KC Bike share

Transportation topics in KC
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: KC Bike share

Post by DaveKCMO »

new stations coming as part of the paseo gateway project.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Any indication of increased bike rentals along streetcar line?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

earthling wrote:Any indication of increased bike rentals along streetcar line?
they said friday and saturday were both in the "top 10 days of all time". 60% of those trips were to/from stations on or very close to streetcar.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

I anecdotally saw more riders than ever on Saturday so not surprised. Good news.

Separately, River Market West really could use a station BTW. Is there an RMW association that could maybe sponsor one?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

earthling wrote:I anecdotally saw more riders than ever on Saturday so not surprised. Good news.

Separately, River Market West really could use a station BTW. Is there an RMW association that could maybe sponsor one?
you would think developers and property managers would be all over having a bike share kiosk, but they're not.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

pash wrote:Most of them can't even be bothered to put in a $100 bike rack.
Luckily it's mandatory in Kansas City with any new project and I believe any notable renovation. A tiny change that will have such a big impact on bikability. There's bike racks at tire stores now.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

From my office in Midtown I saw a very noticeable uptick of B-Cycle users heading back and forth on Main last Friday, presumably for the streetcar opening.

In addition to the much-requested River Market West, the system really needs: Columbus Park, West Side (near Blue Bird, near Taqueria Mexico or Boulevard Brewey, near Ponak's), North Kansas City (the park at the north end of the HOA, 18th & Swift or Armour & Swift, Macken Park, and maybe one near the YMCA or even NKC Hospital)

These would be really cool to have in the future: West Bottoms, Strawberry Hill (one near either St. John's Park or Huron Park, one near SLAP's / Chicago's ).
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

pash wrote:The system could also really use a station at the Liberty Memorial. Nobody wants to lug a 30-pound tank-bike up that hill from Union Station in order to pedal south into midtown. For the same reason, there needs to be a station near the top of the hill south of the Plaza, in Loose Park or near 51st & Main.

And it seems rather odd that there aren't any stations on the campuses of UMKC or Rockhurst.
There is a station on Main just north of 31st.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

pash wrote:I just noticed that in looking at the map. I had no idea it was there.

But that's a long, unpleasant walk up Main from downtown. I also don't bicycle on Main through midtown on my own bike, and certainly wouldn't recommend it to anybody on a Bcycle bike. Surely bike-share users don't ride in the street on Main, do they? Do they ride on the sidewalk?

The best cycling route between downtown and Westport or the Plaza, in my opinion, is past the memorial, under 31st via Penn Valley Drive/Wyandotte, and then south on Wyandotte or another side street. But there isn't a convenient way to do that using the bike-share without dragging a bike up the hill from Union Station. Maybe I'm underestimating the ability of a typical bike-share user to pedal up the hill via Kessler.
If I was on a B-Cycle I'd bike Grand to Main and then walk the bike up to the station. Or walk up there and pick up a bike and then (quickly) ride down 31st to pick up the route you suggest.

But yeah, there be hills and an absence of bike infrastructure basically everywhere.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Here's an odd question for those of you who have used these: If you rent a b-cycle, does it give you any sort of receipt (paper or email or phone app) that shows when/where it was picked up and when/where it was returned?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

It does if you have an annual pass... Never bought one day to know what it gives you.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

What will it take to get businesses to sponsor and buy a bike station. KC's system is not growing with more stations anywhere near the rate of other cities apparently because there is very little sponsorship here.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Smaller cities than KC have grown far more bike stations via sponsors than KC. There is nothing unique to KC that is an excuse as ridership is apparently decent for what we have. But then again, STL doesn't even have a bikeshare system yet.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

earthling wrote:Smaller cities than KC have grown far more bike stations via sponsors than KC. There is nothing unique to KC that is an excuse as ridership is apparently decent for what we have. But then again, STL doesn't even have a bikeshare system yet.
this isn't hard either to sell. we want companies to pay for the capital costs of stations and the bikes for it and in return they get advertising credit they can use over time to sponsor bikes or get multiple short term ads. As the system grows they gain access to new locations to place them vs all their money going into ads up front that are done and gone.

of course, use should be driven off good stand placement. Companies shouldn't pay and pick the spots (like outside their HQ), instead the sponsorship is about expanding the system in the way to best maximize use and thus the spread and visibility of their advertising.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

But yeah, there be hills and an absence of bike infrastructure basically everywhere.
Yep. These are the biggest obstacles to KC being a truly bike friendly place for commuters and the like.

There are hills, some very large, everywhere. The ride uphill on Main or Grand from Downtown to 31st is like a mile long. It is not the easiest city to cycle, physically, like say STL (City), Chicago, NYC, Minneapolis.

And there is little to no cycling infrastructure. A network of very clearly defined bike lanes AND off-street trails/paths through the urban core would go a long way to help. Currently you just pedal along with traffic and hope to be seen or take somewhat obscure alternate routes.

Now, for off-road, singletrack riding, KC is second to none. Amazing trails throughout the metro - http://urbantrailco.com/
JLowe2018
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by JLowe2018 »

Does anyone know why you can't use cash at the Bike Stations?

I've wanted to try riding these but being a student and not having a credit card of some sort, I'm unable to use them. Adding a pay with cash option like a vending machine would probably really help increase ridership especially with those who have less money and can't afford a car.