KC Bike share

Transportation topics in KC
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: KC Bike share

Post by KCPowercat »

It's kind of funny how people, govt, and leaders couldn't carry less about poor sidewalk conditions, blockages, etc....but now these dockless bikes and scooters are so horrible.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

bspecht wrote:What cities are 'a mess' with them? I've seen these in many cities, and that's just what change-fearing NIMBYs claim.

This will all play out over the next few years, as demand and use cases are further understood – companies will continue to refine & users will come out on top.
Seems to be the cities with several thousand bikes that have the most complaints, like Dallas, DC and Seattle. In Seattle haters are cutting break lines. Dallas cut down the number of bikes. STL and ATL only have a couple hundred dockless bikes and apparently less if any complaints.

Agree dockless can be doable if managed right. Even highly regulated NYC is just now allowing a dockless pilot. KC will have an advantage having both dock-based (reliable locations/multi-bikes) and dockless (flexibility) options. Hopefully both methods can survive in KC.

Dallas...
http://money.cnn.com/2018/02/05/technol ... index.html
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

earthling wrote:Hopefully both methods can survive in KC.
This is the bigger issue for me. I know that competition will lower costs and, perhaps, increase access, but I think it will also dilute the product. Right now, our bike share system seems very well run, clean, maintained, and growing. I’m worried competition will cheapen the product. Bikes will pile up in one spot instead of the orderly system we have now. Growth isn’t always better.
bspecht
New York Life
New York Life

Post by bspecht »

beautyfromashes wrote: This is the bigger issue for me. I know that competition will lower costs and, perhaps, increase access, but I think it will also dilute the product. Right now, our bike share system seems very well run, clean, maintained, and growing. I’m worried competition will cheapen the product. Bikes will pile up in one spot instead of the orderly system we have now. Growth isn’t always better.
I get where you're coming from, but there is no evidence of this in other markets – we're far from the first to have both. In fact, overall ridership and rider diversity have been shown to grow – lifting all ships, etc. I have a very hard time finding bad in more riders on bikes, and this is just another option in the mobility stack – if anything, scooters (well-built) will be significantly more desired.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

bspecht wrote: I get where you're coming from, but there is no evidence of this in other markets – we're far from the first to have both. In fact, overall ridership and rider diversity have been shown to grow – lifting all ships, etc. I have a very hard time finding bad in more riders on bikes, and this is just another option in the mobility stack – if anything, scooters (well-built) will be significantly more desired.
More carriers always eats into profits unless the new carrier brings increased demand by having a differentiated product. I don't think dockless vs. location based brings that differentiation. So, profits per carrier will fall and will be covered by "more efficient" operations, i.e. less frequent maintenance, less frequent filling of empty locations, older bikes, etc. This sounds like a "me too" situation.
bspecht
New York Life
New York Life

Post by bspecht »

beautyfromashes wrote: More carriers always eats into profits unless the new carrier brings increased demand by having a differentiated product. I don't think dockless vs. location based brings that differentiation. So, profits per carrier will fall and will be covered by "more efficient" operations, i.e. less frequent maintenance, less frequent filling of empty locations, older bikes, etc. This sounds like a "me too" situation.
Differentiated product isn't the only thing that grows a pie, but dockless has that. While there's overlap, dockless will create a new user group that would never give B-cycle a shot – because there's a significant difference in friction: figure out where a dock is, figure out kiosk/payment, figure where you can dock (vs) see bike/scooter, download app, ride. B-cycle will still get dedicated & causal riders. Dockless won't be pervasive & geography will be very impactful to demand, but it's another option that fits in & (I believe) helps grow mobility demand.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

^ Yep, just differ in opinions on this one. I guess we'll see. I contend one will float to the top and the other will die out. If either option don't see the other as competition, they better get ready for a fight.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

beautyfromashes wrote:^ Yep, just differ in opinions on this one. I guess we'll see. I contend one will float to the top and the other will die out. If either option don't see the other as competition, they better get ready for a fight.
There's multiple taxi companies serving the same areas today.

Don't under estimate different pricing models letting them all succeed like company A has a high monthly cost and no use fee while company B has no subscription and a high per ride cost. (the former is for regular users, the latter one time like a tourist)
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

That’s a pretty weak differentiator. Do you think a tourist is going to ‘shop around’ to find a bike that is $3/ride vs. $4? And don’t you think the market leader is going to adjust pricing to compete? They’re going to poach each other, which might be good for customer pricing but bad for expansion throughout the city and for quality of product. Good luck in your venture.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Here's a fun video about the "bike angels" in NYC.
https://youtu.be/HWZyfvN7Vg8
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

From the Bike Walk KC newsletter-

Announcing: Bike + Bus Program

BikeWalkKC and RideKC have partnered to make your commute simpler and more affordable. Through the new Bike + Bus program, individuals who purchase a 31-day bus pass can now enjoy unlimited 60-minute bike share trips for no additional cost!

“RideKC is committed to looking beyond buses to connect people to opportunity,” RideKC's CEO Robbie Makinen said. “By partnering with BikeWalkKC to provide a combined bike and bus pass, we are helping people make easier choices while having more access.”

"BikeWalkKC is pleased to partner with RideKC to improve transit options for the community," Director of Bike Share and Business Services Eric Vaughan added. "Including bike share access for no additional cost will provide convenient, healthy transportation alternatives for riders."

The combined Bike + Bus pass is one part of BikeWalkKC's equity project, Bike Share for All. We are grateful for our partnership with RideKC, and support of Bike Share for All from the Health Care Foundation of Greater Kansas City and The H & R Block Foundation.

The Bike + Bus Pass allows unlimited 60-minute BCycle bike share rides and local bus rides all month long. To purchase the pass, press the “Join BCycle” on the kc.bcycle.com website, and select "Bike + Bus Pass" option. The pass is available on a monthly basis. Click here to learn more: https://kc.bcycle.com/buzz/2018/08/28/b ... -august-30.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Bcycle survey..
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/T9JYTW9

The information collected will be used to:

Improve the Kansas City BCycle service
Plan future enhancements and expansions
Provide aggregate information to current and potential sponsors and funders
Provide aggregate information to city planners
Assess the impact of bike sharing on public health, transportation, and economic development.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

New station online, 30th and Troost

Station #41
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Armour/Troost seems to be an ideal next spot. Has MAC been involved with sponsoring stations?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCATA has proposed to take over the B-cycle system from BikeWalkKC. If approved, the system would be rebranded "RideKC Bike" in 2019.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:16 pm KCATA has proposed to take over the B-cycle system from BikeWalkKC. If approved, the system would be rebranded "RideKC Bike" in 2019.
Curious how that works. Do they buy all the assets and hire all employees?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:33 pm
DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:16 pm KCATA has proposed to take over the B-cycle system from BikeWalkKC. If approved, the system would be rebranded "RideKC Bike" in 2019.
Curious how that works. Do they buy all the assets and hire all employees?
Maybe contract with BikeWalk to maintain it?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

The proposal is to transfer the assets and contract with BWKC for operations and maintenance. Staff would not transfer.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Collison has quite a bit more about e-bikeshare hitting KC, apparently not many cities have e-bikeshare...
https://cityscenekc.com/shared-e-bikes- ... ons-first/
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

earthling wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:18 pm Collison has quite a bit more about e-bikeshare hitting KC, apparently not many cities have e-bikeshare...
https://cityscenekc.com/shared-e-bikes- ... ons-first/
B-cycle is only piloting e-bikes in a few select cities. Motivate/Lyft -- the US' largest municipal bikeshare provider -- is also just piloting a few here and there. We might have more than anyone once we get all 150 on the ground in the spring.