KC Bike share

Transportation topics in KC
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: KC Bike share

Post by DaveKCMO »

page 2 of this PDF shows "BikeShareKC Phase 2" receiving $500,000 in 2013 federal CMAQ funding: http://www.marc.org/transportation/cmaq ... Awards.pdf

however, they haven't made a formal announcement yet. if you know any neighborhood leaders in midtown/plaza area that would like to lobby for a station, please contact bikewalkkc:

http://bikewalkkc.org/contact-us
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

heatherkay wrote:Such good news. Definitely makes the MAX more usable.
Hopefully there will be a station at 39th & Main. I can definitely imagine MAXing it and riding a B-Cycle from there to Westport/Broadway.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

right of way will be an issue at 39th and main. those sidewalks aren't wide enough. where else might one go at that intersection?
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

There is almost no point in having this service expand to Midtown if they don't put a station at 39th and Main. It could go a block W of Main on 39th. Or maybe the Katz parking lot -- that megachurch might be persuaded. They also need stations at 39th and State Line/KUMC, a couple on the Plaza, the Nelson/KCAI, Westport/Sunfresh, and Penn Valley CC/Park.

ETA -- how about that weird little triangle park at 40th and Main?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

DaveKCMO wrote:right of way will be an issue at 39th and main. those sidewalks aren't wide enough. where else might one go at that intersection?
make a deal with the CVS for free advertising space to use part of their parking lot.

as a health product store they fit in well with the theme too.
it's also the kind of destination a lot of people would want to go to
Last edited by flyingember on Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

So assuming 10-12 stations for Midtown/Plaza, here is my wish list for station locations...
Plaza MAX Stop (or Mill Creek Park fountain)
Plaza near Cinemark movies
43rd MAX stop
Near Art Institute
39th MAX stop (CVS lot?)
Westport/Broadway
Westport Sunfresh
39th/Broadway (Walgreens)
Armour MAX stop
Armour Broadway or near Penn Valley CC

Future (or swap some of above)...
UMKC center
UMKC MAX stop
UMKC Troost stop
Plaza library MAX stop
w39th/Volker/Roanoke area
31st/Broadway/Penn Valley area
31st MAX stop
Martini Corner
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

flyingember wrote:
DaveKCMO wrote:right of way will be an issue at 39th and main. those sidewalks aren't wide enough. where else might one go at that intersection?
make a deal with the CVS for free advertising space to use part of their parking lot.

as a health product store they fit in well with the theme too.
it's also the kind of destination a lot of people would want to go to
It would be a cheap way for them to "give back". Occasionally they seem inclined to do such things...
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

earthling wrote:So assuming 10-12 stations for Midtown/Plaza, here is my wish list for station locations...
Plaza MAX Stop (or Mill Creek Park fountain)
Plaza near Cinemark movies
43rd MAX stop
Near Art Institute
39th MAX stop (CVS lot?)
Westport/Broadway
Westport Sunfresh
39th/Broadway (Walgreens)
Armour MAX stop
Armour Broadway or near Penn Valley CC

Future (or swap some of above)...
UMKC center
UMKC MAX stop
UMKC Troost stop
Plaza library MAX stop
w39th/Volker/Roanoke area
31st/Broadway/Penn Valley area
31st MAX stop
Martini Corner
these two are really close. I'd put one at the grocery store and move the other to to somewhere else
Westport/Broadway
Westport Sunfresh

what about tourist spots? we need to drive it's use by people buying profitable day passes since the point about using it drives expansion.

for the art institute put it on the corner of 45th/Oak and share with the Nelson. the Nelson draws far more people by a huge margin
what about at the Liberty Memorial?
The Kauffman Center?
Why put a station at 43rd and Main when you can put one at 47th and Main? That end of Mill Creek park gets 1000x the people easy.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

Westport/Broadway and 39th/Broadway also very close. I know this might be my personal bias, but I really think you have to have one of these at 39th and State line for the restaurants, the park/community center, and the med center.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

earthling wrote:Consentino's and W side of River Market (on DE) need stations but otherwise it's time to expand to midtown/Plaza.
These are the two I wanted added as well. Maybe like 14th and main though to help north crossroads too.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

KCPowercat wrote:
earthling wrote:Consentino's and W side of River Market (on DE) need stations but otherwise it's time to expand to midtown/Plaza.
These are the two I wanted added as well. Maybe like 14th and main though to help north crossroads too.
I'd also like Southwest Boulevard and Summit, and 17th and Summit to be added.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Westside would be very nice. Martini corner would be nice but that may very well be included in midtown plans.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

I can answer a few of these questions...

We are actively fundraising to add stations Downtown and expand to KCK, Midtown, Plaza, and UMKC areas. As a non-profit we rely on donations, grants, and corporate sponsorships to make this happen. So far we have received no public funding.

The $500,000 CMAQ grant at MARC was our requested amount. We only received $257,000. In the last six months we have applied for a total of $1.1 Million from MARC in various federal transportation and sustainability programs, but have only been awarded a quarter of that amount.

As soon as we make up the difference we will begin more detailed expansion planning, including a big public input process for siting new stations.

In the mean time, there are several ways that individuals can support bike share in KC...

1. Become an annual member. Even if you aren't downtown much to use it, every member helps us.
2. Make donation to "Bike Share KC, 208 West 19th Street, 64108"
3. Ask your employer to buy ads on the bikes, become corporate sponsors, and/or buy bike share memberships for employees.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

dangerboy, has there been any effort to get businesses/schools to sponsor their own stations? UMKC should sponsor their own. Plaza/Highwoods should sponsor their own stations as well. I know they are expensive but for those two it should be worth it.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

KU Med would probably sponsor one as well, and maybe Penn Valley CC
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

earthling wrote:dangerboy, has there been any effort to get businesses/schools to sponsor their own stations? UMKC should sponsor their own. Plaza/Highwoods should sponsor their own stations as well. I know they are expensive but for those two it should be worth it.
Yes, if you can think of a business or institution, there is a really good chance they are on our list or have already been asked. We are always looking for referrals to decision makers at these organizations...
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

how much to sponsor a station with min/max bike slots? is sponsorship per year?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

dangerboy wrote:
earthling wrote:dangerboy, has there been any effort to get businesses/schools to sponsor their own stations? UMKC should sponsor their own. Plaza/Highwoods should sponsor their own stations as well. I know they are expensive but for those two it should be worth it.
Yes, if you can think of a business or institution, there is a really good chance they are on our list or have already been asked. We are always looking for referrals to decision makers at these organizations...
have you talked to the new management of the city market or the new owner of city center square?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

The new MARC approved project to add bike lanes will be a nice compliment to the bike share.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

earthling wrote:how much to sponsor a station with min/max bike slots? is sponsorship per year?
dangerboy, found this...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ijisvbctbio8z ... orship.pdf#

So how does sponsorship work? It looks like a biz can sponsor for advertising but how does a location sponsor a station to be located on their site, and how much?