KC Bike share

Transportation topics in KC
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: KC Bike share

Post by heatherkay »

I think the problem with the first two-hour free type discount is that the whole system is built around high turnaround of bikes so there is always a bike available in the racks. They have a real incentive to discourage people from sightseeing for hours on the bikes.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

KCPowercat wrote:
droopy wrote:I have a basic question I haven't found an answer to reading thru the KC Bcycle site and thought I'd ask here before emailing them. If I buy an annual membership can I check out 2 bikes at a time? I'm betting no. Don't think the $7 is worth it for the use I want it for this weekend with an out of town friend...will just walk for that.
No. One bike at a time. Friend would pay 24 hour pass.
Thanks, that obviously makes sense since there is a 24hr pass option for my friend to purchase.

I was hoping there might be more benefits to an annual pass than there appear to be. I guess if we're putting together a wish list of what different perks could be, I'd like to add a "buddy pass" for annual pass holders which allows you to get 2 bikes at the same time maybe 5 times per year. I don't know that a 2hr free window is a big perk, I look at the bikes as a way to extend my walking distance without a car rather than exercise or sightseeing/recreation vehicle.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

pash wrote:Agreed. It's set up to be a point-A-to-point-B transit system. Which clearly clashes with some people's expectation that bicycles are for recreation rather than getting places.
exactly. the reality on the ground and the expectations for A to B use don't line up

http://kansascity.bcycle.com/LinkClick. ... &tabid=821

The 24 hour pass is also far and away the most used membership type
The #1 station is closest to the convention center with Saturday the #1 date
non-annual riders are the #1 rider every day of the week
non-annual is the #1 rider every hour of the day except the going to work hours
90% of the 5-mile+ rides are by day passes. the overwhelming majority of long distance rides are by day pass users
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Wow, thanks for linking to that report. Very interesting.

I had no idea that they GPS tracked all bike rides. Very cool how much data they keep on their service (and make available)
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

kboish wrote:Wow, thanks for linking to that report. Very interesting.

I had no idea that they GPS tracked all bike rides. Very cool how much data they keep on their service (and make available)
it's a $2000 bike, it's how they recover them. they let every rider see their usage in the same way as I recall
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

flyingember wrote:

it's a $2000 bike, it's how they recover them. they let every rider see their usage in the same way as I recall
Makes sense. I also figured they had your credit card so they could just bill ya or something.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

flyingember wrote:

My routes have been about 50/50 on being available.

I'm ready for the new stations!!!
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

NY does not allow anyone over 260 lbs from using bike share.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2 ... se-riders/
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

What's the status with adding bike stations to midtown/UMKC area.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

earthling wrote:What's the status with adding bike stations to midtown/UMKC area.
federal funding (CMAQ) was approved, but hasn't yet been allocated.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Was in River Market last two days and noticed a couple parking/locking the bikes outside Farmhouse and got a table. I don't think they knew of the 30 minute limit. Would'n't be surprising if over 50% of users don't know about the 30 minute limit. Is this a major issue?

Also saw someone riding one far away on E39th a couple weeks ago. Can't really imply it was stolen but could have been given no where near the stations. Is this also a problem?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

earthling wrote:Was in River Market last two days and noticed a couple parking/locking the bikes outside Farmhouse and got a table. I don't think they knew of the 30 minute limit. Would'n't be surprising if over 50% of users don't know about the 30 minute limit. Is this a major issue?

Also saw someone riding one far away on E39th a couple weeks ago. Can't really imply it was stolen but could have been given no where near the stations. Is this also a problem?
the 2102 year in review doc shows those far rides are actually quite common, as is longer-term use
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Hey folks, here are some updates and answers to questions....

Pricing strategy - this is bike sharing, not bike rental, thus the pricing structure is intended to encourage multiple short trips and keep bikes in the system available when you walk up to a station. However, if you choose to use it as a bike rental, you have that option. The usage fees are capped at $40 per day, which is very comparable the rates local bike shops charge to rent a bike for a day. You can also check in the bike at 29 minutes and immediately check it back out. That is totally cool with us.

Membership breakdown - Most bike share systems have a very high proportion of short term versus annual members. We are very similar in that regard, though our proportion of short-term users is even higher. We are seeing fewer annual members than anticipated. Our experience is definitely explained by recent news that Downtown has seen a surge in tourists, a 20% drop in employment, and a stagnant residential population constrained by few residential projects in the pipeline.

Multiple Memberships - Everyone who checks out a bike needs a membership, either short term or annual. However, you can put up to four memberships on one credit card. Annual members can create up to four accounts linked to the same card. Walkup customers can swipe the card up to four times to purchase four 24 Hour memberships.

GPS - this is very much a developing technology. KC was one of the first bike share systems with GPS - before bigger systems like Minneapolis and DC - and we continue to work with the vendor to improve the accuracy for annual members who view their data online.

Expansion - We are the only nonprofit bike share system in the US that started up with zero public funding. Most cities used significant local funding or federal grants for capital expenses and initial operations. KCMO provided no local funding and has prioritized the streetcar for federal funding requests. The federal grant in the pipeline was sponsored by Jackson County and will allow us to add 6-8 new stations, but we do not have a timeline for it. The federal procurement process is not quick :) We are also doing private fundraising and grant writing to hopefully increase the expansion beyond 6-8 stations.

North KC - This would obviously be a great extension of the downtown network and a great use of the HOA bridge, but funding would have to be obtained to make it possible. At this time the city officials in NKC are not interested in bringing bike share there. If you are a resident of NKC and bike share, please express that desire to the city government there.

Bike lanes - As the only advocate-owned bike share system, part of our mission is to use bike share as a catalyst improve infrastructure for everyone. Though the city didn't provide any cash, it did commit to install more bike lanes to connect the bike share stations. Grand, 20th, West Pennway, and 18th or 19th are all in progress for 2014. Better late than never :)
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

seems like a grassroots effort in NKC is necessary!
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

dangerboy wrote:Hey folks, here are some updates and answers to questions....
North KC - This would obviously be a great extension of the downtown network and a great use of the HOA bridge, but funding would have to be obtained to make it possible. At this time the city officials in NKC are not interested in bringing bike share there. If you are a resident of NKC and bike share, please express that desire to the city government there.
Wow... a station near Armour & Swift seems like a no-brainer. I wonder what their resistance is?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I see bike share following transit. right now it's time is right for south of the river.

Has there been any study into the freemium structure?

Because the day rate is more than I want to pay but I won't use it enough to get a membership. I'm happy to pay like $2 for the first 15 minutes and a higher rate past that to not need to pay for a membership.

Maybe make it a parallel option to the membership. It encourages using the bikes sparingly as you're charged per checkout. Some people like the usage cost model. They pay less in the end but the bike doesn't stay out nearly as long, increasing turnover.

Maybe make this available only to online acquired cards while the convenience of buying at the kiosk still charges the daily fee.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Really was hoping for the station expansion this summer...guess will have to wait a year.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

B-cycle on a roll, plans to expand beyond downtown KC
The expansion plan, called “Be a Player,” will need some major sponsors. Each docking station costs about $50,000 to install, and the plan calls for building almost three dozen more. B-cycle says the total price tag — less than $2 million — would be a “minimal expense when compared with costs for other modes of transportation.”

The breakdown calls for the Armour Boulevard Zone to have four stations; Hospital Hill, one; Jazz District, one; KU Med, four; South Plaza, two; University, four; Union Hill, three; Westside, two; Museum, four; Westport, five; and Plaza, five.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

decent plan. amazed it doesn't cover at least to the foot of the HOA Bridge bike lane. people want river crossings and then bike share doesn't cover it.