Generic ongoing KCATA thread

Transportation topics in KC
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Generic ongoing KCATA thread

Post by DaveKCMO »

my regular morning run of route #51 was sporting a new bus this morning. nice!
enough
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by enough »

in reply to question asked by kc-wildcat in the downtown streetcar thread:

kcata doesn't do a very good job of reporting its operating statistics.  i'm hoping that ridership and other such stats will be included in the individual route profiles that will be posted in a couple of months as part of their comprehensive service analysis.

there's a table of the ata's top 25 routes on page 14 of the transit chapter of marc's long-range transportation plan:
http://www.marc.org/2040/assets/plan/5. ... tation.pdf

try to overlook the fact that marc published average daily ridership for these routes to the nearest hundredth of a rider.  
Last edited by enough on Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Actually that was me. Thanks!
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
enough
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by enough »

oops. ;)
enough
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by enough »

post withdrawn.
xorg
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by xorg »

http://www.kcata.org/documents/uploads/MMProposal.pdf

Proposed Average MAX Orange Headways Plaza to RM...
Weekday
AM Peak 10 minutes
Midday 10 (from 15)
PM Peak 10
Evening 15 (from 30)

Saturday 15
Sunday 30

There are really only 2 changes but it does help. Was hoping for Sunday having 15 min all day long. The buses get pretty crowded on Sundays now, so is worth doing 15 as 30 min is also too long of a wait. The ATA needs to straighten out MAX downtown before getting rid of the 57 line. MAX takes much too long to get from Plaza to RM.
enough
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by enough »

kcata has posted route-by-route recommendations for service changes from its comprehensive service analysis:
http://www.kcata.org/maps_schedules/proposed_changes/
an analysis for each route is available and comments can be posted via online form or email, or in writing or by phone.

of particular interest to people on this forum is the recommendation to combine main street max with route 57. this would even out service and eliminate the problem of max and 57 occasionally following each other at very close intervals. with that combination, max frequencies would be improved to every 10 minutes throughout the day. on the down side, service would no longer be provided to intermediate stops between crown center and the plaza. i didn't see any recommendations for changing the max alignment downtown. nor did i see a recommendation for extending max short trips to 51st to better serve umkc.

with the elimination of 57, route 156 would be extended northward from waldo to the plaza along the 57 alignment, thereby connecting red bridge and the plaza with a single-seat ride.

i haven't looked at other routes yet, but based on the nelson/nygaard presentation to the kcata board two weeks ago, i know there are interesting (and controversial) recommendations for many of the other routes.

gentlemen (and ladies), start your comment-writing engines.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

those sound like good changes to me!
enough
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by enough »

for further discussion of the comprehensive service analysis, please see the "kcata comprehensive service analysis" thread.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Anybody else walk around 10th and main consistently and find the buses are very bad at observing and or yielding to pedestrians? I swear I about get hit or feel the bus inches towards me as I cross on a weekly basis.
enough
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by enough »

10th and main is a borderline chaotic location, what with the traffic and peds (including me) who cross mid-block to and from the library and commerce bank building. i don't know that kcata (and johnson county transit) drivers are worse than anybody else, but calling it to their attention can't hurt. maybe we'll see another temporary crackdown by police against jaywalking (and motorists failing to yield) as a result.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'm even saying at the marked pedestrian crossing.....sit and watch the 47 and 51 especially turning right from 10th to main....its consistently hostile to pedestrians.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

201 bus....why?? Nobody is ever getting off or on it....and they lay it over in a horrible place for way too long on 10th st.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote:201 bus....why?? Nobody is ever getting off or on it....and they lay it over in a horrible place for way too long on 10th st.
because the downtown airport is totally inaccessible unless you're in a car. they just started the route, so give it a chance.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I know they just started it and I'm good with trying to serve that area.....did someone really request it?????

My only issue is where they lay it over....throw it back by the 51 or 173...sitting on 10th during rush hours for 15 minutes seems to really be causing backups.
enough
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by enough »

KCPowercat wrote:I know they just started it and I'm good with trying to serve that area.....did someone really request it?????

My only issue is where they lay it over....throw it back by the 51 or 173...sitting on 10th during rush hours for 15 minutes seems to really be causing backups.
i have echoed your observations about 201 to kcata and added a few of my own. i also rode one of the evening trips to wheeler airport -- i was the only passenger northbound and there was one other passenger southbound. has there been any change yet in their layover practices?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Boehner wants to kill transit funding

http://grist.org/politics/boehners-last ... t-funding/
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Coalition forms to stop House from ending dedicated funding for mass transit

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/b ... e_kan_rdup
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote:201 bus....why?? Nobody is ever getting off or on it....and they lay it over in a horrible place for way too long on 10th st.
Would this have anything to do with KC going after the FAA training facility?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Very good observation. It even runs down 11th after leaving the transit center.