Hannibal Bridge

Transportation topics in KC
scooterj
Ambassador

Hannibal Bridge

Post by scooterj »

I read in the paper this morning that because the Missouri River is at a record low right now (for a very limited time, water has been released upstream and will be here soon), ruins of the original Hannibal Bridge are now exposed for the first time since that bridge stood.

I went down over lunch and took the following photos. Very little to see, but it might interest a couple of die-hard bridge or history buffs.

bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Hannibal Bridge

Post by bahua »

I think that is great. Nice catch!
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

uhh i thought there was still a hannibal bridge (middle got torn down so I thought the Hannibal Bridge by broadway bridge was it just redone)
Where is it? (I'm glad the bridge is still there, not in some scrap pile in god knows where)
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

KCDevin wrote:uhh i thought there was still a hannibal bridge (middle got torn down so I thought the Hannibal Bridge by broadway bridge was it just redone)
Where is it? (I'm glad the bridge is still there, not in some scrap pile in god knows where)

The original bridge was completed in 1869 and used until 1915. In 1886 it was hit by a tornado (the same tornado that damaged/destroyed some of the original buildings in what is now the River Market) but was repaired and put back to use:

In 1915 the bridge was replaced by the structure we see today and the original was torn down.

What you see in the pictures at the start of this thread is a little bit of rubble of one of the supports seen in the tornado photo above. My guess is probably the 4th one from the left.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

so what did they do with the rest of the bridge? leave it or what?
also, itd be cool to have another rail bridge which would look exactly like the Hannibal.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

KCDevin wrote:so what did they do with the rest of the bridge? leave it or what?
I'm lost...
scooterj wrote:the original was torn down

Oh, I think I see what's tripping you up. The bridge was repaired right after the 1886 tornado and put back in operation. It was used for almost another 30 years, then torn down in 1915 after the replacement we see today was built alongside it.

The tornado was not why the original was torn down, I just threw that in as an interesting tidbit.
enough
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by enough »

the swing span of the hannibal bridge was open when i went past about 1:00 pm today, and closed again when i saw it about 2:30.  don't know if this was for river traffic or just part of routine maintenance.  anybody know how often they open the span to accommodate river traffic?
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Damn, jealous I didn't get to see it!
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

enough wrote: the swing span of the hannibal bridge was open when i went past about 1:00 pm today, and closed again when i saw it about 2:30.  don't know if this was for river traffic or just part of routine maintenance.  anybody know how often they open the span to accommodate river traffic?
I know they are supposed to be bringing up some world record breaking, monster tower/barge crane for the Bond bridge.  
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: I know they are supposed to be bringing up some world record breaking, monster tower/barge crane for the Bond bridge. 
that should have arrived last week and come from the east, stopping at THE PASEO BRIDGE (a'hem..).  ;)

who knows, maybe the barge kept going.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

kard wrote: who knows, maybe the barge kept going.
Perhaps it had to turn around up river or something?  Seems a big coincidence that the once in a rare moon bridge opening would occurr at roughly the same time this river monster is supposed to show up. 
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

Too bad they haven't invented something like a camera that can take pictures to keep moments like this forever  :?

I miss Toss at times like these!
If you're not on the EDGE, you're taking up TOO MUCH ROOM!
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

enough, you need to looking into this new thing called cellular telephony, especially now that the devices include photographic capabilities.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Perhaps they were just making sure the old lady still works?  Does nobody here go by the Paseo Bridge...the barge and massive crane have been parked along the eastern side for a few days already.
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The crane is up and working.
Jeff
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Jeff »

Worthless trivia: The Hannibal Bridge is operated by a 7 horsepower electric motor.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Jeff wrote: Worthless trivia: The Hannibal Bridge is operated by a 7 horsepower electric motor.
Worthless, perhaps...

but Intersting...Yes!

WOW!
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Jeff wrote: Worthless trivia: The Hannibal Bridge is operated by a 7 horsepower electric motor.
That is the kinda info that keeps me coming back to this forum.  Thanks Jeff!
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

I just spotted a weird anomaly in Google Maps. Apparently, when the Hannibal Bridge rotates, large portions of it break off and sink in the river.

teclis
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by teclis »

Awesome, I go across that everyday. I can't wait for my 19,000 ton train to fall in! Here is a fun fact...after each time the bridge closes, someone has to go out with a hammer to get the tracks to line back up.