (politically at least) to enacting them.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

agreed. the temporary shuffling before funk left office -- where johnson was replaced by, ahem, terry riley -- was a disaster.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

was reviewing route changes yesterday and noticed that zona rosa will finally be served DAILY by an upgraded #142! ZR has no direct transit service today, despite being the northland's #1 attraction outside of KCI.

http://www.kcata.org/documents/uploads/142Proposal.pdf
enough
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by enough »

we should consider these changes to be just recommendations from the consultant. there's no telling how many of them kcata will implement, or how many they'll be able to implement during 2012. expect public meetings in the affected areas before any significant changes are made.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

apparently, not many comments on straightening the Main Street MAX through downtown... even though it was mentioned as a flaw in that route. please please please leave a comment online and ask for this!

http://www.kcata.org/metro2012
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

Thanks for the reminder, just did it.
enough
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by enough »

i have attended a couple of the forums. the presentation by the study consultant is highly informative, and kcata has plenty of staff on hand to talk with people one-to-one.

remaining forums are:
+ Tuesday, Nov. 15, 4 to 6:30 p.m., Northeast Branch KC Library, 6000 Wilson
+ Wednesday, Nov. 16, 4 to 6:30 p.m., Watkins Cultural Heritage Center, 3700 Blue Parkway
+ Thursday, Nov. 17, 4 to 6:30 p.m., Canaan Worship Center, 5333 Bannister Rd., Fellowship Hall
+ Saturday, Nov. 19, 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. KCATA, 1200 E. 18th St., Breen Building, Lobby

changes would begin in april, 2012, and be phased in quarterly throughout the year.

btw, transit action network has reported on a rider campaign to keep route 142 going to crown center. the consultant recommendation was to end the route at downtown. on thursday they tweeted:
Sometimes @KCATAMetro public meetings are actually fun, especially when the #Occupy142 folks show up. http://bit.ly/t9oPej
enough
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by enough »

during tonight's meeting at the northeast library there was a side discussion involving kcata staff and the consultant about straightening out max downtown, and also extending the plaza loop to 51st street in order to better serve umkc. we should strongly support both.
enough
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by enough »

kcata has completed its seven public forums on proposed service changes but they will continue to accept email and other comments through the end of the year. first actual service changes will take place at the beginning of april, 2012.

as i think i said before, kcata people are really in listening mode. even the consultant they hired to make the recommendations is completely open to further input.

bottom line: if there's some change that you really want / really don't want to happen, continue to send in those comments.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

the star's brad cooper reports via twitter that KCATA received 700 comments about their service changes.
enough
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by enough »

changes to three kcata routes took effect this week.

kcata has announced that 21 routes will change in july:
http://www.kcata.org/rider_bulletins/me ... able_in_a/

perhaps of greatest interest is increased frequency for main street max.

preliminary schedules for some routes are already available, and others will be available shortly. in addition to online, information will be available at selected libraries and public buildings.

changes on service to the airport and other northland routes is being delayed until after the north broadway extension is re-opened following reconstruction of retaining walls.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

The consolidation of the RedBridge and South Oak routes with a northern terminus at the plaza is smart.
enough
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by enough »

both max lines and 20 other ata routes will change on july 1. see schedule of all changes here:
http://www.kcata.org/maps_schedules/met ... _schedule/

additional route changes will take effect on october 1. northland routes will change january 1 after north broadway reconstruction work is completed.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

90% of these changes seem efficient, intuitive and convenient. I feel pretty optimistic about the ATA right now and how much they're doing with so little $.

14% ridership increase this year so far (2nd highest in the nation), and it seems like these urban core reroutings could boost that figure even more. Think of what they could do if they were funded on the level of a normal metro bus system.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

chingon wrote:90% of these changes seem efficient, intuitive and convenient. I feel pretty optimistic about the ATA right now and how much they're doing with so little $.

14% ridership increase this year so far (2nd highest in the nation), and it seems like these urban core reroutings could boost that figure even more. Think of what they could do if they were funded on the level of a normal metro bus system.
Changes such as these will do wonders for how people view KC's transportation options. There has been a Catch-22 in the past of nobody rides the bus because it doesn't run frequently enough, and the bus doesn't run frequently enough because ridership is too low. Moving the MAX from 15 to 10, and from 30 to 15 minutes during peak and off-peak hours respectively will be an amazing difference. Planning for a later night trip that far ahead is generally not very fun or convenient when out on the town, but being able to rely on consistent service completely changes things. Great news!
enough
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by enough »

it looks like the major changes to 20-plus routes that took effect july 1 have been relatively uneventful.

a lot of schedule posters out on the street were late getting updated, and some are still just temporary posters.

there have been some complaints about the smaller buses on route 28, but that will work itself out as the ata deploys some bigger buses where needed.