KC Bike share

Transportation topics in KC
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: KC Bike share

Post by loftguy »

flyingember wrote: ...have you talked to the new management of the city market......?
The River Market Community Association (RMCA) and the CID (RMCID) have each made multiyear commitments to pay for the City Market Park and Ride station at the 3rd and Grand Transit Center.

The City Market proper is operated on an austerity budget and there isn't anything to be squeezed out of them for an additional station.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

loftguy wrote:
flyingember wrote: ...have you talked to the new management of the city market......?
The River Market Community Association (RMCA) and the CID (RMCID) have each made multiyear commitments to pay for the City Market Park and Ride station at the 3rd and Grand Transit Center.

The City Market proper is operated on an austerity budget and there isn't anything to be squeezed out of them for an additional station.
good information to know.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Bcycle will be back up and running by next week. Time to update annual pass...

http://kc.bcycle.com
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Annual pass shouldn't expire until July at the earliest.

Really interesting data in their annual report if you like stats. The gps data at the end is the most interesting. Crazy how far away from downtown people rode bikes.

Also excited to see where the 8 new stations go.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Ah, I was thinking it was a season pass but I guess that makes sense since it's not a pro-rated pass. If someone buys one at end of season, it should apply through a full year.

dangerboy, any word on location for new stations and when?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

KCPowercat wrote: Really interesting data in their annual report if you like stats. The gps data at the end is the most interesting. Crazy how far away from downtown people rode bikes.
Yeah, check out last page. I wonder if those riders understood there is a 30 minute limit between stations...

http://kansascity.bcycle.com/Portals/18 ... report.pdf
Last edited by earthling on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

Too bad it doesn't show North Kansas City. I rode across the Heart of America on the bike lane, and it was an easy trip to NKC and the little downtown strip up there. Wonder how many others have made that trip? Might be a good place to put a kiosk.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

earthling wrote:
KCPowercat wrote: Really interesting data in their annual report if you like stats. The gps data at the end is the most interesting. Crazy how far away from downtown people rode bikes.
Yeah, check out last page. I wonder if those riders understood there is a 30 minute limit between stations...

http://kansascity.bcycle.com/Portals/18 ... report.pdf
the membership type usage graph is a big deal for the system. because the 24 hour memberships are doubtless the most profitable
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Agreed ember, I'm sure the love seeing that. It surprised me how high it was. Great news. Also cool to see that barney Allis was such a popular station, definitely tourist based there.

Not sure I'd be brave enough to rent a bike in a new city but looks like plenty of people did it.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Some interesting stats...
27% of bike share users are also regular transit users.
20% have a monthly bus pass.

Most popular bus routes (apparently using bike racks on bus)
1. MAX Orange Line (Main Street)
2. #51 Ward Parkway
3. MAX Green Line (Troost)
4. #47 Broadway
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

When I ride my bike to work downtown, I often "cheat" coming home and take the Orange Line MAX to get back up the hill to midtown.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCPowercat wrote: Not sure I'd be brave enough to rent a bike in a new city but looks like plenty of people did it.
I one time took my bike to St. Louis (2006?) and rode around downtown. It was easier and quicker than walking the same area. The problem was at the time there wasn't even a hint of making that city bike friendly so it was a bit of a pain.

The thing I think about with the bike share system is that with a bike you can decide to go further. That place that sounds interesting 5 blocks away is perceived to be more accessible. If the station placement works. KC's network is a mostly reasonable network for tourists downtown.

I considered using bike share in Chicago except the bcycle system there was pitiful and overpriced. I noticed they dropped stations and now are closed completely. they never put stops anywhere helpful. the closest to the L was a 4 block walk and then one had so few docks that were anywhere of note. they never became part of the whole transit system

my big issue is none of the systems are family friendly. if one of the bike share networks can work that out they'll do better with tourists

i.e.
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&saf ... ACw#imgrc=_
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

DaveKCMO wrote:big f*cking deal, right here: http://dc.streetsblog.org/2013/03/15/lo ... 15-cities/
I wonder why they would leave exactly one of their systems off this?

Greenville, SC.
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

I have a basic question I haven't found an answer to reading thru the KC Bcycle site and thought I'd ask here before emailing them. If I buy an annual membership can I check out 2 bikes at a time? I'm betting no. Don't think the $7 is worth it for the use I want it for this weekend with an out of town friend...will just walk for that.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

droopy wrote:I have a basic question I haven't found an answer to reading thru the KC Bcycle site and thought I'd ask here before emailing them. If I buy an annual membership can I check out 2 bikes at a time? I'm betting no. Don't think the $7 is worth it for the use I want it for this weekend with an out of town friend...will just walk for that.
No. One bike at a time. Friend would pay 24 hour pass.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I know for certain I paid more for our week passes in New Orleans than the per fare cost of the trips we made. I'm fine with that since it meant not worrying about paying for the streetcar the rest of the trip, the card allowed for convenience.

Their pricing plan is missing three things

the whole multi-account setup. Like two cards, one bike at a time (share a membership with a spouse, maybe for $10 more), family discounts to push buying access for everyone in the family, buy two for 1.5x of one. that kind of thing. people like a discount, even if it's token. 10% off grabs more attention than full price.

the day passes need some discount for multiple the same way, like buy 3 for the price of 4. the use fees of a successful bike ride is worth it over the up front loss.

And premium subscription plans. Like if you buy the premium plan you get the first two hours free and then a per hour discount.
There's plenty of people who would rather pay more up front and have to watch the clock less. it's why people buy the transit cards.

Year Discount: $65
Year unlimited: $150

Month Discount: $25
Month Unlimited: $75

Week Discount: $15 + per time fee
Week unlimited: $50

Day Discount: $7 + per time fee
Day unlimited: $20

and the cheap but higher tarrif plan

like I pay $10 for a yearly membership but I lose the first hour free benefit. It would cost more after 28 rides but maybe I only make 3-4 rides per year. Instead I buy the no discount plan online and they make $18 from me instead of $0. I wouldn't pay $7 per ride and I know I won't pay $65 for infrequent usage.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

flyingember wrote:the day passes need some discount for multiple the same way, like buy 3 for the price of 4.
3 for the price of 4. What a discount.
:)
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:
flyingember wrote:the day passes need some discount for multiple the same way, like buy 3 for the price of 4.
3 for the price of 4. What a discount.
:)
well, that was backwards of me. 4 for the price of 3 of course.