KC Bike share

Transportation topics in KC
smh
Supporter

Re: KC Bike share

Post by smh »

earthling wrote:^Would hope that means moved somewhere else than removed from the system.

Some places that would seem to make sense...
Armour/Gilham or @Broadway or @Troost
Hospital Hill (they should sponsor a new station though)
Plaza Library-50s/Main stretch (this is turning into a decent 'restaurant row')
Is there any desire for other downtown locations? Seems decently covered for now.

This is a survey BikeKC just put out for the Gilham corridor via Bcycle website so that might be next focus...
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/Gillham
I'd really like a station in Crossroads somewhere around 16/17th and Walnut. Could be at the streetcar stop, could be on Grand. I just feel like there's a zone there that I'd ride to but don't often b/c the stations are at 20th/Grand or 19th/Central.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Last edited by earthling on Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Last edited by earthling on Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Last day to take advantage of deal above. Anyone do it?

Even if you have a bike, having an annual pass makes it convenient to grab a bike when out and about. And it expands places to go from transit stops. Is a no brainer if you live along the system.

Station map...
https://kc.bcycle.com/station-map
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

JoCo targeting to start with 70 bikes next year. Topeka starts what sounds like a smartbike system with dumb racks, implying a bit more structure than stationless...
http://www.kansascity.com/news/politics ... 24339.html
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

westside x2, columbus park, north crossroads would all be nice additions downtown.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

I'd just like to say, that while the expensive barrier to entry of having a station in your neighborhood is unfortunate, I was just in Dallas, and their non-station bike system is all f-ed up. They have bikes that are self locking and can be left/picked up anywhere. People have taken to just dropping them in parking lots and streets, propped up against stop signs and lying on the ground all over the place. That way sounds innovative and cool until you see those bikes thrown all over the city. People are the worst. There are some countries in the world where people would never dream of treating a company's property like this, but we are not one of them.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Sounds like some smart bike systems are now giving it more structure that require leaving in a regular bike rack - Topeka seems to be doing this. An extra layer of structure would be to require city permits for bike racks to be used by any public bikeshare system. It would mean a City Database that bikeshare systems can access so might be too much overhead involved for some cities. Some form of designated dumb bike racks seems to be the way to go though.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

If anyone wants to see in detail how NKC implemented bike share, this document is useful

http://www.nkc.org/common/pages/Display ... Id=6986459
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Our dockless B-cycle, in town for a demo:

earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Dockless can work if it has some structure like designated 'dumb' bike racks that must be used. Would think at some point dockless will overtake dock-based as it matures and gains some common structure - aligned with City guidelines/regulations if necessary.

Like the smaller frame, looks as if it might be lighter. And would hope they target both large and small collapsible front baskets.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

earthling wrote:Dockless can work if it has some structure like designated 'dumb' bike racks that must be used. Would think at some point dockless will overtake dock-based as it matures and gains some common structure - aligned with City guidelines/regulations if necessary.

Like the smaller frame, looks as if it might be lighter. And would hope they target both large and small collapsible front baskets.
So dockless can work when it has a mandatory dock? :D
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Yeah sounds counter-intuitive to original intent of dockless but it probably does need to be some kind of hybrid with some structure. So dockless technology but still need some form of designated/allowed places to 'check a bike back in'. At least with 'dumb' racks it could be more quickly/cheaply deployed, with designated locations that show up on a map app.
tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tower »

You could also just designate existing racks. Maybe they could even put a feature in the apps so that business owners can put in a rack on their own and submit it to be recognized as a designated rack.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

earthling wrote:Yeah sounds counter-intuitive to original intent of dockless but it probably does need to be some kind of hybrid with some structure. So dockless technology but still need some form of designated/allowed places to 'check a bike back in'. At least with 'dumb' racks it could be more quickly/cheaply deployed, with designated locations that show up on a map app.
I agree with you, just giving you a little trouble. ;) The smaller footprint would be a positive if they can handle it well.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Some form of dock is needed. I guarantee that a full dockless system would only make everyone kinda hate it. Dallas looks like a bunch of people were raptured from Earth. However, it would be amazing if we could find a middle ground where it didn't cost so much to implement a new rack.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

bobbyhawks wrote:Some form of dock is needed. I guarantee that a full dockless system would only make everyone kinda hate it. Dallas looks like a bunch of people were raptured from Earth. However, it would be amazing if we could find a middle ground where it didn't cost so much to implement a new rack.
I haven’t thought of anything more than some kind of low power beacon and you return the bike close enough it can read the beacon. Can use the cheaper bike racks or just designate a spot to return to like placing the beacon on a wall.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Possible expansion to the rock island trail

http://do816.com/events/2018/2/7/rock-i ... demo-event
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Not "possible", it's planned and funded. As soon a December of this year. This is just a community PR event.
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

I was in Dallas this week. LimeBike/Ofo bikes were indeed everywhere and honestly a little intruding on spaces, but they all had to clean up the bikes by yesterday or face penalties or removal by the city. I barely saw anyone riding them, but overall they seemed like a good idea. They just need a little more execution/planning.