Generic ongoing KCATA thread

Transportation topics in KC
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Generic ongoing KCATA thread

Post by KCPowercat »

Everytime I use the mobile boarding it seems to piss off the drivers. No idea why. Just now I got told "it's upside down" when tapping the verify button for him. Before it's been "you did it too fast" among other complaints. WTF?
mykn

Post by mykn »

KCPowercat wrote:Everytime I use the mobile boarding it seems to piss off the drivers. No idea why. Just now I got told "it's upside down" when tapping the verify button for him. Before it's been "you did it too fast" among other complaints. WTF?
I either get a driver that doesn't seem to care and just waves me by, or someone who deeply interrogates me, "ya gotta tap it, now tap it again".
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Maybe it's time for a training refresher. We get very little feedback on this type of thing. Tell people to use the "Send Feedback" feature!
mykn

Post by mykn »

Overall it’s so much quicker than paper tickets or paying at onboarding. Really enjoy using the app.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Same experience here. Mostly get an annoyed wave through. But, being a bus driver is probably a high stress job in general. I don’t suppose that personality and relationship with the public is high on the job skill search. Shame though cause they are a major representation of the city to out of towners.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Seems they would like it more as it's faster and don't have to deal with people fumbling with coins....guess they are used to the swipe and beep motion where they don't even have to look at the passenger
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

KCPowercat wrote:Everytime I use the mobile boarding it seems to piss off the drivers. No idea why. Just now I got told "it's upside down" when tapping the verify button for him. Before it's been "you did it too fast" among other complaints. WTF?
Seems they want to see the time moving, not the change to verify. I haven't had issues when holding it up with the countdown timer moving, but did get snarled at doing the verify back and forth. I just hold it up until getting a head nod or when they're heading to press fare button.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

I used to tap Verify in front of them until I had one driver get annoyed that he couldn't see the numbers changing. Now I hit Verify before I board and hold up the phone for them to see "Verified" with changing numbers. That has been working without issue for a couple weeks now.

I also noticed this morning on my bus a small box on the dash by the front door with a screen. What is that for? I didn't get a look at it up close.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Eon Blue wrote:I used to tap Verify in front of them until I had one driver get annoyed that he couldn't see the numbers changing. Now I hit Verify before I board and hold up the phone for them to see "Verified" with changing numbers. That has been working without issue for a couple weeks now.

I also noticed this morning on my bus a small box on the dash by the front door with a screen. What is that for? I didn't get a look at it up close.
New test! That's an electronic validator to be used with the mobile app. Email appsupport@ridekc.org if you want to participate in the test.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

beautyfromashes wrote:But, being a bus driver is probably a high stress job in general. I don’t suppose that personality and relationship with the public is high on the job skill search. Shame though cause they are a major representation of the city to out of towners.
They probably look for drivers that have a no nonsense personality and are able to handle difficult riders appropriately. A chatty driver is probably found to just delay service. A little terseness for good on time performance is a fine tradeoff.

Look at the streetcar thread and how much of it is talking about it moving quicker, signal priority and such. Comments about interactions with the driver are all but nonexistent and discouraged and clearly people don't mind.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Eric Bowers' father, Charlie, used to drive the Broadway route, and he was among the friendliest drivers in town. I can't remember Eric's screen name when he used to hang here.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

DaveKCMO wrote:
Eon Blue wrote:I used to tap Verify in front of them until I had one driver get annoyed that he couldn't see the numbers changing. Now I hit Verify before I board and hold up the phone for them to see "Verified" with changing numbers. That has been working without issue for a couple weeks now.

New test! That's an electronic validator to be used with the mobile app. Email appsupport@ridekc.org if you want to participate in the test.
Does that use NFC?
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

FangKC wrote:Eric Bowers' father, Charlie, used to drive the Broadway route, and he was among the friendliest drivers in town. I can't remember Eric's screen name when he used to hang here.
Tosspot
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

shinatoo wrote:
FangKC wrote:Eric Bowers' father, Charlie, used to drive the Broadway route, and he was among the friendliest drivers in town. I can't remember Eric's screen name when he used to hang here.
Tosspot
He would also have had something to say about your overuse of commas.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

earthling wrote:
DaveKCMO wrote:

Does that use NFC?
The validators support NFC, but with the mobile app it's simple QR code scanning (which is quite fast and more ubiquitous than NFC).
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

RFP going out for redevelopment of vacant KCATA land at 18th & Troost.
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

Why is the Troost MAX buses running down Broadway now? If this is a "permanent" change it'd be nice if they added a stop over here for us residents!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

gfenn11 wrote:Why is the Troost MAX buses running down Broadway now? If this is a "permanent" change it'd be nice if they added a stop over here for us residents!
http://ridekc.org/bulletins/ridekc-buse ... 1th-street
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Sexy new upholstery!

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Hopefully not too sexy